Raildriver and 2010? Worth it?

Thad09

This is a User Title
Hello all users of Raildriver

I am considering getting the RailDriver Desktop Cab Controller for my 2 computers. They both operate 2010 with build 43434. One version of the game is on Windows XP Sp3 and the other is on Win 7 64 home version.

I ask you all these questions:
1) is it compatible with 2010
2) dose anyone operate it with 2010
A) if so, how are the contols in cab mode
B) dose everything fit, i.e. do the throttles match up, speed wise?
3) is it worth spending $200?

If I do get it, a 37" TV shall be my new monitor and I shall be running heavy trains left and right.:D

Thad09

EDIT: my 100th post! :)

Not meaning to double post here, yet after checking the website, it says that it is compatible with '10 on win7. I would like to know if anybody out there is running the controler on win7 with '10 instaled. If not, I could use my XP insted to run the controller on, thats if I get it. Would like some feed back. Other threads don't really seem to help me much regarding this issue.

I don't have Win7, still running XP, but I can tell you about my experience with Raildriver. I bought mine in 2003 when they first came out, ran it with MSTS on Win 98SE;

AMD K6-2 450
AMD Thunderbird 800
AMD Palomino 1400

Win XP;
Gateway 1.9ghz
Dell 2.8GHZ

Also ran Rail Simulator and Railworks, then TRS2004 and currently TS2010 on the Dell. Railsim/Railworks required some diddling to get the Raildriver interface software to run, Trainz 2004 and 2010 drivers worked out of the box - with a few exceptions. The LED speed readout on the Raildriver console only works when the engine you're driving has a working speedometer in the cabview file, and some engine spec files (mostly steam) do not respond to the Raildriver throttle and reverser levers. Most of the diesels and electrics work fine, several of the steam locos do not, but there's supposed to be a new interface in the works that may resolve those issues.

Bottom line, nearly 8 years of constant use (and abuse from grandkids trying to destroy it) on five computers, 2 operating systems, and 3 different train simulators, I'd say I got my money's worth out of my Raildriver. :cool:

Raildriver

You are lucky with your stuff. I bought Sim 2010 Engineers for my Windows 7 32 bit rig---and it never has run properly. Freezes etc.Build 42203--and the patches don't work--nor the updates. Great to hear of your success.

sklw

You are lucky with your stuff. I bought Sim 2010 Engineers for my Windows 7 32 bit rig---and it never has run properly. Freezes etc.Build 42203--and the patches don't work--nor the updates. Great to hear of your success.

sklw

If you are having patching issues, you need to create your own thread.

Shane

Win7 64bit TS10 works OK but there is a bug that the engine file for the loco(s) that you run are left open for edit but will commit when you start up again.

Win7 64bit TS10 works OK but there is a bug that the engine file for the loco(s) that you run are left open for edit but will commit when you start up again.
OK that sounds good? Right? I think now I need to find some money for this thing.

I just recieved mine over a week ago, ordered from walthers, I had no issues what so ever with them, and recieved it in a very reasonable time. In all honesty, I dont know how I got along without one.... cheers:wave:

I just recieved mine over a week ago, ordered from walthers, I had no issues what so ever with them, and recieved it in a very reasonable time. In all honesty, I dont know how I got along without one.... cheers:wave:
Good to know, I already placed an order, at about 2pm, still waiting for an order #. I know that it is a Sunday here in Texas, and no one is at work today, yet I am used to the automatic Emailing of the seller saying that the order was recieved. For a $179, good deal!

The Mother of All Desktop Controllers...

:cool: Walthers is an old name in practically all popular gauges of scale model railroading. They are trustworthy.

The link was really aimed at US-Americans, delivery costs to other countries might not make it practical.

As you see from the suggested retail price of $199, RailDriver may be too much for some. $179 is a little better at best.

I do recommend RailDriver for train simulation as far as Diesel-electric & electric locomotives are concerned...they don't yet support steam.

:cool: Walthers is an old name...I do recommend RailDriver for train simulation as far as Diesel-electric & electric locomotives are concerned...they don't yet support steam.
Again, good to know! Just need to wait for it to ship now.

Back