Question on hump yard element at destination tracks

ek.skirl

In an Youtube video (
) I saw some thing rolling down the destination tracks (from timestamp 2:30 and 3:17 from.
Does anyone know what is it for and how does it work?

I don't know what those are either.

I thought the wagons were coupled to these initially, but then I noticed that they stop just at the switches and are moved after the fact.

Could that be some kind of cable hauled device to assist with pushing the wagons closer to each other to make coupling easier?

These devices are used to push any cars that stop before reaching the string of cars that already stands on the receiving tracks. In fact, when they are at rest they are positioned at the very beginning of the receiving track. When we still had hump yards here in Italy, before some genius decided that unit trains were the future, they were called "spintori" (pushers).

Even though modern hump yards are equipped with a series of sensors and devices that should predict where the car would stop, some unpredictable factors still remain (e.g. a gust of wind or simply a car with greater friction than expected, perhaps due to the condition of its bearings)

Could that be some kind of cable hauled device to assist with pushing the wagons closer to each other to make coupling easier?
Interesting question.
These devices are used to push any cars that stop before reaching the string of cars that already stands on the receiving tracks.
Ah, its a kind of forward driving the cars to couple distance. Very interesting.
Thankyou.

Interesting museum. That moving bumper is amazing. From what I can tell, they are hauled by cables from the machine works located under the switch tower.

Back