Pigtail Line (Sauschwänzlebahn) - issues

hutten

Hello,
The large discount offer has led me to the purchase of some items. One of these is the Pigtail Line. It is fairly detailed, but what is this? The signals lights are not visible on the approach side. The speedtrees are unpleasant, they change their appearance in a distracting manner several times when you get closer. There are much better types of speedtrees around. And the bushes and shrubs are not very convincing either.
Come on, N3V, I expect some quality for my TRS22 game. I am disappointed. Fortunately this was a bargain.
Can I expect an upgrade in the near future?

Paul

Check your video settings in-game under the three-bar menu in the upper left corner for trees you can increase the details for Speed Trees. I can't help you with the signal issue.

I agree. Like you I took advantage of the recent sale to buy several routes, all by ProTrainz, and I've seen the same thing. There are trees on each route which remain as solid "blobs" (for want of a better word) until you get quite close to them and then they "pop" into nicely detailed assets. I assume it is to do with their lod settings? But it is very irritating to have all these "blobs" popping in and out of clarity, quite close to the camera, while moving around the routes. And all my settings mentioned above are set to max.

I can't post any pics of what I mean as the gallery seems to be having some issues, but it is very dissapointing for a payware route. I guess it's not so bad seeing as I got them at such a discount. But I'd be really annoyed if I'd payed full price for these routes and then discovered this.

Cheers,
Piere.

I agree. Like you I took advantage of the recent sale to buy several routes, all by ProTrainz, and I've seen the same thing. There are trees on each route which remain as solid "blobs" (for want of a better word) until you get quite close to them and then they "pop" into nicely detailed assets. I assume it is to do with their lod settings? But it is very irritating to have all these "blobs" popping in and out of clarity, quite close to the camera, while moving around the routes. And all my settings mentioned above are set to max.

I can't post any pics of what I mean as the gallery seems to be having some issues, but it is very dissapointing for a payware route. I guess it's not so bad seeing as I got them at such a discount. But I'd be really annoyed if I'd payed full price for these routes and then discovered this.

Cheers,
Piere.

Some of this is shadows. I've noticed that no matter what time of day it is shadows will pop-up making trees change darker as you get closer. In fact, I turned shadows off. Try it yourself and check the results. Shadows is just not worth all the color "popping" and "changing" to me. I also don't like "chasing" rail shadows. It looks like poor rendering. I had shadows on Ultra by the way (I have an RTX 4070 gpu and it was running 75% with shadows on Ultra so it's not the gpu.) I enjoy the views much more with shadows off.

Thanks for the reactions. All my settings for trees and scenery are at their maximum. And I do not feel like turning the shadows off to get rid of color changes. With those speedtrees in the Pigtail Line it is not only color changes, there is a considerable change in the shape of the tree and the aspect of the foliage as well.
It is simply disappointing. In my opinion it is reasonable to expect better quality.

Paul

Thanks for the reactions. All my settings for trees and scenery are at their maximum. And I do not feel like turning the shadows off to get rid of color changes. With those speedtrees in the Pigtail Line it is not only color changes, there is a considerable change in the shape of the tree and the aspect of the foliage as well.
It is simply disappointing. In my opinion it is reasonable to expect better quality.

Paul
Did you try it with shadows off? The shadows have quite an effect that in my opinion, in some of the shape and aspects you describe. But it may just be me. With shadows off the trees are much more "stable" (only way I can describe it.) Anyway, do what works for you.

OK. Now that the gallery seems to be back online, I can post some examples:

This is on the "Pigtail Line" as mentioned by the OP.
My-Trainz-Screenshot-Image.jpg

This is on Brocken. Those grey "blades" you see, "pop" into the tall, dead trees in the foreground.

And these are on Yellowstone Mountain.

When I first saw them, I thought I just needed to wait for all the assets to cache properly but, no, they stay like this, no matter how long I wait.

I think it's pretty obvious that these aren't a settings or shadows issue. They are just quite poorly LODed assets which detract significantly from what are otherwise very nice routes. Not what I was expecting from payware though.

Cheers,
Piere.

Last edited:
Hello Piere.

Thanks for the pictures. But that is worse than in my case. Those blobs, I do not see such blobs at large distance. I see reasonable trees, but they change at least twice before i get near to them. And that is annoying enough.
But those blobs are even worse.
I am curious to hear more reactions.

Paul

I would be very disappointed if I had purchased that, it should look better. I think I would try bulk replacing those trees, but you can't always do that with payware? And what is with the high stumps in the second pic? Does anyone cut trees with that much waste? This is definitely a case where editing payware should be allowed.

There's something wrong here. Doh! Seriously, the trees weren't like this in the previous build.

Yet another foo bar that needs attention and I don't mean from Matthias either. This was the kind of thing we saw in early TRS22 builds when we were doing testing. Train cars and other objects would smear instead of having crisp textures.

RTX 3090. All Trainz settings to max (with VSync on "Full"), using DirectX 11 (tried 12, but framerate drops from 60 FPS to below 10...). Screen res is 2560x1440.

yikes.. yeah... never did I dream you were referring to trees that are smears... Nothing even approaching that here, no matter the settings or shadows.

I've got a GTX1060, 6Gb and am running build 122411 (I'm not game to install the latest patch yet).

I've never had this happen to any other trees (or assets) on any other routes.

Cheers,
Piere.

I just changed video cards but previous one was a GTX1060-6. Never saw anything like those smears. For those with more asset expertise than me... could it be that the asset itself it corrupt somehow?

At first, thanks for buying my routes. Piere what version are you running? It looks okay here on 122411 and my GeForce 1080. I need some more information to look into that.

Regarding the signals as this is a museal ride the signals on the Pigtail Line (except a few) are out of order. I do have photo evidence for that.

Last edited:
Dear Matthias,
Good to see you react to the signals. I guess that the signals that are out of order have a cross attached to them.
I am talking about some of the classic mechanical signals that are still operational (i.e. they change aspect). No lights (green, red) in front.
However, and that is my second point, the white lights at the back are visible. They appear at about ten metres distance, which in itself is disappointing.

The video that is part of the assets' documentation on the Trainz Store:
shows exactly such a non-lit signal at the very start!

Paul

At first, thanks for buying my routes. Piere what version are you running? It looks okay here on 122411 and my GeForce 1080. I need some more information to look into that.

Regarding the signals as this is a museal ride the signals on the Pigtail Line (except a few) are out of order. I do have photo evidence for that.
G'day Matthias, Thanks for the reply.

I am also running build 122411.

I did a database rebuild, but am still getting the results pictured above.

Cheers,
Piere.

Back