nvidia geforce 940m for Trainz?

LBMATTY

Would the nvidia geforce 940m be a good video card for Trainz? I currently have Trainz 2009 and 2010 and I want to make sure if it runs well with it since I'm planning to buy a new Laptop with better features and such.

I run windows 7 64 bit on a desktop system , in the past I was having problems with a Nvidia 6300 GT graphics card it would not run Trainz 12 . A couple of months ago I bought a Nvidia ge force 9500 GTX (Strix version ) it works seriously its brilliant .If you read the system requirements it does recommend a graphics card Nvidia 7500 or above .

I have a desktop and just installed the GeForce GTX960 4GB Gaming Driver and the graphics are outstanding. If you are using a laptop, then the GeForce GT940M,... although performs better than the 860M, is still a 2GB Driver and considered as 'mid-range'. Whilst you may get the results you are looking for in TS12, it may fall short should you upgrade to T:ANE, which does require a top-range driver to give you the best graphics.
My previous driver was 3GB yet the results were stuttering, freezing and complete shut-down.
Do some 'Googling' and check the reviews of all the cards on the market before you decide. Cheers.
Roy3b3

I have the 950 and it runs Trainz pretty good, but in high-poly areas I still get some stutter.

It runs my American Truck Simulator like a dream! Wish Trainz ran that well.

I have the 950 and it runs Trainz pretty good, but in high-poly areas I still get some stutter.

It runs my American Truck Simulator like a dream! Wish Trainz ran that well.

I just got that ATS, too. I think they have more efficient poly count or something, I maximized all settings, not a blip in performance.

Comparing laptop and desktop graphics cards is a little bit like comparing apples and pears, both fruit and both tasty if you like that sort of thing but quite different. For example a GTX 960 (desktop) has an average G3D Benchmark of 5956 and a TDP of 120 Watts whereas the GTX 960m (Mobile) is 1674 and 60 respectively. The 960m consumes half the power when pushed but understandably lower overall performance.

There are dozens of GPU's currently on the market, the mobile Geforce GPU's follow the desktop processors performance sequence of, 940, 950, 960, 970 and 980 with the highest being the faster but don't assume the faster is better value for money. Bang for bucks, or speed for pounds here in the UK, the 960 is likely better value for example than the 950.

In respect of Geforce GPU's the 940m is the bottom end of the so called 'gaming' mobile GPU's and quite respectable. Compared with a desktop GPU it would be classed as mid-range as somebody wrote but for a laptop while its not the best it's a long, long way from the worst. As for running T-ANE which is a different ball game than TS2009/10 its pay your money you take your choice. Laptops are more of a balancing act than a desktop because once you have it, its somewhat difficult to change whats inside the case. Decide on your CPU and memory bearing in mind the recommended (not minimum) specification required to run T-ANE. Then decide on your screen size and finally spend to your budget on the best GPU with the most memory you can afford. If 'G-Sync' is available for the screen its nice to have as it improves the graphics further but don't sacrifice a lower spec GPU or video memory to get it. Peter

This place is worth a look...

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Comparison-of-Laptop-Graphics-Cards.130.0.html

I also recommend searching for the card in particular and getting the specs. You can then compare these to other cards listed.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-940M.138027.0.html

The NVIDIA GeForce 940M is a mid-range DirectX 11-compatible graphics card for laptops unveiled in March 2015. It is based on Nvidia's Maxwell architecture (GM108 chip) and manufactured in 28 nm. The 940M offers 384 shader units as well as 2 GB of DDR3 memory (64 bit, 2000 MHz effective).

Compared to the previous and technically very similar GeForce 840M, the GeForce 940M is clocked just slightly higher.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-840M.105681.0.html

John

Comparing laptop and desktop graphics cards is a little bit like comparing apples and pears, both fruit and both tasty if you like that sort of thing but quite different. For example a GTX 960 (desktop) has an average G3D Benchmark of 5956 and a TDP of 120 Watts whereas the GTX 960m (Mobile) is 1674 and 60 respectively. The 960m consumes half the power when pushed but understandably lower overall performance.

There are dozens of GPU's currently on the market, the mobile Geforce GPU's follow the desktop processors performance sequence of, 940, 950, 960, 970 and 980 with the highest being the faster but don't assume the faster is better value for money. Bang for bucks, or speed for pounds here in the UK, the 960 is likely better value for example than the 950.

In respect of Geforce GPU's the 940m is the bottom end of the so called 'gaming' mobile GPU's and quite respectable. Compared with a desktop GPU it would be classed as mid-range as somebody wrote but for a laptop while its not the best it's a long, long way from the worst. As for running T-ANE which is a different ball game than TS2009/10 its pay your money you take your choice. Laptops are more of a balancing act than a desktop because once you have it, its somewhat difficult to change whats inside the case. Decide on your CPU and memory bearing in mind the recommended (not minimum) specification required to run T-ANE. Then decide on your screen size and finally spend to your budget on the best GPU with the most memory you can afford. If 'G-Sync' is available for the screen its nice to have as it improves the graphics further but don't sacrifice a lower spec GPU or video memory to get it. Peter

980 will far outlast the 940, not having to upgrade for a very long time, five to seven years probably. 940 will last about a year or two, maybe stretching three. add to that, being able to have all the eye candy turned to maximum is more delightful than low settings with boxy unsmooth shapes, missing parts.

Back