Benchmarks and Tests

Hello everyone.

I am interested in buying the Trainz Railroad Simulator 2022 Platinum Edition and I would like to know more about this game. Particularly, I would like to compare graphic cards (video cards, GPUs) of different vendors and their performance in standard game situations. I will divide and structure my question into parts or sections to make it easy.

1. What vendors I am talking about:
  • AMD
  • Intel
  • nvidia

2. Which GPUs I would like to compare:
  • nvidia GeForce RTX 3060
  • nvidia GeForce RTX 4060
  • AMD Radeon RX 6600
  • AMD RadeonRX 6600XT
  • AMD RadeonRX 7600
  • Intel Arc A580
  • Intel Arc A750
  • Intel Arc A770

3. Which standard game situations do I mean:
  • Standard game benchmarks like in some other games
  • Typical usage scenarios, if the game has no built-in benchmarking tools

Frankly speaking, I am interested in Intel's GPUs mostly. A580 and A770 GPUs look good to me for their price in case the game is optimized for these GPUs.

Have someone already performed such comparison or does anyone here use the mentioned GPUs so that you could share your benchmark results ?

Thank you.

minimum score I'd look for would be 10,000, which appears to be above the intel cards, 16,000 I'd be comfortable with. N3V uses some specific nVidia extensions for Tufx so I might favour them. With the right user created assets Trainzcan bring an RTX 4090 to it's knees. Pick the right assets and it runs fine on Intel IRIS XE which is an intel integrated graphics whatever.

Cheerio John

I would avoid the Intel cards. The hardware may be okay but their drivers are awful and many users suffer crashes, incompatibility, and really poor performance.

@johnwhelan

It is good to know about third-party benchmarks, but they all are synthetical and measure only a theoretical performance of a GPU. The question is about a real in-game performance, measured in practice in the game engine in a standard environment and with standard settings. So, the thread is about the in-game benchmark, not a third party benchmark. This is why such game series as Tomb Raider and The Division have built-in benchmarks and presets of game settings – players can see real life performance and select an appropriate GPU.

@JCitron

Concerning Intel's GPUs, where can I see tests of TRS22 or TRS19 with modern Intel Arc GPUs ? Theory is good, but I need some practice. Thank you.

@johnwhelan

It is good to know about third-party benchmarks, but they all are synthetical and measure only a theoretical performance of a GPU. The question is about a real in-game performance, measured in practice in the game engine in a standard environment and with standard settings. So, the thread is about the in-game benchmark, not a third party benchmark. This is why such game series as Tomb Raider and The Division have built-in benchmarks and presets of game settings – players can see real life performance and select an appropriate GPU.

@JCitron

Concerning Intel's GPUs, where can I see tests of TRS22 or TRS19 with modern Intel Arc GPUs ? Theory is good, but I need some practice. Thank you.
I haven't seen any mention of anyone using Trainz on the Arc cards. Given the developer-mentioned support for AMD and NVidia in their requirements, I would stick with the tried and true rather than waste money on hardware that isn't supported and end up frustrated and disappointed trying to get the cards to work.

The closest you get for a benchmark would be the built-in route Kickstarter County 2 TRS22 and one of its sessions to control the rolling stock used. You would have to create a series of graphic settings to test and maybe program a train to follow the same path for each test run.

I haven't seen any mention of anyone using Trainz on the Arc cards.
Yeah. So have not I. This is why I am trying to get an answer here, on the official forum of the game. I hope that developers of this game will give Intel-based cards a try and start cooperating with Intel in their optimisation of drivers for the Trainz game. Why ? Because Trainz game series is great and unique, and it has almost no alternatives. Simply, no other train simulator in the year 2023 offers a convenient multiplayer, great world editing tools and so much content. The Trainz game series reminds me of Arma game series which also provides rich tools for world editing, scripting and multiplayer.

Yeah. So have not I. This is why I am trying to get an answer here, on the official forum of the game. I hope that developers of this game will give Intel-based cards a try and start cooperating with Intel in their optimisation of drivers for the Trainz game. Why ? Because Trainz game series is great and unique, and it has almost no alternatives. Simply, no other train simulator in the year 2023 offers a convenient multiplayer, great world editing tools and so much content. The Trainz game series reminds me of Arma game series which also provides rich tools for world editing, scripting and multiplayer.
I seem to recall the development team is very small, think single digits, and they have one machine with an AMD card in it for testing, the rest are nVidia.

Traditionally support comes from the forum. John and myself are probably fairly knowledgeable.

The 3D score was suggested by N3V some time ago to rate video cards. There are performance sliders you can use to to adjust the demands to be in line with the hardware.

It really does depend on which content you use and how many different assets you use. For example desserts use less resources than urban areas.

Cheerio John

Back