Non Stop HDD

Deano5

Can anyone tell me why my hard drives never stop whirring?
Ever since I built this new computer with Windows 7HP the HDD light is constantly flashing and one of the 3 drives always in use, I assume it is C drive.
I have nothing installed apart from AVG, SpyBot and Malwarebytes. It just never stops and I can't see anything in the Task Manager list that is working away other than the obvious (to me).
Which Windows things can I shut down safely for good and how do I do it?
I'm getting worried that the HD is getting well over used and close to it's life expectancy way too soon.
All thoughts and idea's welcome. :wave:

As soon as you turn the comp on the drives turn, and do so until you turn it off.
They'll still spin if you stop every process, until you power down. Don't panic.

Ah, so it's quite normal then. I never seemed to have anywhere near that much activity with XP, or at least the light stopped flashing in XP.
Thanks for that. :D
Is there any of those desktop gadget things I can permanently dissable that seem to use an awful lot of RAM? :wave:

Ah, so it's quite normal then. I never seemed to have anywhere near that much activity with XP, or at least the light stopped flashing in XP.
Thanks for that. :D
Is there any of those desktop gadget things I can permanently dissable that seem to use an awful lot of RAM? :wave:

Open control panel, then desktop gadgets, alter from there. I have the cpu+ram usage dials on, like to keep an eye on them.

Constant indexing of files causes this...
ajcust in CP indexing... Remove all
test for a day then put what you need into the search / indixing
to many programs loading on startup
with what you have loaded about 50 in tm
avg on startup scanes pc for viruses stupid / well that used to be the defualt setting.
put a better virus scanner on your pc, or at least set what you have up
And to all you that say avg is fine
I'm glad it is working for you you but it don't work for everone.

My PC does this too, although I didnt know it was in anyway bad for it?

put a better virus scanner on your pc, or at least set what you have up
And to all you that say avg is fine
I'm glad it is working for you you but it don't work for everone.

I've never really had any problems with AVG, and its caught a fair few viruses in its time on my PC

The only systems I know that AVG has known issues with are XP Professional ones.

I agree that the Indexing service frequently causes the hard drive to stay on constantly.

As you are using Windows 7, the Resource Monitor in Task Manager can help identify what programs are accessing what files and when. (Performance tab) - the Disk tab in Resource Monitor can help.

Shane

Indexing is what came to mind but I thought Windows needed this for smoother running. It's not AVG running checks as all scheduled checks are cancelled and only started by me.
So can I safely stop or reduce the indexing? I can't see this being good for the drive and these WD VoleciRaptor's are not cheap to replace.
I don't see why Win7 needs to run the disk non stop all day when XP will sit quietly most of the time. :wave:

I shut down indexing to-day and the PC is fine. It could slow down viewing e-mails or documents but the HDD will last longer..There are articles on the WEB about this.

Indexing is primarily for Windows search, if like me you know where you have put things it isn't needed. Searching still works even if its disabled, just get a popup suggesting you turn it on, I don't.

I shut down indexing to-day and the PC is fine. It could slow down viewing e-mails or documents but the HDD will last longer..There are articles on the WEB about this.
Thats good to know. If you would please tell me exactly how you did it then there would be an article on our forum too. Cheers. :wave:

Back