New Samsung SSD

William0d0

With a new patch for T:ANE coming up, I thought I'd prepare my system by installing a new SSD.

The Samsung 850 series has been getting much good press, so I went with one.

The 250 GB model from Amazon for just under 80 USD seemed like a steal.

So, I got it and put in the machine.

Now, all 8 SATA ports on my motherboard are being used. 3 SSDs, 4 Hard Drives, 1 Blu-Ray Drive.

After installing several games to the new SSD I decided it was time for testing, I didn't want to test on an empty drive.

I did use Samsung's included software to optimize the drive.
One of the things it did is what Samsung calls "Over Provisioning". Some of the drive space becomes reserved, that is why you will see the drive capacity at only 210GB.

But anywho, here are the results using CrystalDiskMark:

svlytf.jpg

It may also need to be noted that because I have 2 redundant arrays with the hard drives I'm running SATA in RAID and not AHCI mode. I'm not really sure if that matters.

I rate the drive 2 thumbs up. Crazy fast at a great price.

Nice.

The most significant performance jump one can notice is from HDD to SSD, doesn't matter which brand. My first taste of this computing steroid was a crappy 60GB unit from Adata years ago which didn't even last very long but that was enough to make me never look back.

There's not a single rig I've built for anyone since then that didn't include an SSD no matter how low the budget.

That may be a new one to you. But you should try the 950 Pro. Look at the specs and tell me if it is not better (beats your Raid 0) . (You should use an adapter card if you don't have an M2.0 socket).

Yes, my new rig is getting an SSD drive and I am thinking of a second one, also.

As nicky9949 says, you never look back after going to SSD.

Nice.

The most significant performance jump one can notice is from HDD to SSD, doesn't matter which brand. My first taste of this computing steroid was a crappy 60GB unit from Adata years ago which didn't even last very long but that was enough to make me never look back.

There's not a single rig I've built for anyone since then that didn't include an SSD no matter how low the budget.

Unfortunately there are some crappy SSDs out there.

My first SSD was a Corsair Force GT (120 GB). It's going on 4 1/2 years and still running strong.
The next was a OCZ Vertex4 (256 GB), around 2 years old. Also still going strong.

These new Samsung drives are really pushing the performance/value equation, it's becoming a must have for gaming.

I also can't imagine building a rig without an SSD.

That may be a new one to you. But you should try the 950 Pro. Look at the specs and tell me if it is not better (beats your Raid 0) . (You should use an adapter card if you don't have an M2.0 socket).

I imagine the 950 pro is better, but for twice as much money I don't see it as twice as fast. Also, my motherboard doesn't have M.2.

You are free to post the specs you are getting from your drive.

I don't have any of my drives running in RAID 0. I have 4 hard drives running in pairs of RAID 1 (redundency). The 3 SSDs all run as regular single drives.

I imagine the 950 pro is better, but for twice as much money I don't see it as twice as fast. Also, my motherboard doesn't have M.2.

You are free to post the specs you are getting from your drive.

I don't have any of my drives running in RAID 0. I have 4 hard drives running in pairs of RAID 1 (redundency). The 3 SSDs all run as regular single drives.
where is there the $80 price available, do you have a discount? i cannot find it for that price. can you post a link for that price if it was not a coupon and was just the regular price? thank you.

I imagine the 950 pro is better, but for twice as much money I don't see it as twice as fast.

Benchmark wise the 950 pro is closer to 3-4 times faster, primarily due to the drive being NVMe based (Data is transfered via PCI-E rather than SATA). Which is fairly amazing in my opinion.

Jack

Benchmark wise the 950 pro is closer to 3-4 times faster, primarily due to the drive being NVMe based (Data is transfered via PCI-E rather than SATA). Which is fairly amazing in my opinion.

Jack

It's actually 0 times as fast since I don't have a M.2 slot.

Here is the thing: If you don't have an M2.0 slot, use a PCI card adapter, and plug it into the X4 slot. I saw these adapters for $12. Problem is that when you do that, your graphics card that now runs at X10, will do so at X8. Will you see the difference? Don't know. Today, having a 950 pro does not make sense because it is too expensive, and cutting a few seconds of loading does not justify double prices. It is for anyone building a new computer so you can be ahead of the game for a year or so. On this, I am sure you will be as happy with an 850. It depends if you want to be on the cutting edge of tech, or value what you have in your pocket: Always think before you make a mistake.

Having an M2 active also shuts down some SATA ports. That, in addition to the high price and marginally better perceptoble performance gain makes it an impractical choice right now.

Back