Need a new SSD for Trainz

big_b

Have Trainz on a Samsung Evo 1Tb sata SSD which has bad sectors - installed roughly 2020 - 2021
Any suggestions on what brand to replace it with as there seem to be a lot of info about faults with these on the net produced around that time
Currently trying to copy what I can to another Drive just in case it gets worse

On my main machine I'm use a Crutial MX in 2.5" and Samsung 970 EVO Plus in M2, both types have been good but as Trainz is not that dependent on storage speed once loaded I'd go for reliability in preference to speed. On other machines I have a range of SSD both new and salvaged going back at least 8 years none of which have been a problem or made any noticeable difference to how Trainz performs. Peter

Samsung has rectified the problem with the controller that caused nearly instantaneous wear-down on the drives. The new ones are reported as being quite fast. There are other brands such as Crucial, as mentioned, Western Digital, and many others.

I would warmly recommend Kingston (incl.subbrands), I would not recommend Crucial. I have no personal experience with Samsung but I don't trust it.

I would warmly recommend Kingston (incl.subbrands), I would not recommend Crucial. I have no personal experience with Samsung but I don't trust it.
Kingston SSDs are okay but if I went with Kingston, I would look for their higher-cost, meaning higher quality models. I've heard that Crucial can be okay.

Samsung has been good for my brother and the old Western Digital SSD I have installed in my Dell All-in-one, is okay but slow. I've also used Intel SSDs. Those are rock solid and chug on for years but they're not inexpensive either.

Ended up getting this Samsung were a bit higher in price so it came down to $$$ as I'm on a pension .

Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" Internal SSD (CT1000MX500SSD1) - 3D TLC, SATA, 560/510 MB/s read/write speeds, 90/95K IOPS​

Back