Need New 'Puter; Any Suggestions

captainkman

You are reading this.
Hi everyone,

Recently my HP Pavillion dv6 notebook suffered an internal hard drive failure and you can probably guess the result :p

Well, I've had a SSD for a while and regularly backup irreplaceable files as well as run most software and games on it.

Since I've been doing that, this hard drive failure hasn't cost me anything. I've still got my programmes, Blender files, music, movies and pictures.

So now, I'm on the lookout for a new computer and would like some help. I've not got a set price range yet, but I'd like it to be a laptop so I can take it to my Dad's place and back.

My old laptop's specs are, from memory:
  • 2GHz processor - I'd like something more powerful than this if possible.
  • Windows Vista - Would like Windows 7 instead; that can be arranged if the computer should come with Windows 8.
  • 2GB RAM - Had this upgraded to 4 on my old laptop and would like this much or more.
  • ATI 4500 Radeon series graphics card - not sure whether this is a good one or not but I'm guessing not as it's integrated.

That's really as much as I can remember. I can't start the computer to find out more. I must also mention that this setup did run TS2010 very, very well.

Or, would it be better to ditch the new computer idea and just get the hard drive replaced and upgrade to Windows 7 64bit in the process?

Thanks for any advice.

Kieran. :)

Last edited:
After some research, this seems to meet my needs:

http://www8.hp.com/au/en/products/laptops/product-detail.html?oid=5387800#!tab=specs

The processor is more powerful and it has more RAM. It can also come with Windows 7 64bit which gets it T:ANE ready as well.

Also, the display is a nice 1920x1080, full HD, as opposed to my old display size of 1366x768.

Would this be an acceptable system? I know running Trainz on a laptop isn't 'supported' as such, but I've gotten away with running it on a less powerful computer. And yes, I was able to keep decent framerates, even on ECML.

Kieran.

Last edited:
Re new computer

I'm in the same place as you. My laptop has failed. Most modern computers (unless they are really low spec) run general games fine, but simulators generally need more power. I would say that if you really want a laptop, try to find one with a dedicated graphics card. This does not mean that you have to spend mega bucks for something like an Alienware. The integrated 4600 is OK, but you may find with the up and coming version of TrainZ it will struggle. If you are sticking with 2010 and your current laptop runs it OK, a newer version should be OK as well.

Have you thought about a small form factor PC. I am going to get one which will be about the size of a shoe box. Yes I will pay a little more for it, but it will be able to run Trainz smoothly, Hi res,with good frame rates. You could go for an ultra mini PC like the NUC, or Zbox, but you will be back to the integrated graphics card again.

I hope this is of some help.

Appears to have an Nvidia Quadro, Quadro's are optimised for cad not games, generally gamers steer clear of them.

Hi Classof55,

I'm not too worried about running T:ANE at this stage, as I'll probably stick with TS2010 for a while. TS12 I couldn't get to run acceptably on my old laptop so maybe I can find a new one where it will? Those small PCs sound interesting but I assume they will be out of my price range. While I didn't specify one before, it must be considered that I am a student without an income, and my Mother is on a disability pension. I will be getting a part-time job soon though.

Hi Malc,

Okay, I'll try to find a laptop with simillar specs but without the Quadro graphics card. I was rather hoping to steer clear of Nvidia anyway.

Thank you both for your help so far.

Edit: Okay, this one is almost the same as above with the exception of the graphics card being ATI Radeon, which is what I'd prefer as this worked very well on the old laptop:
http://www8.hp.com/au/en/products/laptops/product-detail.html?oid=5405400#!tab=specs

If I get a part time job, this may be affordable.

Kieran.

Last edited:
Hi John,

These are cheaper than the last laptop I suggested and do appear to have the necessary power to run Trainz. Though I'm not too sure about the rotating screen. Seems unnecessary for Trainz and schoolwork, my computer's two main uses. Also has a touch screen which I don't like. I wonder if they can be purchased without those 'features'?

Though, they are definitely an option and will be considered. Thank you.

It's also a matter of what can be found in stores over here in Australia. HP laptops are very common and that is why I started by looking there. My parents don't really like purchasing items online although they have in the past as a last resort.

Kieran.

The rotating screen thing seems to be what the manufacturers are doing these days. I'm not particularly thrilled with this as this is one more thing to fail. Sony does off similar models as "regular laptops" as well. Check their website. All of these are fairly powerful machines these days, far more powerful, than what we've gotten in the past, and even more powerful than my expensive Alienware machine.

I agree with your parents. I'd rather check in the stores first for stuff like this. It's one of those things you have to try in your hand before purchasing. Do keep in mind that you would be purchasing directly from Sony rather than some unknown vendor.

Good luck.

John

I agree. Like touch screens, a rotating screen is quite flimsy looking and a possible breakage point. I think it's an attempt to give them almost the same degree of flexibility as a tablet. Stuff and nonsense I say!

Yes, seeing a computer in-store does give you the option of feeling its weight and seeing how comfortable the keyboard and trackpad are (not of too major concern to me as I have separate ones anyway).

Another thing I need to keep in mind is the number of USB ports available. I need 4. One each for the separate keyboard and mouse, one for the cooling pad and one for the external hard drive/SSD.

That point of buying direct from the manufacturer is an important one.

I'll not be able to read any other replies until the 26th, so keep that in mind when I haven't replied for a while. I'm going to a couple of parties and won't have any device with which to check and reply.

Merry Christmas to all and thank you to those who have helped for your help so far. :)

Kieran.

Hi Classof55,

I'm not too worried about running T:ANE at this stage, as I'll probably stick with TS2010 for a while. TS12 I couldn't get to run acceptably on my old laptop so maybe I can find a new one where it will? Those small PCs sound interesting but I assume they will be out of my price range. While I didn't specify one before, it must be considered that I am a student without an income, and my Mother is on a disability pension. I will be getting a part-time job soon though.

Hi Malc,

Okay, I'll try to find a laptop with simillar specs but without the Quadro graphics card. I was rather hoping to steer clear of Nvidia anyway.

Thank you both for your help so far.

Edit: Okay, this one is almost the same as above with the exception of the graphics card being ATI Radeon, which is what I'd prefer as this worked very well on the old laptop:
http://www8.hp.com/au/en/products/laptops/product-detail.html?oid=5405400#!tab=specs

If I get a part time job, this may be affordable.

Kieran.

Hi Kieran

So money is tight and you are a student, I can see why a laptop would be best for you. Check out this site ( http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu_list.php ), it has benchmarks and rankings for integrated and dedicated graphics cards. At the end of the day, it's all about getting the best that you can with the money you have. The more research you do the better your chances.

I haven't, (or for that matter anyone I know) owned a Sony laptop so I can't comment on that. HP laptops have been consistently good for me. I even managed to run MS Flight Simulator X on a medium spec machine (not at ultra high settings of course :hehe:)

Dagnabit, it looks like we're just going to get a replacement hard drive or the current one repaired. Bummer. This current computer gets too hot too fast. Yes I have a cooling pad. I also run a desk fan most of the time. That's the HP Pavilion dv6 for you. :(

It also looks like I have a choice between XP and Vista. I think I'll just go with Vista again.

I really didn't want to keep my current s**tbox. :(

Thank you for your help once more. :)

Kieran.

Dagnabit, it looks like we're just going to get a replacement hard drive or the current one repaired. Bummer. This current computer gets too hot too fast. Yes I have a cooling pad. I also run a desk fan most of the time. That's the HP Pavilion dv6 for you. :(

It also looks like I have a choice between XP and Vista. I think I'll just go with Vista again.

I really didn't want to keep my current s**tbox. :(

Thank you for your help once more. :)

Kieran.

Can't imagine you can get a hard disk repaired. It would surely be cheaper to buy a replacement. I always liked XP Pro but would not touch Vista. Can't you get a Win 7 upgrade? Hopefully you still have the original installation CDs/DVDs as Windows upgrades may not play if it cannot find evidence of an existing installation. Most laptops will have the original licence number stuck to the base of the laptop.

I buy most of my computer stuff at computer fairs and the ones around here usually have someone selling bits for older machines. Although I did have trouble getting memory for one of my old laptops (it was a bit ancient - like me!).

With the heating problem you could try reversing the desk fan so it sucks air away from the laptop.

My daughter bought me a Kakkoii Bluetooth speaker for my IPad. Looks very funky. It took me about an hour to get it "connected" and she had to help me sort out the volume control. I'm losing my touch. :confused:

Hi Paul,

I was told it could be repaired if it was just the connection to the drive and not the drive itself.

I cannot get a Windows 7 upgrade without buying it. A friend of my Mother is offering to do the replacement and he only has spare XP and Vista disks. I don't have the Windows Vista disk/s as the computer was bought by Disability Services Queensland for me. So we had no control over that sort of thing. The licensing information is still there and is very clearly visible with next-to-no wear.

Again, money is tight so Windows Vista or XP are my only options and I'll stick with Vista. I need the Aero/DWM features to record the screen using Fraps for some of my video tutorials.

Bluetooth. Apple. Ugh. I won't touch that kind of stuff with a 10ft pole! I deal with typewriters instead. I like taking my electric one on the train and seeing the looks I get from people. Next time someone sits next to me and asks about it I should pretend I time traveled from the 80's or was in a long coma or deep freeze. :hehe:

Kieran.

By the way, I scored big at the Boxing Day sales. No new computer though. :(

Last edited:
Hi everyone!

I've returned to this thread to tell of some good news.

My laptop only needed a hard drive replacement. This has been done. Windows 7 has been put on instead of resource-hogging Vista, and in addition it is the 64bit version. This means that, while I can probably run T:ANE, I'll still need a faster processor (and maybe more cores) and probably slightly more RAM.

But, I'm happy for now. I've got my Trainz machine back. :)

Kieran.

Kieran,

I think you got lucky there! I found Win7 to be a whole lot better experience all round compared to Vista (bloatware! ugh!!). You'll have found out by now that some things, like EMail, don't come bundled with the OS as we've all been used to, but these things are free anyway. Microsoft Live Essentials has a whole bundle of stuff, or just pick 'n' mix.

Anyway, good luck with your new (almost) 'puter.

Thank you for the kind words, Ken. :)

My email is a Hotmail account so that doesn't worry me too much.

I've used Windows 7 a lot (Mum's computer which I was 'stuck' with for 2 months or so) and the Win7 computers at school (which are slowly being phased out in favour of Crapple Macs :(), so I know my way around. Apparently it runs better than Vista, but that is so far yet to be seen.

Kieran.

Back