Narrow gauge screenshots

Yup, PEV tools and AssetX were vital but I've been doing old asset importing for nearly 5 years now so the experience helps.

@Dustin Oh, I have more pictures but I thought I'd show some restraint. :hehe: After 8 hours of fixin' stuff I was pretty punchy and very proud of my success. After all these locomotives and rail cars come from Trainz UTC, TRS2004, and TRS2006.

Last edited:
Dude If you fixed all that great content ,, Show off as much as you want . fantastic shot. Prowler901s work is always great to see, and now that it's working in TANE . All the better :D

Matt

Many of these locomotives have features that you can't get in recent steam locomotives being released. Animated sand domes for instance. Surprisingly I discovered that importing Prowler's stuff into TANE was actually easier than it was with TS12.

There is still a lot to do. I need to go back through each engine and sort out what is going on with the steam and sounds but of the couple of dozen I've tested so far they all operated fairly well.

Last edited:
And now for something completely different.

I've begun cloaking the hills of SRRLFinal with seasonal trees and ground cover. Many, many, many miles to go.

My rigged up log loader in the swamps.

7f1a4e416f245034a3b4e67aacf1a646.jpg

Rock On!
~Dusten

Adding interactive passengers to Wild Bill II

Edit: Holey carp Dustin! That is some fine and fancy kit bashing going on there.

Last edited:
Switched my Sugar Cane operations on St. Barbara Island from chopped cane in bins to whole cane on 2ft wagons.

I do like this more and seems to fit the era better. (SG Mogul is delivering Gondolas with 20000lbs bulk cane ea. from more distant cane fields.)

Last edited:
Interesting newish route I just stumbled upon. Green Gorge: OL to BK V6

As you can see while mrrail uses a wide assortment of scenery objects he has chosen to use only one type of speedtree, the five different variations of the Tree AlaskaCedar by Auran.

The impact to FPS from this is pretty bad but it looks so good.

About 30 miles main line from east to west with plenty of passing sidings, grades, tunnels, and trestles. Several industries, rail yards, roundhouses and turntables, a couple of engine houses, some longish spurs including one that meets with a standard gauge rail yard. Fully signaled so far as I could tell. All in all a pretty good route if your computer can handle the trees. I was hitting single digit fps but my settings are high.

Last edited:
Time for more Clearlake!

:D I'm always finding new (old) things that I know will fit right in. :D

and...

An early fall snow shower in the high country.

(weird how TANE doesn't show the snowflakes)

Last edited:
Well now I guess I'll throw another hat into the ring. Regrettably I suffer from Route Building A.D.D. Though sometimes that's not too bad. I started another "major" project which I plan to make available for public release. Behold the Mojave & Panamint Railroad.

arid_lonesome_by_gunslinger87-d9zin1p.jpg

The M&P is a freelance 3ft gauge railroad out in the Mojave Desert of California in the Searles Lake region and the Slate Range Mountains. The line runs 37 miles from Panamint Junction north to Ballarat, CA. The route is inspired my Craig Tice's wonderful HOn3 model railroad featured in the Feb 1993 issue of Railroad Model Craftsman.

panamint_jct_gallows_by_gunslinger87-d9zycke.jpg

Panamint Junction is where the M&P interchanges with the Standard Gauge Los Angeles & Independence railroad, which later became part of the Central/Southern Pacific system. Here ore from Ballarat is trans loaded via a transfer trestle. Craig's initial inspiration was the Nevada-California-Oregon and Southern Pacific Narrow Gauge railroads and this route will reflect that as well. Along with that loneliness that comes along with a single weathered narrow gauge track aimlessly winding through the desert.

valley_wells_by_gunslinger87-d9zk6wq.jpg

Valley Wells is an important part of the line and the first major stop north of Panamint Jct. Trains must ship water in tank cars to be loading into the water tanks at Slate Range Pass, as there is NO source for water between here and Ballarat, CA.

slate_range_pass_by_gunslinger87-da0h14y.jpg

southbound_canonball_by_gunslinger87-da0h310.jpg

Slate Range Pass.

tread_carefully_by_gunslinger87-da1ebxh.jpg

This is about milepost 24.5 not far from the pass. This side of the Slate Range Mountains is VERY rugged and dangerous for travel. One must mind their speed.

arival_at_ballarat_by_gunslinger87-da2fbn2.jpg

ballarat_depot_by_gunslinger87-da2fbmt.jpg

ballarat_progress_by_gunslinger87-da2fbmc.jpg

Ballarat, California. I'll post some more shots later. So what do you all think so far?

Wow, that's looking really good already!

How do you get such realistic scenery? Is it from a DEM, or just good imagination?

Keep it up!

Wow, that's looking really good already!

How do you get such realistic scenery? Is it from a DEM, or just good imagination?

Keep it up!

The map was a DEM map made for me by Pencil42. The actual route was purely imaginative, though based on Craig Tice's HOn3 model railroad. I've had to make a few creative liberties here and there, such as having a total of three tunnels instead of one, and I topped out at 37 miles instead of Craig's projected 34. I still need to add a few industries, such as the Whitacker Borax mine which is somewhere on the northern slopes of the Slate Range Mountains, but sits lower than the mainline utilizing a switchback with a steep 13% grade. The use of a heisler or other geared locomotive would be required.

I'm also debating on whether I want to build an extention to Panamint City up int the mountains north of Ballarat. However the route to get there via Surprise Canyon is extremely rugged and at one point there used to be a road to the now ghost town. But in the early 1980s a series of bad storms flooded the canyon and washed it out right down to bed rock! I'm presently looking for old topo maps, or old maps in general, for some of the roads and trails in the area.

Yeah, it will be! It would probably take about 3 or so hours to take a train, non stop, from Panamint Jct to Ballarat. The railroad has a strict speed ceiling of 20mph. Although given the topography, curves, and grades it is any surprise? Anyway, here are some more screens since I sort of rushed my earlier post.

panamint_jct_2_by_gunslinger87-d9zi5l0.jpg

Firs up is another shot of Panamint Jct. This was taken before Pencil42 re-skinned one of his turntable's for me to better match the arid and sandy environment. Also in the foreground is Pencil's lumber transfer platform, which is intended to be a goods transfer. This area is still under heavy revision as Ballarat and Slate Range Pass have been my primary focus. I accidentally left out a yard track so some things may need to be moved and rearranged.

through_the_yard_by_gunslinger87-d9znhuh.jpg

Here the M&P's "Four Spot" moves through the yard as it prepares for the arduous journey through the arid Mojave Desert and northboud to Ballarat.

view_from_up_top_by_gunslinger87-d9zjguk.jpg

Not too far from Panamint Jct the line skirts the edge of Searles Dry Lake. This portion of the line follows what is today the Trona Railway. In the historical canon of the Mojave & Panamint this line doesn't come along until later. Craig Tice's HOn3 layout was set in 1905, as is this route, but I'm seriously playing with the idea of a pre-1920 era version where the section of grade between Panamint Jct and Trona, CA is dual gauged to allow the SG trains to access the mineral production facilities at Trona. What do you think?

mp_no_4_by_gunslinger87-d9zne3x.jpg

Here is a close-up of No.4 which is a re-skinned version of Togog's model of D&RG #203. It still needs some tweaking, such as adding striping to the steam dome and coloring the cab window trim mineral red.

I'll try to get some more screenshots of Valley Wells once I've made a little more progress with it, as it is a very important and busy location on the M&P.
The line is almost flat from Panamint Jct. to Valley Wells, the next major stop on the route. The grade fluctuating between 1 and just under 2%. However north of valley wells an almost constant 2.5% grade climbs north to Slate Range Pass and the highest point on the railroad. Below we can see the M&P's crack passenger train, the Mojave Cannonball, working its way north bound towards the pass. Headed by veteran locomotive #2, an 1870s Baldwin 8-18C class 4-4-0.

mojave_canonball_by_gunslinger87-da0h2e1.jpg

Sadly I don't have any screenshots of the large turning wye that makes up part of the yard and passing siding for Slate Range Pass, but I'll try and correct that later. However I do have another shot of the one industry here, the Stealth Borax Mine.

stealth_borax_mine_by_gunslinger87-da0h3r1.jpg

This industry is spurred off one leg of the turning wye here at the pass. The grade is moderate here at only 2.5%, but on the oposite side of the mountains is a grueling 4%. The wye is used for turning helper locomotives around after helping south bound ore trains out of Ballarat climb the steep grades. And that 4% grade goes on for several miles and includes many twists, turns, and gulch trestles. In any case, Slate Range Pass sits at just a few hairs past Milepost 23.

slate_range_pass_2_by_gunslinger87-da0h1nz.jpg

The Cannonball resting a brief moment at the little depot at the summit. I've made some more progress here, but no current shots yet, but will post some soon.

water_tank_and_boiler_house_by_gunslinger87-da0k2l5.jpg

As mentioned earlier, Valley Wells is a very important place for the Mojave & Panamint. And the reason why is that there is NO natural source for water between there and Ballarat! And with the need for helper engines on the northern side of the mountains water for thirsty locomotives is crucial. So tank cars are loaded with water from Valley Wells and shipped to the pass where they are then emptied and pumped into the main water tank and storage tanks to be used by locomotives in either direction.

tunnel_no_1_by_gunslinger87-da0k31a.jpg

The Cannonball plunging into Tunnel No.1, also known as the Summit Tunnel. Not long after exiting Tunnel 1 the line begins it's steep descent into the Panamint Valey via a 4% grade. MIND THE BRAKES!!

northbound_cannonball_by_gunslinger87-da1e9gh.jpg

Descending the grade not far from Tunnel No.1 and approaching milepost 24.

milpost_24_by_gunslinger87-da1ebe4.jpg

Milepost 24.

rugged_slopes_by_gunslinger87-da0k3k7.jpg

As you can see, the northern slopes of the mountains are MUCH more unforgiving. I've recently finished grading this area and I'll get some more shots later. After the train crosses this gulch trestle it clings to the mountain side and approaches Tunnel No.2, which will be featured next time! ;)

Looking good kegg_works!

Boxcab loggers

:D

Edit. Oops forgot one

At least I think a steam dummy could be considered a boxcab too.

Last edited:
The GE boxcab is really nice! I wouldn't mine using it for a later version of the M&P. Who's is it, if you don't mind my asking?

It is found here http://trainzone.co.nz/diesel.htm by Whecsailor (at the bottom of the page). It is a beta and needs much work but PEV tools and AssetX will see you through. I deleted the reference to the interior since I was unable to fix that. There is a SG version but I have not gotten around to fixing that yet. I keep intending on repainting it but... ;)

Back