my trainz is giving poor frame rates

kamran

when i bought by new graphics card i was getting 30+ fps in ts 2010 regardless of any route but now my frame rates are very low even on very low quality route my frame rates wont go above 20 and while in driver they remain 10 to 15 and my game remain jerky whereas on same pc i was playing it without any problem,so what you think this problem is due to
my pc specification are as follow

intel e5200 2.5 ghz (now running at 3.06ghz)
asus p5qpl-am motherboard
4 gb ddr2 ram(kingston)
sparkle gtx 550ti 1gb
500 gb hdd
trainz 2010 with all settings to max
resolution was 1280x1024 on crt same problem
now with new led moniter and resolution of 1600x900 problem still same

Did you remember to remove the old drivers before installing the new (if they are different) - I ask this because you mention a new graphics card.

Also, make sure the settings in the Trainz Options box match your monitor's resolution.

Shane

Shane has given you some good advice but I would suggest that you also check your graphics options for Trainz. If you used Directx before you could find that you have ended up with OpenGL (or vice versa) after installing your new graphics card. My system likes Directx but struggles with OpenGL.

Regards, Andy

graphics card is not a new bought it in march .since then i have updated driver 3 times and all times i never remove existing but update the existing.all other settings match with graphics card .i never use open gl always use direct x

You could try to roll back the graphcs drivers to the previous version to see if the new one is causing the problem

Andy

Do you use a lot of splines and flipboard trees? These can cause major framerate issues becuse of the extra work needed to render them. The newer versions of Trainz don't like the alpha-blended flipboard trees, and this causes more work because the information is passed through the CPU to the video card instead of going directly to the video card to be processed by the GPU. Splines are just system hogs because of the way the have to be drawn as repeated sections.

John

I was using some awesome PRR Dwarf Amber signals, and they dropped my framerates to single digits.

That's possible too because there's something wrong with the geometry on the model or even the textures.

You've probably seen this article from me before. :) In my very distant past, I worked for a company that made training programs for the plastics industry. We'd do the models in 3dStudio DOS and Max 1.5. (Show how long ago). We'd have rooms full of injection molding machines moving and doing their thing in intros to the films. One of the intros showed a molding plant and then a big room full of identical machines. These were instance objects based off of a single model made by somone else. Well the rendering started for our intro. We'd start our rendering at night when we left so the individual TGAs would be written to disk by the time we got in the next day. Well for some reason we couldn't get past the very beginning of the little film. The building model was imported from a DXF model and did come with a huge number of faces. My coworker went in and removed a ton of junk to speed up the video, thinking this was causing the problem. We started the animation again and went home. No dice again! What the!!! Again he looked at the models and couldn't see anything. He fiddle farted around again with more stuff in the introduction, and again the same thing happened. This went on for about a week. Well finally after going through all the models, even replacing stock clip-art ones thinking they were corrupt or something, he looked at the injection molding machine its self. There it was! The individual feet had 256,000 faces on each machine foot, and there were 8 feet per model. These feet were rendered onle time the model was viewed at the beginning of the video after the camera moved into the molding room. This one time took forever to render because of all the faces. My coworker went in and optimized the models so there weren't as many faces. We figured that no one would notice them anyway, which was true because the feet were barely visible in the first place. After that our introduction rendered in two hours instead of however it would have needed.

Sadly in Trainz we can't always fix the models because we don't have access to the original meshes to do so.

John

With signals, it may also be due to an inefficient script that is powering them. For example, snowsignal's payware signals (that used to be available via Railwaves) have an issue where it causes buffer overflows.

Shane

when i bought by new graphics card i was getting 30+ fps in ts 2010 regardless of any route but now my frame rates are very low even on very low quality route my frame rates wont go above 20 and while in driver they remain 10 to 15 and my game remain jerky whereas on same pc i was playing it without any problem,so what you think this problem is due to
my pc specification are as follow
I would think a defrag and an EDR would be the first thing to do.

well i roll back to previous driver and didnt see any difference and there is a fair use of splines like grass roads and fence only.on the same route i was playing with 30 + fps but after draw distance issue appears i removed almost all the splines except road but now i am getting 10 to 14 fps without any rolling stock placed.i am having same issue with railwoks 2 too.i was getting 20+fps on highest settings but now even on low settings i am getting single digit fps

well i roll back to previous driver and didnt see any difference and there is a fair use of splines like grass roads and fence only.on the same route i was playing with 30 + fps but after draw distance issue appears i removed almost all the splines except road but now i am getting 10 to 14 fps without any rolling stock placed.i am having same issue with railwoks 2 too.i was getting 20+fps on highest settings but now even on low settings i am getting single digit fps

Okay... So you can put your splines and roads back because this isn't Trainz specific. :)

I would think this maybe an overall system issue and not just the video card. Try scanning for malware, defrag your hard drive, and then let us know what's going on.

John

To add, check the fan is actually working on that Sparkle or heatsink not come loose, they don't use the most robust hardware I'm afraid. Also check your fans are not gummed up with fluff.

all the fans are running fine .now i am going to do dis defrag.also i reinstall my window about 10 days back window is win 7 ultimate 64bit

Back