Model Train Accidents

wilh

Off the Deep End
Hello all, I know that many of you have model trains. I also know that you may have shown pics of them standing proudly on the mainline. How about something different. Post your pics of you model train accidents whether they are staged or truely accidental.
5391202359_9780a9b7df_b.jpg

5391209595_a4bc2bc461_b.jpg

I have to say, I think I have made the biggest fail in model railroading. About 6-7 years ago I was running one of my dad's trains at full speed around his layout. Now, my dad's layout had a fold-up bridge, I didn't realize it, but the bridge was down. I had already switched the switch to the fold-up bridge, and when I saw my brother hadn't raised it, it was too late. The locomotive and about the first 4 cars flew off the layout and fell about a yard to the floor. One of the cars, a steel-coil car, was hanging nearly halfway off the layout and halfway on. It took a while to fix all of the stuff, but now it is all good, and I even have the steel coil car that was hanging off the layout! Good times, good times...

P.S. I have to ask on where you got those red and black FA warbonnets.

Those? I got those as a special edition for the 2009 Lionel Collectors Club of America Convention last year during the 2010 convention in Denver. But I'm sure you could find the regular edition by ordering it from Lionel or in your local train store. (They are part of the K-Line by Lionel Product Line).

I had a $1000 brass HOn3 Sumpter Valley RR 2-6-6-2 fall from the highest point on the pike to the hard terrazzo floor. Damage was a lot less then expected (mostly a bent smokestack) but it still was a heart stopper, lol. Sorry - no photo.

Ben

Back