In limbo, but maybe found a new interests

BlackDiamond1964

Shadow Banned By N3V
For a while now I've been in a 3d model creative limbo. Not knowing what to make, or even which train sim I should work in. While I have two routes to work on, I've grown so tired of looking for reference pictures of building, objects and scenes of the past. This is the main source of my creative burnout. I realized that I needed a secondary interests for these creative down times. Originally, I wanted to make cars of the 50's and 60's and this was my secondary interests for the longest time...It kind of still is. However, there are a few content creators out there that are making those older cars and doing it so well, there is no point in me trying to compete with the masters of there own domain. In recent weeks I gave my Blender car models to that person to finish his magic on them and release them to the Trainz community. You may see more on that in the near future from that content creator.

There is also the issue of making 3D models for modern Trainz program, with all the PBR textures and other programs needed, It was always my thought that there is simply too many steps in the model making process for it to be fun. However, I feel I really need to try this before I can complain about it. As of late, I did acquire all the tools necessary to make the needed PBR textures. So why not try it out and see what it is like. First, I still need to find something to model.

Growing up in the 1970's, I was a big model builder. Most of my younger years I spent building my 1/25 car, truck models. For a while, I even got into building the 1/48 WW2 planes. Now that I have the time to work on these models again, I found that the plastic model building hobby is far too expensive to revisit. However, I do have an alternative! Why not start making some of those older Tractor-Trailer models I built when I was a kid? This time in a 3D environment for Trainz. It just so happens that Trainz lacks options for truck & trailers options in that era. Some where between Dinorius_Redundicus's older trucks and trailers, and Dave Snow's modern trailers, there is a niche to be filled. Why not see if I can fill it?

So here is my game plan. While learning the proper PBR texturing and FBX model building process, I will make those those trucks and trailers that I remember making as a kid. I will likely start with the trailers as they seem easier to make. As I get familiar with the process, I will start moving into building the trucks (cabs). One problem I won't have to worry about is getting reference pictures of these trucks as there are many fan sites and Facebook groups filling me with a daily supply of truck pictures!

Let see what I can do with this.

Sounds like a plan. :)

I'm a many decades builder of plastic model kits but never could get a showroom finish on an automobile so I stuck to stuff which is okay with mud being stuck to it, THAT look I could do and do well. :LOL:
Also build/built balsa and tissue planes, scale model trains, model rockets, miniatures game minis.

⏩ 2 big advantages of digital models for Trainz, make it 3 big advantages, no, 4 actually:
No shelf space needed
No dusting needed
Pets and kids will not knock the models off the above shelves.
And unless you are doing something strange with your electrons, you will never splash paint on your glasses. :cool:

Yes it was fun to build those models, only to sit around and collect dust after they are finished! I recall parking all my Tractor-Trailer models under my bed as that was the only free room I had to place them. At one point it was like a truck stop under there!

Your experience reads like mine. My Amazon Photos account is chock full of reference pics to match my ever increasing list of assets to make. It has become overwhelming and I've only been doing this for a year and a half. Of course it is all of my own making. I keep reminding myself to slow down, focus, and enjoy the process. Hasn't happened yet.

Hang in there,
casey

Sounds like a plan. :)

I'm a many decades builder of plastic model kits but never could get a showroom finish on an automobile so I stuck to stuff which is okay with mud being stuck to it, THAT look I could do and do well. :LOL:
Also build/built balsa and tissue planes, scale model trains, model rockets, miniatures game minis.

⏩ 2 big advantages of digital models for Trainz, make it 3 big advantages, no, 4 actually:
No shelf space needed
No dusting needed
Pets and kids will not knock the models off the above shelves.
And unless you are doing something strange with your electrons, you will never splash paint on your glasses. :cool:
5. No head spinning toxic fumes.

My Amazon Photos account is chock full of reference pics to match
Oh, talking about that -- I live in a midwestern farm burg which has 2 truck stops along the nearby interstate.
I wanted to find something, somewhere, with the light green color desired for my On30, aka O16.5, locomotives: a light green somewhere in the neighborhoods of NY Central's jade and Great Northern's glacier green, but not quite exactly those.

One day ...
OH!!! Semi tractor cab color EXACTLY the hue I want parked by road!!! 😁😍
Pull in.
Park.
Click click click click.
Am loving the 21st century where electrons cost a whole lot less to develop than Kodachrome did. 🥰

Get home.
Upload the picks.
🤯😳😖

Just like modern movie production cameras don't pick up the "green screen" used with special effects ...
The digital point and shoot did totally NOT pick up the green in the semi cab's paint.
😖
In every photo it looked just as blue as a sky blue or powder blue crayon, and Testors quarterfloz bottle flat sky blue 1162, does.

🤔😐 Ohh ...

And then I remembered Seaboard Air Line at one point painted some passenger use E units in a light minty green which was rendered white on color film.

That cab is absolutely completely totally NOT anywhere near as blue as it appears in the image, it was as clearly green as the mint chocolate chip ice cream in my freezer, true, a different green, but blatantly green.
🎨🖼️
26402224954_e162db136b.jpg

Here is a quick list of some of the models I'd like to make. I'm sure this list will expand as I find more interesting trucks. I thought I'd start with the AMT Model Kit list. Feel Free to make some suggestions.

Trailers

1. Fruehauf 40 Box
2. Fruehauf 40 Reefer
3. Wilson Live Stock Van
4. Great Dane Flatbed
5. Fruehauf Tanker
6. Double Trailers
7. Auto Transport Trailer
8. Moving Van
9. Gravel (Dump) Trailer
10.LowBoy or Logging Trailer

Trucks

Kenworth
1.Conventional W-925
2.Cabover K-123

Peterbilt
3. Conventional 359
4. Cabover Pacemaker 352

Mack
5. Cabover Cruise Liner
6. Conventional R685ST

White
7. Conventional Road Boss
8. Conventional Western Star
9. Cabover Freightliner
10.Cabover Freightliner SD

International
11. Cabover Transtar I
12. Cabover Transtar II
13. Conventional 4300 Eagle
14. Conventional F-4270

Chevy
15. Conventional Bison
16. Cabover Titan 90

GMC
17. Conventional General
18. Cabover Astro 95

Autocar
19. Conventional A64B

Diamond Rio
20. Conventional

Ford

Brockway

Looking forward to watching your new endeavors! You've done outstanding on your Lackawanna route assets and your Chevrolets from what I have seen of them. I think you are going to do very well on these as well.

Moving this thread into the blog section defeats the purpose of this post. Here, nobody will read this. If nobody is able to reads this, nobody shares their ideas.

Well I'm about to start this new adventure into truck building. I can already say that I tried Blender 4.0 to do my modeling, and instantly got frustrated with it. So I've gone back to Blender 2.79.7 or as I call it, Blender 2.79e. I hate to say this but the early version seems to be more suited for Trainz content creation. Less bling to confuse the model maker...I guess? I suppose if you learned the Blender process with the newer Blender versions, things might be different. For me, I gotta stick with what I know best and what I'm more proficient with. Updates coming soon.

It's a powerful tool that can do many things, but it is a bit overwhelming. I suppose that sometime down the road they may need to make a "Light" version of Blender for us modelers.

Ok, Starting with the basics. The first model I want to work on is this...
amt1357.jpg

As a youngin' I must of built this trailer at least 5 times. It's a 70's 40ft Fruehauf box trailer. I looked at what the dimension of this trailer are. From there, I came up with the proper tire dimensions. I ended up with this...
trailer-0.jpg

I planning on making a few different type of box versions with different wheels. The old Dayton type of wheels and the chromed Budd style wheels. I also want to make these trailers fairly easy to re-paint. Next I need to work on the wheels as that will most likely be harder to make then the trailer itself! I also got online instruction for this model so I can see what the parts actually look like! Sure beats looking endlessly for history reference photos! (y)

Last edited:
So you are not updating the Laurel and LV routes for a while? Would the LV from near Newark, NJ to Niagara Falls, NY be too much for Trainz to handle?

If folks are interested in those routes, I will continue working on them. Since their release very few have commented on them. I assumed that there is not much interest in them, so I've been floating from idea to idea on what to create next.

I've also been floating back and forth on the making of these trailers. Not so much what to make, but how to make them. Studying the PBR process, I realized that there is no more separating of model parts. At least not when it comes to exporting and UV Mapping. In the old way (.im), you can separate part and UV's. My original plan was to re-use truck and trailer parts to use on other models. You can't do that with the PBR process unless you keep remaking new texture maps for each model. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Ok, I stand corrected. After looking at car models from T28, I see that meshes can be separated in the PBR process...but man, all those textures add up on file size!

If any content creators out there are reading this, Is the PBR Texture process worth the file size and the computer resources compared to the old .IM process? I'd really like to hear some thoughts on this.

After watching many videos on the subject of baking in Blender, I broke down and bought Simple Bake for Blender 4.0. It looks to simplify the UV mapping and baking process. I can set up the exact texture maps needed to import into Trainz. It was cheaper then PBR Painter, costing only $18.

For now I need to get back to some modeling! I am forcing myself to learn to model in Blender 4.0. I did go back to 2.79 version of Blender, but found that I'll need a newer Blender versions if I want to get up to date addons. I might as well suffer through learning the newest Blender version.

Back