Looking for a german railway gun in trainz.

wolfpack2002

"I Lay Tracks"
Are there any German railway guns like this in trainz?

HE01258-2.jpg

Or maby this!!!

b414748173f858ddbdcbb4dc4cf876bb.jpg

Never really tried it, but if it is a static asset you can always use a clone of Cyberstorms: Drivable Superadaptor, and rename the clone username line, in the config file, and place the desired kuid inside, and make anything drive

Bendorsey made several railguns and some cars to go with them on the Download Station. Select 'Description', select Category 'Rolling Stock', type in 'gun', and search.

I've made:
1. 14 inch US Navy circa 1919
2. 15 inch German SKL/45
3. 16 inch US Howitzer circa 1918

I also have partial plans for several others I haven't made as yet:
1. 11 inch German K5E (Leopold)
2. 14 inch US circa 1920
3. 15 inch German Siegfried
4. 8 inch German K12N
5. 10 inch French Schneider
6. 12 inch French Sliding
7. 12 inch Chilean Sliding
8. 14 inch US Navy circa 1918

These are not easy to make, lol.

Ben

I tried the superadaptor, but the locos and car's wheels were not laying on the rails. Also, how can I make the superadaptor longer for the correct length of the loco and cars? I am also going to start a thread asking if there are any armored trainz out there.

Ya know gents there is a goodly bit of info out there on guns a like this.

In the early 60's a gent by the name of Robert D Fritz advertised in Model Railroader Magazine for railway gun plans and photos. Out of curiosity I sent off for his catalog . It was full of plan sets and photos so I sent off for one. I received a very well drawn set of plans with multiple views, sectionals, cutaways as so on. I still have them somewhere (I've been kicking myself in the fanny ever since for not going back and ordering more). Plans were available in HO scale to 1/2 inch to the foot scale. Prices were dirt cheap (which was great because I mowed lawns back then at $2 each, lol).

He lived in Lutherville, Maryland which I believe is right next door to the Aberdeen Proving Grounds where guns like this were developed and tested. There was a museum on base (which may still exist) about railway guns and he was associated with it in some way. He has long since passed away but his plan and photo collection may still exist at the museum.

Most guns like this were for WW1 abut a few existed for WW2. All were incredibly big and heavy. Some have been preserved (the German Leopold for example). Almost all had multiple bogeys with 4 to 10 wheels each. One had two bogeys with 16 wheels. Considering the wheelbase (around 30 ft) it must have had some sort of lateral motion devices built into the journals. Many used leaf springs like on steam loco drivers rather then coil springs due to the weight. Special routing was almost certainly a must due to weight and clearances. These were probably high priority consists as well (which must have driven dispatchers around the bend now and then, lol). A considerable number of support cars were required for ammo, powder, spare parts, tools, crew, and so on. Would definitely make an interesting consist on a route.

Firing was not fast. 5 to perhaps 30 minutes per round depending on the size (bore) of the gun. Some required a hole in the ground to accommodate the recoil of the barrel. Maximum elevation was limited to around 45 degrees. No side to side motion was possible within the gun itself. Instead they were located on a curved section of track for lateral aiming. Recoil was considerable. Many had winch assemblies on the front to haul them back into firing position.

Info and photos can be found on the web. Search for Robert D Fritz, Robert D Fritz railway guns, railway guns, and so on.

Ben

Last edited:
Here's a link to the museum with pics and it mentions Mr. Fritz and his article in

Development of America's Large Bore Mobile Guns by Robert D. Fritz, in the Number 2, 1973 issue of Warship International.

http://www.gwpda.org/naval/wusrw000.htm

I tried searching for the article online, but have had no luck other than the mention in the link.

Looking at those photos:

The 1st looks to be the 14 inch US Navy 1918
The 2nd looks to be the 14 inch US Navy 1919 (on the DLS).
The 3rd looks to be the 12 inch French Sliding.

See what I mean by lots of wheels? The second one has four 10-wheel bogeys (using loco type springs).

Most guns like this were for coastal defense but the Dora and Gustav monsters were used as siege guns (one at Sevastopol). I forget where the other was used. The third never made it out of the Krupp factory. I seem to remember reading it took a month to assemble and prepare one of them to fire.

Ben

I tried the superadaptor, but the locos and car's wheels were not laying on the rails. Also, how can I make the superadaptor longer for the correct length of the loco and cars? I am also going to start a thread asking if there are any armored trainz out there.
As these railcars were not zooming about the countryside, you would not see them traveling on a long distance train. They were positioned and assembled at strategic locations where they could be aimed at single locations, where they could best bombard places like London, as were the V2 and buzz bombs. So you could lay BNSF50 Invisatrack slightly lower than other tracks, and slide it underneath the normal train tracks, making it possible for a rail cannon to be towed out of a bunker, to a firing location. They were often placed on a curve, and fine tuned their position to aim it downrange

Cascade is correct. Once built, tested, and located they almost never moved again. However a few did. Mostly in WW2 as opposed to WW1. The 80 cm Dora and Gustav were moved at least once (from Germany and used one in the Crimea and the other in the siege of Leningrad I think). I seem to remember reading the disassembled gun took 5 or 6 trains to transport. I'd love to see a photo of the car that transported the barrel (all wheels, lol).

Ben

Yo Cascade:

If you like unusual cars like that a few years ago I made the special purpose NASA 4-bogey car that transported the solid rocket boosters for the Space Shuttle. I also made the containerized loads they carried as products. Are for TRS2004 but should go into newer versions with a few small changes.

Ben

Using the Dora or Gustav had to be a massive undertaking. Just getting it and all its support cars (several trains worth) to the site had to be a task and a half. Considering the weight you can't just slap one down and blast away. They carried their own specialized track on flatcars. That track had to be placed on very well prepared ground so the track with the gun on it would not shift or sink from the weight. It also couldn't be used where the other guys could shoot back or it really would be a LST (Large Slow Target). Remember it took weeks to assemble it for firing while the crew is standing there with bulls eyes on their butts, lol. In reality opposition would be minimal considering its range. Basically they were for folks who were too stubborn to surrender.

You also had to assemble the support cars behind the gun. Shells and powder bags were carried in boxcars with a system of overhead rails to move them from there to the gun then into the breech. This all had to be assembled in addition to the gun itself.

Ben

Now there is a new way to transport ammunition. They began to be transported in ordinary freight trains. Ammunition is loaded into ordinary gondola cars, which usually go covered with awnings. The channel claims to carry missile warheads, MLRS missiles "Grad," "Smerch," and others. Shells for divisional self-propelled howitzers and self-propelled artillery installations, ammunition for armored vehicles and other ammunition of small arms and artillery pieces, elements of personal protection are loaded into covered wagons. There are already completely different weapons. This is not the best shotgun scope for turkey hunting. This is real military equipment.

Back