iportals and wireless networking

colinknapp

IOWSR Shunter/Guard
i have 2 laptops, and have set trains2006 up on both, is it possible to send trains between my two laptops over a wireless network? i can play other games over it so i wanted to be able to send trains across.

i tried it the other day but it didn't work, do i need a mod or something?

note: neither of these laptops have internet

The iPortal system uses the internet so you'lve answered your own question.

Even if the laptops were connected to the internet you would need two separate copies of TRS (as you will need to register two separate serial numbers in order to create two separate Planet Auran login IDs so that you can use iPortal on two separate machines at the same time)

Cheers,

JB

spot on JB...

IPortal runs thru the Iportal server. that talks to the planet auran server to ensure that each copy of TRS is legit and thus you'll need two seperate copies. As to whether you need a second account is something that only auran can say...

regards

Harry

Having 2 copies of TRS06 is required with 2 Auran ID's and when logging on they must come from SEPERATE IP ADDRESSES just loggin on through the same modem won't work, (I know I bought an extra copy of TRS06 only to find this out later). Beware

I have 2 copies and 2 IDs, and my machines are connected via an ethernet to a NAT firewall box and from there to the DSL modem. With that setup, I can send trains between my machines. They do go through Auran's server, but it would show up as the same IP.

Hi,

Thanks for your message. Iportal does require a seperate IP addess for each profile username. You will not be able to connect to iportal with 2 different profiles with the same IP address.

Cheers,

Alan Yeomans.

Well NYSVRWX wish I knew what was going on because that was the message I got from the helpdesk, I'm using a dailup with on a LAN and when one puter is online soon as I log the other one on it bumps the other one off.

I have a Netgear FVS318 combination router, firewall, switch(Not hub), and NAT (Network Address Translator) box hanging off my DSL line. Each machine has a local IP that is unique to my localnet. The outside world sees one IP (assigned by the ISP) for all 6 machines here. It works. If you are on a plain dialup modem and/or a wireless hub (that isn't a real switch), those could be the problem. In any case you do need to be on the internet, because the trains go visit Alan before they come back. :) I think he likes to see the traffic. It would be handy to have an intranet setting in the portal config to keep them in house, for just this type of thing. Hope this clears it up. If not, maybe post your hardware models and wiring plan for the wired part of your net.

Steph

Yes I'm only can only run a dailup we live to far out in the country for DSL. But yes I wish someone would write a little program that fools trainz into thinking it has reached the Auran server and just diverts the the train to the another puter on the LAN. I was thinking of getting a commercial programmer around here to write such a thing, wonder how much it would cost

A lot. I have been programming for over 40 years and I know. The programmer would have to know Auran IP packets intimately and know how to return them so it looked like one of their servers. All the formats used in routing and re-routing packets would be necessary as well as any in-house programming Auran does to handle the trains themselves.

This sounds like a great item for the Suggestion Boxcar -- a method of using two copies "in-house" on your own local LAN.

Bill

Back