IMPORTANT!!! ANTIVIRUS FAULT!!!

I used to have Norton and I can't comment on whether it did its job properly BUT when I tried to renew it by phone I ended up talking to their "Service Centre" (sic) in India.The woman I spoke to could barely speak English and when I told her I lived in York and she replied "which country is that in?" I realised that my half hour phone call was pointless.I hung up and never renewed.Another gem was that gave the renewal price in Dollars and I asked "why on earth would I want the price in Dollars when I live in England" she replied "I'll have to get it converted to pounds".What a bunch of idiots.

That's one of the BIGGEST problems with service from computer manufacturers and software companies.... their service centers are in like India or the Phillipines... Dell's techs are in Costa Rica. Once in a GREAT while you'll get a tech rep who know's what they're doing--- but not that often.

I've used AVG for years - I know it uses a lot of system resources, and makes the bbot up a bit slow, but I've been happy with it!

I bought Registry First Aid which eats any stale cookies from the cookie jar every now and then and keeps my operating system from clogging up.

When I got the "free updates" will be discontinued, I stumbled upon the new version of AVG Free by accident, so have never felt the need to try anything different.

If it ain't broke, why fix it?

Last edited:
Hi all,
...Oh, by the way, if anyone wants a DVD of malware, then PM me:hehe:
No thanks, I have WinXP. :hehe: The automatic update feature searches out all the latest malware and loads it on my computer automatically.
I use Avast, but it recently stopped working when an antique dealer's website blessed me with a redirector that locked out all the major antivirus sites, so nothing can be updated.:confused:
Once I finish cleaning out the machine and saving all my projects to the external HD my baby's going into the shop for a week.

:cool: Claude

I use Avast, but it recently stopped working when an antique dealer's website blessed me with a redirector that locked out all the major antivirus sites, so nothing can be updated.:confused:

Oh, I hope you mentioned that to the dealer's website ISP.
You should probably send the bill to the operator of that site as well.

BTW, I have been using AVG for about 6-8 months now, except for one "false positive" that triggered tons of responses on their website, I haven't had any issues with it. I let it run even when playing games, no problems so far.

I think it's unfair of some of you that have jumped on Collin's about the study he has shared with us. It's not fair to automatically assume that the study was poorly done or is invalid. To push the point further, What makes the studies done in magazines anymore qualified? From the information Collin's provided it sounds like it was an acceptable study with acceptable findings. I also think it's naive to base your opinions off of one source. You only get a better understanding of things when you listen to every side. I think it's foolish to say stuff along the sorts of, well my favorite publication says it's good so I'm going to listen to them and not you. People can be wrong and conditions could sway one direction or another.

I've personally switched from AVG to Avira. I find most commerical anti-virus programs to be way overbloated with extra features that I just don't want. They can be cumbersome and sometimes cause more damage then good. For example, my sister aquired and installed McAfee on her computer. It ended up locking her out of her own computer and I had to go in there and manually clean it out.

A few notes about AVG. Just because a program has worked good for so many years doesn't mean it'll always work good. You gotta realize that times change and when it comes to securty you need to be aware of what's going on and what's falling behind. I started using AVG because it was an exelent and robust program. It was simple, free, and did what I needed, it kept my computer free of viruses. I swore by it and loved it. There came a time though when AVG didn't hold up as well, it hadn't stopped all viruses and it was giving me a number of false posatives on files I knew were fine. It was starting to become slugish too and this posed a problem when I was trying to work with resource heavy programs. I did the research on current freeware anti-virus software and it seemed people were in agreement that Avira was the slickest free anti virus software out there. I haven't even felt the need to close down Avira so I could free up some resources, something I had to do with AVG a lot.

A note about Norton. I've used flavors of norton that were horrible and completely turned me off to the idea of ever using a Norton product. However, I've also seen flavors of Norton that worked fine. I think it just kind of depends on what product of theirs you get.

In the end too it comes down to persona opinion. Because something works for you doesn't mean it's going to work for everyone else. This applys to both usability of a program and stability of a program.

It seems sometimes when someone steps forward to point out a problem, be it an antivirus program or even trainz, there's a ton of people that step forward and make a big point about how they don't have that problem. Rather then trying to make it out like that paticular person is wrong because you don't have that problem; you should be more constructive in the sense that you should help figure out why they are having that problem when it seems like you aren't.

Ya catch my drift son?

I think it's unfair of some of you that have jumped on Collin's about the study he has shared with us.

Maybe the first reply jumped, but the rest of us were giving our experiences with the different products.

well my favorite publication says it's good so I'm going to listen to them and not you.

No one based opinions off of a publication. Once again, personal experiences given.

It seems sometimes when someone steps forward to point out a problem, be it an antivirus program or even trainz, there's a ton of people that step forward and make a big point about how they don't have that problem. Rather then trying to make it out like that paticular person is wrong because you don't have that problem; you should be more constructive in the sense that you should help figure out why they are having that problem when it seems like you aren't.

Once again, this thread has changed to recounting personal experiences with anti-virus programs in general, not just the ones mentioned in the study. Repetition, I know, but that's more or less what it boils down to.

Speaking of jumping on people (as I am doing to the poster who jumped on the other people in this thread)...

Last edited:
I used to have trend micro until I got fed up with paying the annual subscription, loaded AVG it found 15 virii on my supposedly clean machine under trend micro, I then got the no more updates message from AVG and switched to !avast and it has been great

Maybe the first reply jumped, but the rest of us were giving our experiences with the different products.

No one based opinions off of a publication. Once again, personal experiences given.

Once again, this thread has changes to recounting personal experiences with anti-virus programs in general, not just the ones mentioned in the study. Repitition, I know, but that's more or less what it boils down to.

Speaking of jumping on people (as I am doing to the poster who jumped on the other people in this thread)...

Pardon, I may have read a bit further into it then you might see at first glance. I see your points, but I feel in some way my points are still valid. I was also pointing out an issue that's larger then just this thread. To be fair, I made it out to be worse then it was and really most people just shared their experiences, like you said.

I was actually running AVG before my Tutor finished his PHd (which he got, by the way), and as soon as he reported his findings I jumped on here to tell you all, and that was probably a mistake as I was not thinking before I posted.

I hereby apologise for my lack of reserve and this will not happen again.

I also accept apologies from anyone who has apologised, and I forgive all for any comments made.

Finally, thank you to JoshEH.

BTW, it's collinsL, Captain, Lloyd, or "Hey You!":hehe:

Back