How many tons do YOU pull per loco?

nuni727

Hey all,

I was just wondering how many tons people out there pull with any loco. If answering, please specify the loco model, Example: Dash-9, SD70Ace, BR Class 37. Any!:wave:

I have tried 15,000 tons of loaded coal (@ 113 cars), uphill from Altoona on a 1.75% grade, with 8 SD70's on the hea end, and 6 more on the rear shoving, and it still slows to 8 mph by the time it reaches the "Curve" (very nprototypical power lashup).

Downhill, with 25 of the same locos, with 25 "AI Brake", the train is unable to stop, and continues to slide at 1-2 mph.

Last edited:
I remember reading in a Trains magazine a long time ago, the rule of thumb for heading trains up a 2% gradient was to allow around 3hp per ton. I'm assuming that varies with the traction type/adhesion etc. Here in the UK for example we have single 3300hp diesel locos hauling loads of @3000 tonnes which is only just over 1hp per tonne. In this case (Class 59) the loco was designed and geared for this specific purpose - hauling heavy stone trains from the Somerset quarries up to the London area and Home Counties. However we don't tend to have the long continuous gradients that North American railroads tend to have.

I have tried 15,000 tons of loaded coal (@ 113 cars), uphill from Altoona on a 1.75% grade, with 8 SD70's on the hea end, and 6 more on the rear shoving, and it still slows to 8 mph by the time it reaches the "Curve" (very nprototypical power lashup).

Downhill, with 25 of the same locos, with 25 "AI Brake", the train is unable to stop, and continues to slide at 1-2 mph.

Really? I don't think i've been up to 15,000 tons but I took an 9.5k ton intermodal train up the same hill with 5 on the front end (2sd50s 2es44s and 1 sd40-2) and 4 (sd40-2s) on the back averaging about 15mph. So i guess yours sounds about right, wow, ill have to try that- sounds like fun:D although it does get a bit frustrating sometimes when u cant get up any speed, lol

Last edited:
Have you ever been to "MG Tower" (now pretty much off limits) where uphill trains are at "Mid Grade" point on the 1.75% grade, and are struggling, down on their knees, rumbling at 6 mph, in "Run8" ... makes your hair stand on end !

Or seen loaded coal trains in "Full Dynamics" throttling to keep the train speed down to 13 Mph or less !

Last edited:
Back