Help me how to DEM in layout?

dnutter

Hello guy,

I want to know that do anybody know how to work with DEM from google map or earth google transfer to layout? And, but if DEM could be cause risk in my trainz games?

- David

I do not know how to create a DEM, as it takes alot of technical data and complex programs.

On my Horseshoe Curve route there are many, many huge mountains, and deep rock cuts, where a DEM is almost an absolute neccessity in order to make all the mountains, valleys and river channels.

SRR wanted to get a DEM made of the Strasburg Pa area, which is relitively flat land with low rolling fields, has little or no gradients to the track, which is mostly straight, and is only 3.5 miles long, and has only 4 curves.

Philadelphia and Delaware are also relatively flat and also have few steep gradients...they are not in the mountains.

I use flat baseboards and can assist you with techniques of making low rolling fields and countyside in Delaware.

I like using "Basemaps A-Z", which are bigger than one baseboard (but are actually less than 4 baseboards in a square pattern). These require cut copy and paste of a topo map jpg image or a jpg Google Earth image.

You may find it easier to work with a custom made DEM of your requested area...but I myself find the gradients on a DEM are a grand pita, as they are up and down like a rollercoaster.

Hopfully someone will make you a DEM of your area.

Last edited:
You can do it!

:cool: Hello David, I'm glad to see your interest in DEM routes.

Give it a little time, to get acquainted with the terminology of what you want to use...

I started experimenting with MicroDEM(because it is free), HOG, Piglet, etc, but found no results mainly because I gave up & realized that others would continue route building in this manner...

That gave me basic knowledge that came in handy when I bought TransDEM(about $35).

Now, I sit & make marvelous DEM's using TOPO overlays...that no one wants to scenic...but I found away....

This may help you. It's all over my head.

Link to tutorials

Thanks Johnk!

DEM is not so difficult if you use TransDEM. It's payware but well worth the cash. You can add google images or maps to the program and trace out your route, roads, rivers etc.

http://www.rolandziegler.de/StreckeU...ansdemEngl.htm

You will need to start your route in TRS2004 or TRS2006 as TS2009 is not supported yet.
Geoff

Yeah I always using google earth or virtual earth site and, sorry guy I am not looking for any DEM with payware just freeware..And, I using TRS2006 with SP3

Give it a little time, to get acquainted with the terminology of what you want to use...

I started experimenting with MicroDEM(because it is free), HOG, Piglet, etc, but found no results mainly because I gave up & realized that others would continue route building in this manner...

That gave me basic knowledge that came in handy when I bought TransDEM(about $35).

Now, I sit & make marvelous DEM's using TOPO overlays...that no one wants to scenic...but I found away....

Really, you make feeling hard to work on DEM or TOPO or those are as easy for you can to doing anything from this?

Yeah, I am so begin want to work with DEM or another that those is first my time..And, still I am not looking for payware DEM just freeware DEM that's it..:wave:

- David

David,

I hope you looked around the Trainz Resources Directory while you were there. It's a massive site with almost 800 listings. Just in case you missed it, here's the link to the free DEM software:

Link

John

David,

I hope you looked around the Trainz Resources Directory while you were there. It's a massive site with almost 800 listings. Just in case you missed it, here's the link to the free DEM software:

Link

John

John,

Oh okay but you know I pretty very slowly part time because I am unexperience about DEM but guess I want just doing it but I need to more work of processing with DEM

Thanks for the links!

- David

Oh no...John said that TransDEM is payware but I want looking for any DEM with freeware but I don't need go to payware with DEM...:confused:

But you said MircoDEM is free??? Like HOG or Piglet or etc? Maybe you can give me the link as which I can download them? Thank you!

Also, may you said can right or wrong so when I take select over on any location on Earth Google map so when I stop then crop and copy them? And, transfer to MircoDEM? That's right? Sorry this make you confusing..

- David

David, Microdem is free. here's the listing on my site. I'm sending you there because there's also a listing from Wewain Trainz showing you how to use it.

Here's the link

John,

Sure no problem so hoping they help us how to work on it...

Oh, sorry I was blind because I have no pay attention because you was take the link with black bond at the below make me blind haha...:hehe:

Thanks for the link

- David

Im not sure if he managed to produce any routes with dem imports etc
David, have anything to show yet, I am quite keen to see, as I am starting to dabble around with this too.

Last edited:
David is deaf and communication with the forum is often very difficult for him. In the above posts he's merely asks for information about free Dem products, but he hasn't been back since to tell us if he's had any success. The last time I spoke to him several months back he was a very busy man. I'm sure he will tell us if he's been successful, but my guess is that hasn't been at this stage.

John

Focus minded...

:cool: Yes, David uses American Sign Language(ASL) to communicate. He can read & perfectly understands your posts, however.
It takes us a while to figure this out, really your post is needed from time to time to set things straight. David is an accomplished railfan with pictures published of his travels, loves the NS Delmarva area & does train-simulation routes, and is a member of many railfan forum communities.
You don't have to apologize, no one has been actually insulted...many posters have a determinded effort going to just learn English... His syntax may need practice, however he is so enthusiastic his determination is admirable!
I sent him a Delaware map over a month ago, he never acknowledged it, but the detail was so cool & guess he became overwhelmed...hope he downloaded it!

Thanks for the explanation. I have edited my posting to be more courteous, as it may not seem that way at first. I am just interested in his work, exactly for the reason that i am keen on his eagerness, it makes me quite happy.

Thanks guys
PS: what a great community.

:cool: Yes, David uses American Sign Language(ASL) to communicate. He can read & perfectly understands your posts, however.
It takes us a while to figure this out, really your post is needed from time to time to set things straight. David is an accomplished railfan with pictures published of his travels, loves the NS Delmarva area & does train-simulation routes, and is a member of many railfan forum communities.
You don't have to apologize, no one has been actually insulted...many posters have a determinded effort going to just learn English... His syntax may need practice, however he is so enthusiastic his determination is admirable!
I sent him a Delaware map over a month ago, he never acknowledged it, but the detail was so cool & guess he became overwhelmed...hope he downloaded it!

Your a good man backyard.

I have to ask, bellow your name, "ROAD FORMAN of ENGINES". Is that self proclaimed or is it your day job? Just had to ask. Edit: It just came to me, I guess the forum thing puts it there.

Last edited:
...speaking of...

:cool: I was just trying to modify the title using lower case...it did not work..

The knowledge I have accumulated is a cut-above the casual...

I acknowledge that I must have a significant knowledge based authority, having not actually worked for any road, however my study of the Diesel engine, along with Diesel training & experience in many fields of application have given me a knowledge-based level of experience to allow me to reveal to you things that you may not have run across, to allow further study...

My peeps check-in on every forum I participate in. The engineers with experience usually acknowledge what I say as applicable to actual experience.

I took the title as caps, to help our Auran Trainz Forum Community to help in accessing information by links, to help us understand the operations of Diesel-electric locomotives. The reversion to lower-case title, did not reflect the importance of this...and I just tried that in the last hour...

I do not know everything, but I have had many locomotive engineers as friends, most now gone, but someone needs to carry this knowledge on to others interested in traversing habitats served by trains. So the title of...

Thanks for your reply, your notice of these facts is regular, you really brought out what needed to be said regarding David, I know he is not hurt by your comments. He acknowledged what I told you awhile back, for the future, you are now equipped. We have many folks that are trying out English as a second language, work with them...

Yes, the Auran Forums Trainz Community(regarding the new ownership), is a wonderful addition to the information exchange we call the World-Wide-Community. It is worthy to note that the original & current managers are truly railfans in every way, allowing for any registered Trainz member to participate. The original games, became because of the participation of active railroaders from many countries.

And...we got a gaming engine from Heaven...for less than $50...go figure...!

An addendum...we do not teach any information that would actually "start" or "run" any locomotive...that information is not needed here...we teach how to maintain a train on any grade, or any circumstance that a locomotive would do to carry passengers, freight, to the desired location.

Back