HDMI tv as Monitor

jukeboxblues

Driver Tom
Check this out and see if it makes any sense to you. I had been using my 32" LCD HDMI tv as my computer monitor for several months with my old XP machine and an old ATI GS 6800 graphics card. It worked fine but Trainz sucked, as you can imagine.

So I bought a new ASUS computer, dual core with 4 gigs of ram, Win 7 (64) and integrated graphics. I swapped out the 300 watt psu with a new 600 watt psu. I swapped out the old GS 6800 with a new ATI HD 5770 1 Gb graphics card.

Now the HDMI 32" TV looks "OK" when playing Trainz. But all of the WIN 7 windows and text flickers and jumps. The Firefox web browser is almost completely unreadable. I've tried every resolution setting and refresh rate. The TV is 1080i.

So I hooked it up to an old 22" Westinghouse LCD I have and it looks fine and Trainz runs nice and smooth. The thing is - I spent a ton on upgrading the video and PSU and now I end up having to use the VGA port and a dinky monitor anyway...makes me kind of queezy, ya know? I had a hard enough time convincing the wife to invest in the upgrade components and now she's mad because everything looks smaller on the old 22" monitor.

I'd appreciate some techno-genius insight to this dilemma. Thank you for listening to me whine.

Last edited:
Do you have the correct drivers for the TV? I ran into this issue with an NEC TV at work. We connect it to a PC which runs a slide show. I needed to download particular drivers in order to get the image to sync up properly. The built-in generic driver wouldn't do it.

John

Check this out and see if it makes any sense to you. I had been using my 32" LCD HDMI tv as my computer monitor for several months with my old XP machine and an old ATI GS 6800 graphics card. It worked fine but Trainz sucked, as you can imagine.

I run both of my gaming setups (ATI 5870 and Nvidia GTX 480 based) on a Samsung 32” 1080p (1920x1080) HDTV via HDMI. I've never had any problems with the 15 or so sims/games (including TRS 2006, 2009 or TS2010) I run on it with Windows XP/SP2 64-bit or Vista/Windows 7 64.

I've never had to install any “drivers” or software with it either, the video cards drivers always recognize it.

Back