Google Maps Railfanning Section (READ RULES!)

A new shot from South Sumatra :

This July 2023 shot featured an unindentified CC206 of Kertapati depot (along with another CC206 behind) waiting at Banjarsari station with Palembang-bound coal train. Because of decree issued by provincial government of South Sumatra in 2015 that permanently banned all coal carrier trucks of private mining companies from running on provincial roads, the South Sumatra regional division of Indonesian Railways currently operating a large number of heavy coal trains each days to cater shipment from those companies' coal mine toward unloading terminal at the southwestern outskirts of Palembang city (either it could be Kertapati, Simpang or Kramasan stations).

I have a few more catches to post here that i found recently

here is a display of RJ Corman locomotives in Nicholasville Kentucky. There are 4 engines and a caboose.

at the headquarters nearby, there is an f3a with some passenger cars

hlcx 1029 in Houston

after a train went by, the google maps car shows a person get out of their car and pick up a branch that so happened to have fallen down. Sadly we arent able to see the engines on the train though.

csx 5001 the diversity unit

up 4014

some UP E8's

I have a few more catches to post here that i found recently

here is a display of RJ Corman locomotives in Nicholasville Kentucky. There are 4 engines and a caboose.

at the headquarters nearby, there is an f3a with some passenger cars

hlcx 1029 in Houston

after a train went by, the google maps car shows a person get out of their car and pick up a branch that so happened to have fallen down. Sadly we arent able to see the engines on the train though.

csx 5001 the diversity unit

up 4014

some UP E8's
oops i accidentally posted early

anyways the E8's

up 1943

and up 4141 and 1111 all in omaha

Iowa traction railway number 50, 51, and 54 in mason city Iowa

truck gets pulled over

mec 615

csx caboose

a no engine bnsf executive train

a black hole

bnsf 4703

and to end it off an interesting patch job by union pacific on sp/up 6361

Cool links finds.

Here's a yellow GE center cab #21 switching the GE Plant in Schenectady, NY

Another view of the same loco up close.

Great finds guys. Looks like I need to get back to Omaha! Interesting the one where he picks up the branch, on the other side of the tracks looks like an old school with every single window broken out.

Still fresh from the camera :

This December 2023 shot featured CC201 71 (CC201 83 33) of Semarang Poncol depot rebuilt with air conditioning equipment speeds through Weleri - Kalibodri section of Java North Coast Mainline with intra-provincial long distance train "Kamandaka", heading to Purwokerto via Slawi (branching off from the mainline at Tegal station before rejoining mainline toward Yogyakarta at Prupuk station).

And a crossing guard! A pretty mosque across the tracks.
And surprisingly an uncensored pre-election campaign ballyhoo standing in front of the mosque itself. 😅

Believe it or not, the crossing itself does not have any boom gates nor warning signals, resulting in these crossings are voluntarily guarded by local people. 😁

Another shot :

This May 2023 shot featured CC206 64 of Cipinang depot with loaded container train from Jakarta to Surabaya, but having its driver looking at the camera (yeah, most of Indonesians are aware with the presence of camera, even train drivers are no exception). 😁

Nice. I wandered down the road a ways around the curves both ways as usual. I was going to ask you about the term "depot". In the states that usually refers to a train station, but in your posts it refers to the type of locomotive?

Nice. I wandered down the road a ways around the curves both ways as usual. I was going to ask you about the term "depot". In the states that usually refers to a train station, but in your posts it refers to the type of locomotive?
In Indonesia, the term refers to the facility where locomotives (as well as passenger coaches, freight cars or even DMUs and EMUs) are allocated, serving as their "home" (a.k.a engine shed for locomotives). Of course they have capability to perform regular daily or monthly maintenance like wheel diameter inspection (for deciding whether it had to be lathed or even replaced), fuel filter cleaning, interior cleaning, etc. Such example is this one :

This March 2023 shot shows Cipinang locomotive depot and coach parking yard from the front side. This locomotive depot was constructed between 2016 and 2020 by repurposing the right-of-way of former Cipinang freight yard, which was closed some times between late 1990s and early 2000s. In this shot a pair of MCW302 series DMU rebuilt by Indonesian Railways as rescue car for accident (the yellow one, numbered SN 3 82 03 and SN 3 78 01) and special trainset reservable by large party group (the green one, with one of the car is numbered as SI 3 80 01, while the opposite car had its number obstructed by part of Monthly Check building) is parked near the fence that separated the depot and public road.

And I have another shot, though for the first one there are no locomotives there :

This November 2023 shot shows area around special workshops at Cirebon Prujakan dedicated for maintaining MoW equipments like tie tamping machines, ballast regulating machines etc. A string of ballast hoppers are parked nearby, but having 3 different types coupled in the same string :

1. Square-bodied with relatively long frame -> these KKBW type cars were delivered in 1965 and originally used for carrying coal in South Sumatra division of Indonesian Railways, with a handful number of these cars were repurposed (possibly between late 1980s and 2000s?) for carrying ballast stones in Java division.
2. Square-bodied but having shorter frame -> while these cars were also originally used for carrying coal (hence they bear name KKBW according to the original Dutch East Indies classification), but they were delivered around 1980s for West Sumatra division, and employed on Sawahlunto to Teluk Bayur route (which is notorious for having tight curves and smaller tunnels, and even having rack rail section between Kayutanam and Batutabal stations). A handful number of these cars were repurposed for carrying ballast after the coal train was abolished in early 2000s, while remaining cars were either rebuilt with cover for carrying limestone to cement factory, or even abandoned.
3. Trapezoid-shaped ones -> these ZZOW type cars were delivered in 1984 specifically for transporting ballast, with the base design was from earlier ZZOR cars (only having handbrake) for South Sumatra.

The second one is here :

While this shot is relatively new (shot on August 2023), it featured CC204 26 (CC204 11 06) of Kertapati depot taking rest at Tigagajah station while waiting for another duty. Because this station serves as the starting point for cement and oil trains in South Sumatra and Lampung divisions (as well as crew changing point for coal trains), this station plays an important role for freight shipment through rail in both divisions.
Then there is a third shot :

This August 2023 shot featured a pair of unidentified CC205 (lead unit : 3rd batch, trailing unit : 2nd batch) with loaded coal train passing through Tulung Buyut station, heading toward its terminus at Tarahan station.

Last edited:
Possibly the rarest shot ever taken by Google Streetview's camera in Indonesia :

This August 2023 shot featured area around Ketapang station (which is the easternmost station in Java island), but with CC201 91 (CC201 92 01) of Jember locomotive depot as the special guest. This locomotive is the third CC201 (GE U18C) to be repainted by Indonesian Railways back into the original cream and dark green color, complete with the legendary winged wheel logo (Indonesian : roda dan sayap) that came from the day when Indonesian Railways was still known in Indonesia as DKA (short for Djawatan Kereta Api). Because the photograph was taken in August, the locomotive had Indonesian flag tied on the handrails as part of celebration of the independence day of Indonesia on August 17th every year.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FYI #1 : although a fourth revival color locomotive (which was CC201 22 a.k.a CC201 77 17) was later introduced by Indonesian Railways in 2023, it became short-lived after the locomotive was destroyed in a horrific head-on crash with CC206 97 on January 5th, 2024 near Cicalengka station.

FYI #2 : originally all 20 third batch CC201 locomotives were delivered in the cream and dark green color paint scheme, but due to change of Indonesian Railways' status from being a direct state-owned corporation into a public corporation (resulting in the change of name from PJKA or Perusahaan Jawatan Kereta Api to Perumka or Perusahaan Umum Kereta Api in 1991) these locomotives were subsequently painted into the then-new paint scheme consisting of red with blue parallelogram shape and single white stripe (colloquially known as "RnB color" among Indonesian rail fans) and its also-iconic Perumka logo (referred as "Z logo"). The exception is CC201 95, which temporarily using its original paint scheme for a while but with Perumka logo slapped on top of the place where original logo was supposed to be placed there.*1

[*1] Actually the logo was once changed into blue pentagon one in 1988.

Last edited:
I have gotten a few more catches since my last post

first, we have ex-csx mac 4698 in san Antonio leading a up freight. there is another freight in the background

here is up 8070 in the same area, with the we deliver logo

here is an ex-cnw unit, numbered 3028. behind the autorack car, there is an ex-sp unit, which the number cannot be seen (plus a standard cab 9262)

here is cn 2112, a 15th anniversary unit with an ex-gtw grey unit, 5938.

https://www.google.com/maps/@46.767...e0!5s20140801T000000!7i13312!8i6656?entry=ttu
Ic 6260 in proctor

some interesting writing on this railroad crossing

cn 5298 with a faded striped scheme

ic 6260 again, now in duluth

amtrak 713 in syracuse

pickens railroad 9500 and 9504

and finally ic 6251

CC206 27 (GE CM20EMP) of Yogyakarta depot is captured in this November 2023 shot a few kilometers to the west of Kadokangabus station, seen here with Surabaya-bound container train. Note that the 3rd flat car is loaded with 40ft container painted in standard color of cargo shipment division of Indonesian Railways (officially called as "KAI Logistik" in Indonesia).

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Additional entry :

CC201 126R (GE U18C, formerly GE U18A1A number BB203 21) of Jember depot is captured by Streetview camera in this August 2023 shot near Arjawinangun station with "Bengawan" express train to Purwosari station in Surakarta city.

This September 2023 shot featured an unknown CC201 speeding through typical ricefield scenery of northern part of Java (located some kilometers to the south of former Kaliwedi station) with "Kutojaya Utara" all-economy class express train bound for Kutoarjo station, though I suspect that the driver of Streetview camera car breached traffic rule by passing the grade crossing just before the train passes there (luckily it was not transformed into scrap by the train).

Last edited:
Back