Google Maps Railfanning Section (READ RULES!)

A shot from unexpected location :

DB class 143 number 143 568-4 (EVN : 91 80 6 143 568-4) is seen in this June 2022 shot near Krippen station, heading toward Bad Schandau with a Dresden-bound S-Bahn (of course the locomotive is pushing from rear end).

Of course it would also reminds us with HP-Trainz's Bad Schandau - Dĕčín route, since the photo was taken on the section covered by that route (though the era is completely different). 😅

And then we have a new shot from the neighboring Czechia :

362 120-8 (EVN : 91 54 7 362 120-8) of České dráhy is speeding through the newly reconstructed Doubí u Tábora halt, located on the recently opened replacement line between Planá nad Lužnicí and Soběslav. The replacement line itself was completed last year, with the main purpose is to realize Správa železnic's plan to reduce time between Praha and České Budějovice (the other section recently doubled and relocated to new alignment on the same line is Votice - Sudoměřice u Tábora).

Both of them showing the RegioNova a.k.a 814 series railbuses (itself a product of modification of M152.0 railbus a.k.a 810 series), which are generally used by České dráhy on the Tábor - Bechyně branch line, either for replacing or supplementing loco-hauled trains on that line.

FYI : Tábor - Bechyně branch line (officially known as Správa železnic Line #202) is the first railway line in former Austro-Hungary Empire opened as electrified line from its start in year 1903, currently using 1.5kV DC as its overhead line voltage (as opposed to the mainline between Praha and České Budějovice, electrified at 3kV DC for section north of Benešov u Prahy and 25kV 50Hz AC for the rest of section all the way to the border with Austria).

I have collected a few good catches in the past month or so.

next up is a tfm grey ghost leading a dash-9 ns loco on an intermodal

then we have this kcs train stopped on the crossing right in front of the google maps car

then there was a bn standard cab locomotive peeking from the corner likely on a deadline or storage of some sorts

then we got the 2015 ge test unit on a bnsf intermodal

from this one shot, there are 5 ns eco units (one behind 4708)

ex sp 9362 with a few other old locos with it

ex up working for ns in chicago

and in this one place, we have 4 amtrak heritage units in different years, 100, 46, 184, and 712

a nice soo line duo

2 grey ghost units sandwitched between boxcars

ns track geometry train

bee line heritage unit

lehigh valley heritage unit

amtrak 108

a catch i have been hunting for almost 2 years now, a bnsf 25th anniversary unit, sadly the number being blocked, but likely either 6075 or 6078

ns 999

deadline near waycross with conrail and much more. there is over 30 units here

both lights of signal of rr crossing being on at once

the last e33, conrail 4601, on a up train in illinois

rj corman

pan am f7a duo

ex ic and cr units on shortline

and cr 5965 to end things off

hello find it you said "then there was a bn standard cab locomotive peeking from the corner likely on a deadline or storage of some sorts"

BN loco went to scrapped move left 45d and zoom where wheel, panel and engine left on ground!!

John

CC206 72 (GE CM20EMP) of Cipinang depot is seen here taking a half-empty container train from Surabaya toward track #4 of Losari station in this March 2023 shot, though I'm not sure why the train does not entered track #1 if it waits for a passenger train behind to overtook the container train.

Bonus : https://maps.app.goo.gl/tt8wQ6SAeRQjxDNu8

This is the old building of Losari station that dates back from Dutch East Indies period (when it was still owned by Semarang-Cheribon Stoomtram Maatschappij or SCS), which was abandoned after moved to the present station building due to completion of double track construction works from Cirebon to Brebes back in 2013.

Loco WAMX 4205

Recently looked at the Blue Ridge Southern, a 90+ mile shortline in western North Carolina. Ran across this loco (an EMD SD40-2?) at a large industrial complex in Canton NC. Also the nose of loco 3940 in the far left of image.

Last edited:
Go back to April 2008.

SP 2752 is on the point followed by a number of NS locos.
NS 3379
NS 5073
and ???

The last one I can't read due to the old blurry photos from 2009 that we thought were the bestest ever back then.

April 2013, what a difference 5 years makes with imaging technology!

Sitting in the front row:
NS 7069
NS 5073

on a through freight:
NS 3288
NS 5122
NS 3536
NS 3273

I love going back in time to see what's in the same spot years before.

Last edited:
New shots from Indonesia :

[1]

This September 2023 shot featured CC201 23 (CC201 77 18) of Cirebon depot speeds through the rice fields in southern part of Indramayu regency (West Java province) with Solo Jebres-bound "Bengawan" express train.

------------------------------

[2]

Only a few meters to the east from the shot #1, the "Bengawan" express train met container freight train heading toward Jakarta (either it originates from Sidotopo or Kalimas stations in Surabaya). While the number is not clearly readable due to distance from the track, I assume that its number is CC206 48 (CC206 13 48) of Cipinang depot.

------------------------------

[3]

Cirebon depot-based CC206 68 a.k.a CC206 13 68 is seen here taking container freight train toward Surabaya east of Pegadenbaru station in this May 2023 shot, however the track is obscured by tree and bushes standing between rail tracks and the road (and coincidentally a man wearing orange-colored uniform under the tree with his bike captured by Streetview camera is one of track maintance crews of Cirebon railway bureau, likely preparing for maintenance work nearby).

I love exploring your posts. An interesting cemetery down the way and across the track on that last one.
Most of cemeteries of small villages in Indonesia are having such huge trees that stoods there for more than 50 years, though the most interesting combination of railway tracks and cemetery in Indonesia would be this one :

This shot is from Tanah Kusir public cemetery in South Jakarta, where the cemetery is divided by Merak-bound railway line into west and east sections. Unfortunately the only public road that connects both sections had no crossing gates at all, which exposes danger to all road vehicles and pedestrians (since the line is already double-tracked and electrified toward Rangkasbitung, hence there are many commuter trains running there).

Very interesting! I see one side of the tracks is "Unit Kristin" and the other side is "Unit Islam". I wandered down the first side to the river and across the bridge, then turned around and walked through the Islam section until I got to the main road, and I found all the flower shops! Thanks for introducing me to more of your country, I think I could really like it there.

Back