Generating loaded trains on demand?

Even if the camera is a good distance away and pointing in the same genital direction as the high poly consists, your performance FPS will be negatively affected ... Trainz can see through walls
I had asked before ... If you have 100 one mile long trains, on a 100 mile long route, and none are nearer than 10 miles distant ... is Trainz performance still negatively affected ?

Last edited:
@xenium

When you do your search, in the upper right corner of the results screen you show 2 selections under download settings. The top selection is "result settings". Click on that. It will take you to a screen that has 4 download station settings options. The second one down is "display type". If it says "detailed", change it to "short". Then save your selection. If it already says "short", just back out. If you were able to change it to "short", rerun your search, and see if that gives you the 3 buttons we've talked about. Good luck.

Bob

@xenium When you do your search, in the upper right corner of the results screen you show 2 selections under download settings. The top selection is "result settings". Click on that. It will take you to a screen that has 4 download station settings options. The second one down is "display type". If it says "detailed", change it to "short". Then save your selection. If it already says "short", just back out. If you were able to change it to "short", rerun your search, and see if that gives you the 3 buttons we've talked about. Good luck.

Thank you Bob! That did indeed do it (it was actually set to "images only".)

It never ceases to amaze me how absolutely horrible, unintuitive, and buggy the Trainz user interfaces are, from the web site to through every software product that they've produced. It's just astounding. It's like none of the developers have ever had any experience with UI design whatsoever. I mean seriously, how would anyone have ever figured THAT out on their own. Sigh. :-(

I've literally wasted *hours* of my life now, just trying to download a file. I probably would have given up, frustrated, were it not for your instructions, so again thank you!

I've also wasted hours upon hours over the last week just trying to get this stupid default load thing to work. No matter how much time and effort I put into it, I just can't get anything to work. All I want is for a 4 car train to come out of portal with 2 hoppers full of coal, 1 hopper full of sand, and 1 tank car full of diesel. That's it! Simple!! But, hours and hours and hours of frustration, and nothing to show for it, and I still feel like I'm no closer to solving the problem. Argh! :-(

I've been playing with Trainz since 2006. It's always been so frustrating. I love trains and railroading of all types, real and model. I actually used to work for a railroad years ago (Massachusetts Coastal), so I really, really want to get this to work. I've owned a raildriver for all of that time too, and have given serious thought to someday building an actual simulator set up with a control stand and everything, as some others have done. But every time I try to get back into it, it's like running into a brick wall. I just can't ever get *anything* to work, no matter how simple it is. Like I said, in this case I just want a 4 car scheduled train to show up on my route when I want it to, yet it requires an absolutely mind-boggling amount of effort and knowledge just to get something as simple as that to happen.

It's soooooo frustrating, and honestly I think I'm getting close to the point of giving up again, like I do every few years. :-( It's just not any fun, constantly struggling with this. I just want to drive my train around my yard and do some switching, and despite putting *days* of time into trying to set this up over the past week (time I should have spent doing more important things in my life) I still can't even do that.

I don't know why I can't wrap my head around this. My career was in IT (I'm semi-retired now), so it's not as if I'm computer illiterate or anything. Just the opposite, I even spent some parts of my career doing software development. I understand revision control systems (which is what content manager basically is), I understand the software development and release cycle, versioning, dependencies, what a 3D mesh is, how 3d modeling and rendering works, I get how to check out a config file, edit it, commit it... I understand all of that stuff, and yet after 10 years, I can't get this freakin' video game to work. It really make me feel stupid. :-(

Ugh!

Thank you for listening.

/end_rant.

When you were running TRS2006 (years ago), were you able to figure out how to generate from a Portal: "a 4 car train to come out of portal with 2 hoppers full of coal, 1 hopper full of sand, and 1 tank car full of diesel ?

Perhaps it is impossible ?

Using the ? button you configure a train "to come out loaded"

IDK ... I have used Portals, iPortals, and AI with limited success ... sometimes wanting a program to automatically generate a simulation for you, is next to impossible, or is totally impossible

Think how real RR's operate ... There is no AI, nor automated loading ... Perhaps everyone needs to learn how to do things like the real RR ... and drive "Manually" and build train consists in a yard, by shifting them around with a shunting loco ... or place consists by hand, and configure them manually to be either loaded, or empty.

I just build a believable consist, and run them with believable locos ... running them all "Manually"

You can drive yourself mad expecting Trainz to perform with automation ... which is nearly impossible, or is totally impossible

Well, honestly, I can't remember specifics of what I was trying to do in TRS2006 10+ years ago. I've lived in 4 different states and had three different jobs since then, it seems like it was another life, hehe. :) I can tell you though that every time I've revisited Trainz (all four versions that I own), it's been painful. It always seems like whatever I've tried to do, even when it was just basic, built-in stuff, there were always issues. I really have gotten so frustrated before that I've just said I'm done and quit, but then after a year or two I'd see that there was a new improved version of Trainz available, so I'd buy it hoping it would work better, try again, and would just have more problems.

I decided a few weeks ago to give TS12 a try again, since that's the newest version I have, and it's been kind of a nightmare again. I'm trying to be patient and not give up this time though, but man... I don't know that I have the patience for this. :)

As for how real RRs operate, well yes, I'm pretty familiar with their operations. There is nothing unrealistic or unprototypical about a mixed freight. It's really common for railroads to receive trains via interchange which contain a random combination of loaded and unloaded cars containing different commodities. And that's really all that I'm trying to simulate: Just a simple yard, with trains coming and going. I'm really not trying to automate much of anything. (The extent of my automation is a single rule for trains arriving on the railroad that says "navigate to yard receiving track." From that point I take over controlling the train.)

If the developers of Trainz had simply decided to save the load data in the consist's data structure then we wouldn't have to resort to all these horrible kludges with cloning cars and hacking their config files, or using user developed rules to try to "instantload" cars as they appear on the railroad. You could just lay out a train in Surveyor, load it up the way you want it, and click "get consist". It would work so beautifully. Instead it's all just silly the way they have it set up: they decided to approach it as if in the real world all trains carry only one product, and are either completely full, or completely empty.

Someone else mentioned just using staging tracks instead of portals. That's a great idea and I'd love to. Seriously, I would really much prefer to do that, it seems like a much more straightforward, easier way to do things. But again, due to the way they designed Trainz, that solution doesn't scale well. If you have those extra trains on the route, it slows things down, even if they're not moving and not visible. :-(

At this point, I've given up on all the funky instantload rules. From everything I've seen, they're either going to limit me to having a train that is fully loaded with the default product for each car, or fully loaded with a product with a specific index (which must be the same for each car.) This will prohibit me from having a mixed freight, so I'll need to clone a few cars and edit what their default loads are. If I'm going to be doing that anyway, I figure I may as well just skip the instantload stuff and change the config files for those cloned cars to be loaded instead of empty by default. I had read elsewhere here in the forum that this is possible. That's what I've been working on today. I've spent most of the afternoon and all of this evening trying to get that to work, but can't. I've finally gotten it to where Trainz at least recognizes my modified config without generating errors or warnings, and it will allow me to place the cloned car on the track. However, it's still empty when I do. :-(

So that's where I'm currently at. Still plugging away for now. Waiting for the point where this starts to be fun and not feel like I'm at work troubleshooting, hehe. :)

By creating, and naming a "New Consist" you can make a 5280' loaded coal train, or a mixed consist of loaded and empty cars ... and at the beginning of a surveyor session, you lay this "New Consist"

I have a complete blast with Trainz, being able to send these trains from the Entrance Portal, 100 miles away all the way to the Exit Portal, using NO Rules at all ... instead by using a small handful of named Trackmarkers, Track Direction markers, and by naming a "New Consist" either a Passenger (Priority 1), or a freight (Priority 2), and having them follow a detailed path of track direction makers, and train priority marker. My AI trains follow an exact desired intricate path through very complex interlockings, with little or no user input or control ... so realistically that it actually looks like it is computer controlled AI.

I can assemble the EB combination of loaded and empty consists PIEN, from Conway Yard in Pittsburgh, all the way along the several hundred mile long route, staying on track #2, all the way to Enola freight classification hump yard ... avoiding all passenger trains, and giving passenger trains priority 1 track right preference over freights

By simplifying Trainz operations, you get the most joy of running trains, with little or no troubleshooting.

After you hit your thumb 100 times with a hammer... you come to a startling obvious conclusion, that you were doing it all wrong, all this time, and there has to be a better, more simple way of driving a 3/4" brad with a sledgehammer
Put the simple back in running Trainz ... and Trainz will be an absolute joy :cool: Or try to run it like a computer controlled automated NASA space shuttle and it will be an absolutely frustrating PITA, of why the heck din't' it work automatically using AI and Portals ?

By creating, and naming a "New Consist" you can make a 5280' loaded coal train, or a mixed consist of loaded and empty cars ... and at the beginning of a surveyor session, you lay this "New Consist"

So you're saying to just have it on the route when I start my driver session, like a staging track instead of portals? I guess that will work for what I'm doing, I just hate to do it that way because if I start adding more and more trains it's going to slow my computer to a crawl.

It's 4:00 am here, I've literally been up all night again trying to make this work. I actually thought I had it, only in the end to find out that no, things are still broken.

I picked a hopper car that I wanted to use, this one: <kuid2:56063:150273:5>. I tried cloning it and editing the config.txt. I tried to set it up so that the car would recognize the three load types I was interested in (coal, sand, ash), and I made a few clones of it, each with a initial-count changed to reflect a full load, and a product-kuid added to reflect which of the three I wanted that car to start out with. At first this seemed to work, the cars appeared with the loads they were supposed to, and when I tested it in driver, they came out of the portal loaded like I wanted. I was psyched. But then when I went to unload them at my coal tipple they wouldn't unload. (Something that worked before I modified the cars.) I then started getting MFX error messages in driver (I don't even know what MFX is, but noticed this car said it supported the MFX extensions, so I figured it was something I didn't need if they were an extension of some sort that not all cars had anyway.) I figured this might have something to do with why the cars wouldn't unload now though, so as a test I made another clone of the original car, and this time the only things that I did to it as change the initial-count and add a product-kuid for coal, no other changes. Even making just this simple change to the config causes it to start generating MFX errors in Driver again, but this time, the car *does* still unload properly. Sigh. So I don't know what I did wrong when I modified the cars or how to fix it, I'm too tired to work on this anymore tonight.

Put the simple back in running Trainz ... and Trainz will be an absolute joy :cool: Or try to run it like a computer controlled automated NASA space shuttle and it will be an absolutely frustrating PITA, of why the heck din't' it work automatically using AI and Portals ?

But that's just it, as I said before, I *AM* trying to keep it simple. In fact it sounds like what I'm trying to do is much, much simpler than the things that you described you've set up. I'm certainly not "trying to run it like a computer controlled automated NASA space shuttle." I have an incredibly simple route set up with a two track mainline and portals at each end. All I want is for a train to be able to come out of one of those portals with two hoppers loaded with coal, one with sand, and a tank car. Ideally I'd like it to drive itself over to my yard, but that's one simple command ("navigate to trackmark X"), and that part is actually the one part of this that already seems to work flawlessly.

So what is the secret? How do I get my simple little 4-car loaded train to show up on my route during a driver session?

There are a lot of assets on the DLS where they are already loaded. Maybe check them out and see what has been done in the config to make this happen. Once they are unloaded they act as a normal asset.
Cheers,
Mike

Back