Forgive me - For I am NEW...

Werewolf13

New to Trainz. Got the 2012 version last night off of Amazon.com and I have some newby questions.

After getting signed up for Planet Auran I saw that I was given a 20% discount on the 1st Class ticket. How long will that discount be available. I know that I'm going to get an FTC but don't know whether I need it now or until I get familiar enough with Trainz to start taking advantage of the numerous things available at the DLS. Get it now or wait?

Any recommendations for what I should start out getting from the DLS?

I patched trainz from the dl'd version to the current 992 version (I think that's what it updated to - maybe 922 - latest in any event). When the DL was complete the apply patch button never ungreyed. Any ideas why?

I left the screen up for about 6 hours or so figuring maybe it was just working to finish - but not the case and canceled out. Got a message (not unexpected) to the effect that canceling the operation might not be a good idea. Had no choice and did it. Rebooted and started trainz. It seemed like the patches took.

Using the CCP I saw a bunch of stuff in the list that showed update available. Picked one and dl'd it. I then got a dependency missing notification for that particular DL. What's up with that?

I'm running with a 2nd gen i7 CPU, 8 Gb Ram with an nVidia 560 with 2 Gb Ram on board and Win 7 64 bit OS. Any suggestions on optimum settings so trainz will run well?

I'll probably have a bunch more newby questions when I dive into this thing tonight. If this isn't the right place to post newby stuff please point me in the right direction.

Thanks

Welcome to the forums.

Regarding patching, it sounds like it did the patch automatically - the Apply Update button only activates on manual patches. As long as the button you clicked was a Exit button, not a Cancel button, you'll be fine.

As for content updates, it's simpler to use the in-game feature for this. Click Content Updates on the main in-game menu, then click Download All twice (it will appear in two seperate boxes on the screen).

The voucher will have an expiry date so I wouldn't leave it too long.

As for missing dependencies, this is normal for some older assets due to creators sometimes using third-party sites to host their assets.

Shane

About that patch, build 4992 is the latest build. So the patch Trainz button will be greyed out until a new patch is made.
As for the updates to content, if you see some thing as missing, try re dl'ing it. Might be that CMP didnt grab some thing. Happens a lot with routes and locomotives. A tree might not have been downloaded, or a engine spec might be missing. Try right clicking on the asset and clicking on "View Dependencies." That will show you every thing that asset needs. If it has a DLS Icon, then its on the DLS and you can get it.

Hello and welcome, here are some comments on a few of your questions:

...After getting signed up for Planet Auran I saw that I was given a 20% discount on the 1st Class ticket. How long will that discount be available...

Anybody's guess how long any discount is on for ! Discounts come and go - and come back again, one thing I can say for certainty is that once you have a FCT you will no want to go back to the snails pace way, FCT is so much faster.

...I left the screen up for about 6 hours or so figuring maybe it was just working to finish...

First lesson - Trainz patches can take a very long time and it's a bad idea to cancel them. I'm glad yours seem to have taken OK, I generally leave them overnight or for some other time when I won't be using the computer for a good while.

...I'm running with a 2nd gen i7 CPU, 8 Gb Ram with an nVidia 560 with 2 Gb Ram on board and Win 7 64 bit OS. Any suggestions on optimum settings so trainz will run well?..

You should have no problems "maxing out" all your Trainz settings with that piece of kit.

...If this isn't the right place to post newby stuff please point me in the right direction...

This is fine to start with but long term you would probably be better off posting in the "maintenance of the way" "TS12" section for this kind of query.

With regard to your first class ticket (FCT), you can buy it while it's on discount, but you can activate it whenever you like. So, buy it, and then activate when you're sure you want to start using it. The time doesn't start counting down until it's activated. But, as already said, discounts come and go, and there'll be another one along at some point in time.

Another point, as you're running Win7, run Trainz as "Administrator". R-click on all the .exe files in your Trainz install folder in Explorer, click "Properties", "Compatability" tab, and right at the bottom there's a check box, "Run as administrator". Check it. There are a few .exe files in the Bin folder, plus 2 or 3 in the main folder that you see when you click the TS12 folder. If you don't do this, you will have problems.

Also, check out Shane's tutorials at:

http://trainz.shaneturner.co.uk/tutorials/

these will save you a lot of grief. I have the site bookmarked, and after a good couple of years I still find them helpful.

Welcome to the forums, and happy Trainzing.

Ken

Welcome to the forum werewolf 13. I bought a lifetime FCT. A little pricey, but it will outlive me! I have found that I spent less time downloading now than it takes for my computer to install the assets! You do save a lot of time downloading, that is for sure!

I went ahead and bought an FCT.

A poster mentioned activating it.

Searched a bit on how to do that without luck. How does one activate their FCT?

Back