Error when launching Trainz.

Zeldaboy14

Owner of ZPW.
So, today I backed up my PC's most important files onto a external hard drive, and redid my PC. Afterwards, I got everything set up. i went to go launch trainz and got this error: "The program can't start because d3dx9_42.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem." Anyway to fix this error?

You require the DX9 install even though you have DX11 or even DX11. The reason is even though DX11 and up has some of the DX9 components, it's missing more of the important ones.

Do you have Steam installed?

So... If you have Steam, go to C:\Program Files (x86) Steam Apps/Common/{pick s game}/_CommonRedist/DirectX/Jun2010

Then find the DXSetup.exe, and run that.

That will install the necessary components.

This is a bit easier than trying to get the download off the web, besides the Microsoft Web Installer will say you have the latest installed, which adds more frustration.

John

Managed to find a copy of the June 2010 one. That one worked like it should. It was the older one that I tried that gave me the error that it was for 98, 2000, xp, and server 2003.

Managed to find a copy of the June 2010 one. That one worked like it should. It was the older one that I tried that gave me the error that it was for 98, 2000, xp, and server 2003.

I'm glad that fixed that. I copied that folder myself to a 'safe' place on my backup drive just in case for situations like this.

Back