Double Heading Steam Locomotives.

nuni727

Hey all, can someone please teach me how to double head steam locomotives? I know that you have to drive each one independently but I still need the basics. For example, which loco do I brake with, how much should the cut-off be set for each and so on. Thanks! Any help is appreciated. :wave:

I tried DCC but I want the feel of running a steamer. I can already run one with no problem, the thing is that I don't know how to run two at the same time, on the same train.

Basicly there is the reverser, which is shoved forward.

Then the brake release, set to release.

Then the throttle which is pulled back on, gently.

There is also sand, for traction.

And various other levers, turning knobs, and other highly sophistamacated doo-whacky's.:hehe:

Watching the handles move in DCC mode, can give you a fair idear' of how to operate it in Cab mode.

Interesting question, I am too new to Trainz to give you an answer but I can speculate. :D

Trainz seems to assume that if the engines are coupled to each other they have linked controls, I do not know if this is true for steam engines or not but it seems likely to be the default. This may be a setting that can be altered in Sessions.

There is also a hot key that allows you to switch from cab to cab and that may be your best choice, it would certainly be challenging. :D

I look forward to a knowledgeable answer. :cool:

The last time I tried it in Cab mode, you needed to set the controls for each locomotive seperately.

It makes for a lot of switching between cabs, but good fun. Makes sure the loco's use TC3 or later enginespecs. Train braking needs to only be done on one loco.

they have to be driven independently, although the braking systems appear to be coupled together.
If you are proficient driving one then all it takes is much hopping between them.
It was a skilled job using two crews, one keyboard is never going to compete :)
Rog

Would double heading steam engines in trs12 multiplayer work in that 2 diffrent players could operate the two engines; one for each engine?

@Thad
The only problem with that is the lag. If the two players have different internet speeds I'm pretty sure that there will be some broken couplers. :hehe:

@cascade
Yes, turning knobs and pressing random buttons always works but what I am looking for is the amount of force that each locomotive should be contributing such as should the lead locomotive be pulling more than the second should be pushing and such.

Back