Diesel Engines with a good view out the Window

After using Trainz 2012 for years, I finally upgraded to Trainz 2019. I am gradually learning this new simulator. My biggest disappointment is trying to find a diesel engine that has a good view out the windshield. I would like to drive something such as an F-7, SD-40, or almost anything, as long as I can see out the windshield and the view out the windshield uses most of the screen. Any locomotives supplied with Trainz 2019 have very small windshield views.

In Trainz 2012, I drove an Amtrak engine pulling freight because I could see very well with it. Unfortunately, I no longer can find that engine.

Pleae recommend some engines I can try to drive. Thank you for your help.

After using Trainz 2012 for years, I finally upgraded to Trainz 2019. I am gradually learning this new simulator. My biggest disappointment is trying to find a diesel engine that has a good view out the windshield. I would like to drive something such as an F-7, SD-40, or almost anything, as long as I can see out the windshield and the view out the windshield uses most of the screen. Any locomotives supplied with Trainz 2019 have very small windshield views.

In Trainz 2012, I drove an Amtrak engine pulling freight because I could see very well with it. Unfortunately, I no longer can find that engine.

Pleae recommend some engines I can try to drive. Thank you for your help.
my recommendations to start are by looking at Jointed Rail, RRmods.com for Payware locomotives and this all depends on how much or little you want to spend for your budget. Both of the two sites i recommended have freeware content also... Both sites require a account to be able to download and buy content the accounts are free... Good luck finding what your looking for in the long run.. Enjoy the game and the hobby.
Cheers
Retro

Scrollwheel zoom to the desired framing. Theres also a setting that allows you to move the camera in interior views with the arrow keys.

I often find interior views where if I look down I'm over the seat back - which is a touch too far back in my opinion.

Yes - in fact the up (or forward if you like) arrow key can propel you right out in front of the loco for a completely unimpeded view ahead if you so wish. Hold it down till you're where you want to be.

I understand zooming in, but that is not what I am referring to. What I am looking for is a locomotive I can see out the windshield and clearly see to the left and to the right of the track. There were several in Trainz 2012, but I cannot find any in Trainz 2019.

There are literally thousands you can download from the DLS. Look for ET44s, ES44s, GE Dash-8s, Dash-9s, etc.

Doesn't it just depend on the loco that it is modelled after? For example, you're going to get a better view from a Class 47 then a Class 20 as the latter has a bonnet in front, so the view is more akin to a steam loco. A class 47 has a flat front and therefore your view is nice and wide. I appreciate that from the posts so far it appears you are after something American but just find a locomotive that suits your particular needs and see if a model of it exists. You'll only know by trial and error - some have cabs which aren't prototypical and others have accurate, prototypical cabs. Shop around on the DLS and try a few different models.

Cheers,

PLP

Doesn't it just depend on the loco that it is modelled after? For example, you're going to get a better view from a Class 47 then a Class 20 as the latter has a bonnet in front, so the view is more akin to a steam loco. A class 47 has a flat front and therefore your view is nice and wide. I appreciate that from the posts so far it appears you are after something American but just find a locomotive that suits your particular needs and see if a model of it exists. You'll only know by trial and error - some have cabs which aren't prototypical and others have accurate, prototypical cabs. Shop around on the DLS and try a few different models.

Cheers,

PLP
Exactly. If he's running a high-hood EMD GP9 diesel switcher, he won't see much side the left since the driver sits on the right. The modern road engines such as the GE Dash-8 series, or EMD ET44s will have full wide cabs with literal picture windows to look out in the front and he'll be able to see everything.

I'm just saying you can get a better view if you shove your "face" against the glass instead of the often default "low rider" positioning and posture. :LOL:

And I find a bump or two of zoom makes for a more real feeling field of view. (Makes signals easier to see too)

My apologies if you know this already.

In surveyor or diver go into 'settings' - 'general settings' - look down the list and tick 'enable free internal camera'.

look up your chosen locomotive in session and go to interior view '1'. If you see a row of 5 numbers at bottom left screen, then you can set the view to anything you want by using the up, down and arrow keys, without foreshortening or distorting the image. Once you have the windshield or outside view that you want (or any other view you may wish to save) make a note of the numbers at bottom left. If there are no numbers at bottom left then it is probably a built in or packaged loco that does not allow free internal camera. Nearly all DLS locos will allow it.

If you want to keep this or these view settings, go into 'content manager', look up your locomotive, look up its dependencies for the internal or cab view (the kuid number can be found in the loco config file txt. under 'interior'). Open that dependency's 'config file text' and you will see lists of numbers under the heading 'camera list' (then camera0; camera1 etc.). If you copy the numbers you took from the screen to one of the cameras (or add a new camera) and save the dependency your required view or views will always be there.

ingha

Thank you for your answers. Ingha, your solution works well. I really wish engines did not have glare on the windshields and windshield wipers in the way. I would like a good clear view from left to right.

When using cab view pressing key 1,
I can recall by memory one can change a locomotive cab view fixed location x, y, z co-ordinates in the configuration setup of the loco cab interior asset.
For example adjust the driver default viewing seat height and distance from screen.
When it rains in the simulator it is a pity that the windscreen wiper blades do not function in cab view mode. Task (update older train cabs for TRS 2019).

Back