cpu motherboard??

My dads pc has been playing up for a week or so and keeps locking up, only thing you can do is switch off and on again.

got the blue screen a couple times something about nv4_ram or somthing like that done a google search on the error code and it pointed to the video card.

As we have the same towers I put my card in and within 5mins it locked up again, so I thought thats ruled out the video card, so I swaped ram over with the same result, cpu seemed to slove the problem untill I put his cpu back in then it came back.

So I'm trying to find out if it would be the cpu or motherboard, about a year after we got them my cpu socket failed and I had to have it replaced. Rang the place up where we brought them from and got told £40 for them to look at it which would take 3 days.

Is there any tests that they would run that I could run myself?

Cheers Rusty

Errr, few bits of information missing. What specs? I've had similar abnormal crashes and they were eventually down to the video drivers. (This was on a GF 7600).

You also haven't mentioned a lot else making help difficult, what have you tried to determine the outcome?

cpu seemed to slove the problem untill I put his cpu back in then it came back.
I think you just answered your own question, if the motherboard is OK running your cpu, then it can't be the motherboard.
However, putting his cpu back in crashes it, so it looks to be his cpu at fault. I am working on the premise that both cpu's are identical.

You seem to have narrowed it down to the CPU. Don't bother with the shop just make sure you get the right socket CPU, at least you'll save the £40 for them to tell you what you allready know.

Indeed. Does your father's CPU lock up your rig? If it does, then I would say it's his CPU beyond a doubt.

when you replaced your mother bored did you keep your cpu or did you change that out to. also try his cpu in your pc if it dose the same thing the cpu most likely tost be toast

I think you just answered your own question, if the motherboard is OK running your cpu, then it can't be the motherboard.
However, putting his cpu back in crashes it, so it looks to be his cpu at fault. I am working on the premise that both cpu's are identical.

He hasn't said which kind of CPU it is, so I'm still thinking its drivers (or he hasn't given enough time for the error to maninfest itself.)

Russell, you might want to try this utility to confirm it is the CPU. Its called "Ultimate Boot CD" and what it does, is do several hardware tests on the computer to see which components are faulty.

http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

You can select specific tests, which perform tests on that particular piece of hardware, it will tell you if its failed or not.

@ Wessex_Electric_Nutter: I didn't see the need to say what the system specs were and theres no way it can be drivers I've reinstalled windows xp twice with the same result, Even went as far as to try vista. But I'll give http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/ a try.

The cpu is a amd athlon 64x2 daul-core 5600+
Motherborad is a MSI KN9 SLI Platinum nvidia nforce 570 SLI chipset.
4 x 1gb kingston hyper technology
Nvidia geforce 8500GTvideo card

Is that enough info?

@ BLACKWATCH: Both the cpus are the same.

@ skol587: All I did was send my board back to MSI for repair.

@ Euphod: as yet I've not tested anything of his in my system but I shall do later.

Thanks to all so far.

Cheers Rusty.

Ok tested cpu video card and ram in my pc with no lock ups or anything.

Put it all back into my dads and all I get is lock ups even before it get's into windows.

Is there anything else I can try other than checking the psu?

@ Wen The only driver I can't seem to get to install is the SMbus which was installed before I did a reinstall of windows.

Cheers Rusty.

The lock ups before Windows means it not a driver, ether PS or MB.

It's the motherboard. I started getting some beeps tried 1 ram stick at a time and still got the beeps.

I thought hold on the video card has ram too so I swaped it over to the other PCI_E port and got no more beeps put all the ram back in and have been runing it now without a lockup for 1:30mins so far so good (touch wood).

Looks like it's time to Rma this board now.

Thanks to all for your help on this.

Cheers Rusty.

Back