Correct Exhaust

BrianPacos

Creator, BMP Trainz
There are many drawbacks to this hobby if you are a perfectionist. I noticed today on my ATSF 5000 kitbash that it's only "chuffing" twice per wheel rotation instead of 4, which is since driving me crazy. I've spend all afternoon trying to come up with why that might be. I'll try and list everything I've tried. Note that in attempting to single out the problem, I did everything in two parts. For example, in checking the driving wheels I would both replace the drivers on my ATSF 5000 with ones from an already-tested asset that works and put the 5000's drivers on that locomotive to see if they would work. Assume that the new parts on the 5000 didn't fix the engine, nor did the 5000's parts on another engine cause that one to not work properly:

Enginesound
Enginespec
Wheels (all sets)
Loco script
Cab interior

Has anyone ever run into this problem? How/were you able to fix it? I'll update this post as I continue to troubleshoot.

Last edited:
Check the "number-cylinders" tag in the enginespec is spec is set to "2" and make sure that the driving bogey is the only one in the config set to"direct-drive 1"

Check the "number-cylinders" tag in the enginespec is spec is set to "2" and make sure that the driving bogey is the only one in the config set to"direct-drive 1"

I've already checked "Direct-drive" (had an issue with that on another locomotive) but I'll have to look through the engine specs. I tried another one with the 5000 that didn't change anything but I don't remember a "number-cylinders" tag when browsing through it.

Last edited:

Yep, that was it. Enginespec didn't have a "number-cylinders" tag in it, funny enough. The engine specs are so foreign to me that half the time I don't know what I'm looking for! Thanks!

Back