Consists - Name individual vehicles

Hello,

I have recently started to use the Schedule Command List, Station Train Library and Schedule Data assets by 'callavsg' due to shortcomings with the Driver Setup rule as elaborated below.

The reason I have switched to using these assets is as an alternative to Driver Setup in TANE. The number of drivers in Driver Setup is not limited, but its new select vehicle menu system experiences a timeout when there are 50 drivers. I have been getting around this by selecting the text field and using the enter key which selects a random vehicle and I would use the move to locomotive driver command to move to the desired vehicle.

This was not really a good solution and could run into problems if N3V disabled the enter key workaround.

I have successfully used 'callavsg' assets which you can set a trackmark as a spawn location, select vehicles or a consist to be created and enter driver commands for the train to use.

I have tested this with more than 100 trains spawning simultaneously and it works perfectly and all menus do not timeout.

My only problem is that I can no longer select the names of my vehicles. I have been using consists and they just randomly use the default name of the locomotive asset with an additional number at the end.

Is it possible for a consist to be created which keeps unique numbers? I have tried naming the vehicle with a new name and creating a new consist, but it will not allow me to create a separate consist as it thinks it is identical and does not take into account the individual vehicle names. If there was a workaround I know that would mean me creating a new consist for each train I want to place. Eg create consist named Class 1000 SET A which would have vehicles named (1001 + 1002 + 1003 + 1004), then Class 1000 SET B (10051 + 1006 + 1007 + 1008) and so on.

Has anyone else had a similar problem and found a solution, I imagine using Portals to spawn trains would run into the same issue as I have experienced.

Thanks for reading and even if there is no solution, I hope someone finds this technique useful if they are having problems with driver setup. I would rather have lots of trains running with incorrect numbers of the front, that correct set numbers and less trains!

Is it possible for a consist to be created which keeps unique numbers?

If you mean create a new consist with individually named (or numbered) wagons, then save the consist for future use so that when it is placed onto a layout, the entered names/numbers are retained - then the answer is no. The same is true for any loaded commodities in the wagons. When a wagon, or a consist, is placed into a layout, its name (with an incremental number) and load defaults to the values given by the asset creator.

I have tried naming the vehicle with a new name and creating a new consist, but it will not allow me to create a separate consist as it thinks it is identical and does not take into account the individual vehicle names.

That is because using the same name makes it identical - just as Word/Excel/etc will not allow you to have two different documents with the same name stored in the same location.

Thank you pware for getting back to me. It is only really a problem on two types of vehicle I use, where the name is displayed on the front of the train instead of the running number as with most trains. I might try and find a way to remove this text in the config. An alternative is to clone each vehicle and rename the asset to the exact number that I need to have displayed. Not sure if that would have any effect on performance, I wouldn't imagine it would as the textures would be the same, the only difference would be the name of the asset.

Back