Configuring Train Yards

What a way to spend my 3,000th post on what I'm about to write about. Not an actual prototype yard but the layout is something of that but not an actual carbon copy of a real life train yard.
3d5756641f6a9f8f80753d4b4117648a.jpg

Kris,

Couple of comments on your sketch:

1) I doubt many railroads employed a "Thru train inspection yard" (TTIY) . In the days when there was a lot of passenger traffic, and the TTIY would have been necessary, there were very few thru trains; almost all trains went into the yard. In later, days, passenger traffic was considerably less, and TTIY was accomplished on the main track. This is what the RI did at Silvis yard with those thru trains which required inspection (not all did at Silvis); the carmen inspected the thru train on the main track, gave the high ball when they were finished, and sent the train on its way.

2) Although I don't imagine that your sketch should be considered as proportional, your departure yard is larger than it needs to be given the size of the receiving and classification yards. Letting a made up train sit long enough to require that many departure tracks would be a sure way for a yardmaster to have to go back to clerking or switching.

ns

I am sorry if I have offended you, but not all army information was shared by the Army. You may remember Christopher Manning whom gave a lot of information to Wiki Leaks. He is now serving time in Leavenworth. I admit that the above FM is available for public distribution. It is just that I don't want to see a site I enjoy closed because of a mistake. Besides I have seen sillier things classified or even higher just because it embarrasses some one, so I always check.

Well seeing as how this thread is about yard design, here's a screenshot of what I'm currently working on. The yard will be a division point, and will be a interchange yard as well. The tracks on the left are the class tracks, while the four tracks on the right are the A/D tracks. The two short sidings in the middle are the caboose tracks. Where the shop building is will be the car repair area. As you can tell the loco service area is set up so that trains moving in either direction can be serviced easily.

To layout the yard and switches I used the guides that were created by stationmistress. Very helpful.

oh and the track that goes off to the right around the roundhouse is the bypass track.

And If anyone has suggestions to improve this yard I'm open as well.

vonhammer_87_20140509_0000.jpg

vonhammer_87_20140509_0001.jpg

vonhammer_87_20140509_0006.jpg

I like that yard, as it has incoming receiving tracks from both directions, classification tracks from both directions, and departure tracks for both directions, as well as connecting tracks between the middle of each yard(s), and an engine/carshop facility.

Track work is tightly spaced (@ 4m track spacing) with no vast wasted space between tracks.

Trackwork is smooth flowing (not ridiculous over/under sized switch's) with nicely laid turnouts :cool:

Looks like a real prototype yard (not a fictional rediculous looking model train set yard).

Is that a real place ?

All it needs is a few more connecting cross overs (in both directions, to allow more access, and car sorting, from both directions, and possibly elongate some of those tracks in the middle, and make switch's look more crowded together.

Last edited:
Why thanks for the comments. Using the turnout and ladder guides really help in creating prototypical-looking yard ladders and turnouts. Below are some updated pictures. Oh and this yard is completely freelanced, not based off anything in particular.
In the updated version, the car repair area is pretty much complete except of course for the texturing and what not. I did take some ideas from decrim's PH&D 1984 route and the way the Grand Trunk car shops were laid out.

I also added a icing platform for refeers, as well as two clean out tracks. I'm considering adding a live-stock servicing area as well..

vonhammer_87_20140509_0010.jpg

vonhammer_87_20140509_0009.jpg

vonhammer_87_20140509_0011.jpg

The only thing I would suggest is make sure the drill track on each end is as long as the longest yard track so if you need to pull a full track, you can do it in one move.
Since we are posting screen shots, here is the Soo Line Schiller Park Yard.

Dap_20130924_0001.jpgDap_20131107_0000.jpg

David

Last edited:
I only see one sub yard. I don't see it coming from one direction. I was trying to do a carbon copy but I got confused. What's the name of that building in the first screenshot on the right? I think that would be a useful asset.

Kris,
Suggestions:
1: add connection track between receiving and line to servicing and car repair, that way a lok can get serviced and clean out the car repair yard while the classification yard is being served.
2: make sure you have an adequate drill track at the far end of the departure yard for trains heading in the opposite direction, highly unlikely they would have added a balloon track. Ditto for inbound.
3: add a small random yard, at least 2 tracks, out of the way to act as storage. MoW, scrap, cars held for claims dept, stuff like that accumulates. I'd say south of the classification, connected to inbound on far south track.

Every yard has its drawbacks, but only the largest and craziest can accommodate every random happenstance.

Kris,
Suggestions:
1: add connection track between receiving and line to servicing and car repair, that way a lok can get serviced and clean out the car repair yard while the classification yard is being served.
2: make sure you have an adequate drill track at the far end of the departure yard for trains heading in the opposite direction, highly unlikely they would have added a balloon track. Ditto for inbound.
3: add a small random yard, at least 2 tracks, out of the way to act as storage. MoW, scrap, cars held for claims dept, stuff like that accumulates. I'd say south of the classification, connected to inbound on far south track.

Every yard has its drawbacks, but only the largest and craziest can accommodate every random happenstance.

What's a drill track? Is that an asset or what? I was thinking for my yard is to have a receiving and a departure yard next to each other to serve trains in both directions, in the middle the classification yard which is in an west-east direction. Then when the yards end have three tracks and six in total while having crossovers and having the servicing and repair shops facing north and the backup tracks to the south. I'll draw another diagram so you can see clearly.

I am sorry if I have offended you, but not all army information was shared by the Army. You may remember Christopher Manning whom gave a lot of information to Wiki Leaks. He is now serving time in Leavenworth. I admit that the above FM is available for public distribution. It is just that I don't want to see a site I enjoy closed because of a mistake. Besides I have seen sillier things classified or even higher just because it embarrasses some one, so I always check.

I wasn't offended, I was saying the same thing you were sharing and PFC Manning released classified information. I doubt a railroad operation would be considered sensitive but you never know. I take it that you're in the Army.

I prefer flat switching yards, easier to configure and I don't think we have the assets on Trainz to assemble an actual working hump yard.

I wasn't offended, I was saying the same thing you were sharing and PFC Manning released classified information. I doubt a railroad operation would be considered sensitive but you never know. I take it that you're in the Army.

Yes I am. I have enjoyed 16yrs of service and hope to finish up with a retirement in a few more years. I just wish I had known about the Army railway MOS before I joined :)

Back