Computer Upgrade and Backup Question

Conrail45

Good enough
Hello,

I am having a relative upgrade my computer, and I'm having some concerns. I am hoping to rebuild it to the TS2010 recommended specs, and I'm also getting windows 7. I was wondering if this was right for such things as jointedrail's products. I know their products are very detailed and I wanted to know if those specs could handle them. If there is a better system needed, then please let me know.

Also, I am going to backup my copy of TRS2006, and I was wondering, I know I have to save a copy of the local file, but was that it? No other files needed?

Thanks to all who reply,
Conrail45

Hello,

I am having a relative upgrade my computer, and I'm having some concerns. I am hoping to rebuild it to the TS2010 recommended specs, and I'm also getting windows 7. I was wondering if this was right for such things as jointedrail's products. I know their products are very detailed and I wanted to know if those specs could handle them. If there is a better system needed, then please let me know.

Also, I am going to backup my copy of TRS2006, and I was wondering, I know I have to save a copy of the local file, but was that it? No other files needed?

Thanks to all who reply,
Conrail45

Stick with XP, if possible, which is no problem. Personally, I'd get XP-64 over W7 Ultimate, if cost is a factor. Learn how to fine-tune your system and you'll be running a lean-an'-mean rig!

Most products, video cards etc. have solid drivers for Win 7 since its a recent high volume product, XP 64 bit was never very popular and getting solid drivers might be an issue especially for recent video cards etc.

Also SSDs have better support under Win 7 and they are nice if only to boot up from.

Cheerio John

The only problem I've had with XP-64 (knock on wood) is getting Firefox to run. I'm also assuming the OP is considering a 64-bit OS; if not, XP-32 runs TS2010 very well and Trainz is large address-aware so the /3Gb option will help. I can't say much about SSDs, though based on another thread in this forum, it sounds like they aren't worth the money right now versus a Raptor, though I would like what a boot from one is like.

@Conrail45-We'd need more detailed specs as to what is going in your new machine to make a determination. However, a quad-core and a decent graphics card should run TS2010 well. As for the backup, I don't know, I don't run TRS2006, but there was something in the June (I think) Trainz Community News about backups.

Well, I'm not much of a computer expert, so I don't know if there are other components I should get, but I am hoping to upgrade to:

-2GB RAM (I seriously doubt my current 512MB RAM will be enough)
-Core 2 Duo or equivalent (You guys might have a better one to get)
-nVidia Geforce 8600 or equivalent (Once again there may be a better one)

I would like to know how I can see what kind of video car, sound card, etc. I have now (I remember something is in the control panel, but that's all) I am hoping to be able to upgrade by Christmas, and cost is kind of a factor, so I can't have a supercomputer, although I would love it. I would like to be able to run Dermmy's routes, and jointedrail's trains, so If these specs are not enough, please tell me.

Thanks,
Conrail45

The CPU is of primary importance. I'd try to get a quad-core something. That's a bit over $150 if you're sticking with Intel. I'd get more memory too - at least 4 Gb. The video card selection is ok. But the price issue is another reason why you probably would want to avoid getting Windows 7; you could use your existing hard drive and maybe your existing copy of XP. You will get much more mileage spending that money on hotter hardware.

One other thing to check: See if your hard drive is Serial ATA (SATA). It will have a half-inch wide cable going to the motherboard. If it's got a two-inch-wide (40-pin) cable, it's not SATA, it's IDE. If it's not SATA I'd seriously consider getting a new hard drive and new motherboard that supports the current version of SATA, SATA-II.

Your current motherboard will limit your cpu choice unless you throw it out. Do you know what it is? Belarc adviser might help to determine this.

If you are penny pinching staying with your current motherboard probably means you don't need to buy a new copy of the operating system.

3 gigs with 32 bit XP and the /whatever or 4 to 6 gigs with a 64 bit operating system would be my choice. Preference being 4+ gigs with a 64 bit operating sytem such as Win 7. Look for an upgrade version?

When running TS2010 only uses two cores, CMP uses more, I've seen it use all 4 of my cores and the 4 hyperthreading cores as well.

Check the power supply is it big enough? I tend to favour something like an APC UPS, it reduces software errors as well as protecting the hardware.

Cheerio John

Yes I will be getting a new power supply. I am pretty much gutting my current computer, and placing new components in it, so I will be sure to get a motherboard that supports SATA-II. I was wondering if something like a tri-core (I believe they have them) would work with cmp. I'm not sure if I could afford a quad-core.

Thanks,
Conrail45

Go on over to Tigerdirect.com and look along the left for "Barebone kits". Select sort by price low to high. That'll give you a sense of what you can get for x amount of dollars. Along the bottom you can refine your search to just Intel-based kits, etc. Beware of actually buying a barebone because they usually have underpowered power supplies. But, you'll have a starting point. Also, you may want to look at getting an AMD-based machine. Though AMD's performance is generally lesser than that of equivalent Intel chips, they're also cheaper too. I don't know much about AMD and don't build with them though, so I don't know what is the best motherboard chipset with which to build.

ETA: A true quad-core Intel chip will probably run about $70-100 over most of the dual-core models. But I see some i3-based systems. i3 is dual-core but also supports hyperthreading, so it's sort of a quasi-quad-core.

Also, what's your budget anyway?

Last edited:
Ok, My father recently got a $1000.00 bonus at his work. So basically after taxes and the money for the other computer, I'm guessing about $500.00 would be the budget. Since I have a relative is a computer-programmer (He worked on the harrier simulator used in the Marine Core) I will be able to get the computer worked on without the cost of labor. So I'm not sure if this is enough or not.

Thanks,
Conrail45

Take a look at this one:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=6327550&CatId=333

I'm actually thinking of buying it, since I already have the OS and HDD. This is a true quad-core. It's probably going to be a little too much if you want to buy a new hard drive but it's something to think about if you can stretch things a bit. Note that I don't buy hard drives from Tigerdirect or any other OEM hard drives and only buy Retail Boxed anymore. OEM means it's just the drive only, not sold in a box, no cables, manual, etc. I suspect a lot of retailers who sell OEM drive sell counterfeits, customer returns/refurbs, or just plain bottom-of-the-barrel units. Meaning, if you were to get a new SATA-II drive, expect that to add $100 onto the price, not the $50-$60 prices you'll see around the net which are really for OEM units.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=6711471&CatId=333

Here's an i3-based system. It's even got a decent power supply, though a little below what I'd pick (I prefer 750w or above.) You should come in around $500 with a new HDD from Best Buy and a cheap graphics card. Note that you can get a decent graphics card for ~$30 nowadays. It should support PCIe v2.0.

Oooh, here's a good deal on a video card (though, like all rebate crap, don't count on getting a rebate from Tigerdirect):

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=5677107&CatId=3585

Oh, one other thing: If you want the best performance from your machine, it should run offline. Meaning, you don't have it hooked up to the internet (temporarily, just for download from the DLS is okay, as long as you physically remove the cable when done) or your router and it should not have anti-virus software installed. It operates as a standalone. The internet connection itself reduces performance, never mind what anti-virus software does. You'd use your existing machine for general internet, using a KVM switch if you want to share a common monitor, keyboard and mouse. One of the (many) reasons I recommend against Windows 7 (or Vista) is that running offline is not an option as they need to connect to the net for copy-protection reasons. This is antithetical to the needs of performance as well as security.

Last edited:
Wow, I certainly like this! These both work together (I see the little warning about making sure the motherboard works with the video cards) Also, I would like to know what an HDD is (OS is operating system right?) I'm sorry if I'm asking obvious questions, but I've never truly been involved in computer components. I think I'm getting a little confused on all the choices out there. Hehe, Thank you,
Conrail45

Also, I will probably use the tower case I have now. I may not buy these things, due to the fact I've never heard of them before, nor do I feel completely comfortable buying such large purchases online.

Last edited:
Wow, I certainly like this! These both work together (I see the little warning about making sure the motherboard works with the video cards) Also, I would like to know what an HDD is (OS is operating system right?) I'm sorry if I'm asking obvious questions, but I've never truly been involved in computer components. I think I'm getting a little confused on all the choices out there. Hehe, Thank you,
Conrail45

Also, I will probably use the tower case I have now. I may not buy these things, due to the fact I've never heard of them before, nor do I feel completely comfortable buying such large purchases online.

HDD means Hard Disk Drive. You're right, OS is Operating System. You might be able to save a bit reusing your existing case, maybe enough to get the i5. I can only think of two things you MIGHT need: 1. Although the CPU fan has thermal paste on it (this helps transfer the heat from the CPU chip to the cooler) I like to add a tiny bit more. When I say more, I mean a bead maybe the size of a very small pea. I use OCZ Silver Thermal Paste. This costs $8.00. Second, a lot of people overclock (meaning pushing the CPU and/or memory past their advertised speed rating.) I personally don't bother since it can cause instability and it's not worth it to me, but if you want to try this, I'd recommend getting a better cooler (more speed = more heat) than the stock fan that comes with the CPU. This, of course, is an extra cost and there is a learning curve to it, because if you push a machine too hard, you can really mess it up.

As far as buying online, I've bought from Tigerdirect dozens of times. They're very reliable - I have never not gotten something, and only once had something that was "not as advertised", a $5 SATA cable - and they have a good return policy. You can always phone in your order too, just make up a list of what you want.

One other thing: If I were buying the i5 kit I'd buy this mobo (motherboard) instead, partly because of Gigabyte's reputation and because it is forward compatible with the upcoming USB 3.0 and Sata-III:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=6076254&CatId=4725

But it doesn't appear to support the i3. And it costs more.

Oh, and if you are reusing your case, make sure it has fans in the front AND back. Old cases may not cool adequately for modern designs. Keeping modern computers cool is a huge issue. Personally, I'd spend the $50 for a decent case, unless you know yours is modern.

Last edited:
Ok, I see. It seems a lot for running a game, but I really need an upgrade. I will not be anywhere near the building process, as this relative lives in Washington, I believe. I will be giving him a list, and he will buy the parts and put the computer together, only charging us for the parts. I don't want to overclock, as you said, it causes instability. I am getting these things, and I want to know if this is all I need (since this is a list I'm giving to the relative):

-Motherboard
-Power supply
-Video card
-More RAM
-processor (preferably i5)
-Memory upgrade 4GB

Would that be all?

Thanks,
Conrail45

Well, as for memory "upgrade", you will not be reusing your current memory. i3/i5 boards make use of newer DDR3 memory, whereas older machines use DDR2 or the even older DDR. They are not compatible. And, if your memory is really 512Mb I don't think many newer motherboards will even take it even if it is the right DDR type. Just plan on 4Gb of DDR3, as in your last item.

That said, I see you left the HDD out, so I'm assuming you are keeping your existing one and it is SATA? It could be an older, Sata-I compliant drive. You'd get a performance boost buying a new one (Sata-II) though I think that might be the last of your worries at the moment. I'd have to know the exact drive model to even start to figure out what you have already. If you don't know offhand, download and install Belarc Advisor; it'll tell you the model of your drive.

Also, what about your CD/DVD drive? I'm assuming you are going to reuse that. But at $25-$35 for a new one, check to be sure it's worth sending to your relative. I can tell you if the drive you have is even worth keeping (there are lots of crap drives out there) and suitable replacements just by knowing the make and model number.

Well, that aside, your list is complete. Give your relative a list with direct link to each product you want to order and that's about it, he'll just add everything to your order cart and you'll be fine. But I suggest building up an exact order list and posting it here just to be sure you've got the right components and that they're all compatible with each other, perhaps using the barebones kits as a guide.

Oh, ask your relative about the case thing too. Again, cooling is important. Plus, the cost of shipping it to him might be competitive with the cost of getting a new, better one.

Ok, I guess I'll be getting a new i5 board, which is quad-core, correct? As for the SATA wires, are they visible without removing any parts, because I have never taken apart a computer before, and I really do not want to accidentally screw something up. I truthfully don't have any idea of the components to my computer other that what I've previously stated. I will see about downloading the Belarc Advisor, but my internet is not the best, so sometimes it goes down when I try to download things (thread I started before) Also, I am hoping to reuse my CD/DVD drives, which is the only part I'll be reusing, but it is an old computer, so I might need to get a more modern one for the cooling. I am feeling a little overwhelmed at the moment, all the parts that go into a computer, hehe. I don't know, but I'm wondering if my relative would be able to figure these things out (I have no idea the extent of his knowledge of computers, but I figure it must be great)
Thanks,
Conrail45

Don't feel too overwhelmed. I'm trying to spare you that anxiety when you just want to push your budget a little further...then a little further...then a little more...

Yeah, try Belarc Advisor and post back here. That'll help eliminate a big variable in this case to know what you already have.

The case may make a big difference, but it's not a lot. I've used the case Tigerdirect is selling and forgot that it doesn't come with fans, so that'll be another $16 (2 fans x $8 each.)

Ok, after a restar (internet gave out, hehe) I got this (I don't know how much you need, so I'll give you some basics:

Operating System:
Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3 (build 2600)
Install Language: English (United States)
System Locale: English (United States)

System Model:
Dell Computer Corporation Dimension 8300
System Service Tag: 1ZMRF31 (support for this PC)
Chassis Serial Number: 1ZMRF31
Enclosure Type: Mini-Tower

Processor:
2.60 gigahertz Intel Pentium 4
8 kilobyte primary memory cache
512 kilobyte secondary memory cache
Not hyper-threaded

Main Circuit Board:
Board: Dell Computer Corp. 0M2035
Serial Number: ..CN4811137H005S.
Bus Clock: 800 megahertz
BIOS: Dell Computer Corporation A02 07/21/2003

Drives:
80.00 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
30.38 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

_NEC DVD+RW ND-1100A [Optical drive]
LITEON DVD-ROM LTD163 [Optical drive]
3.5" format removeable media [Floppy drive]

ST380011A [Hard drive] (80.00 GB) -- drive 0, s/n 3JV4WCN1, rev 3.16, SMART Status: Healthy

Display:
NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 440 with AGP8X [Display adapter]
DELL E773c [Monitor] (15.7"vis, s/n 6418037M34PY, July 2003)

I hope this is information you need, Thank you
Conrail45

Back