Class 170 DMU ?

sfinlay

Title says it all.
I'm looking for a class 170 DMU but can't locate any in CM
I'm pretty sure I had one before, long since lost after an HD crash but can't remember where I downloaded it from ?
Thank you.

If you mean the Turbostar, there isn't one anymore, the only version having been available being offered as payware. The vendor shut his site and no longer deals with Trainz so unless you can find your original, you're out of luck I'm afraid.

Hi I have the turbostar class 170 from the now shut railwaves website , if there is any way I could send a copy to you, please let me know. I do not know if I am allowed to do this, but if the railwaves site is shut down it might be okay to do so, can anybody on the forum advise me if this okay to do this. Thank you.

Mallard 2007

It is a form of piracy to distribute assets that you did not create without permission from the original creator.

Shane

Hi Shane. Thaks for your email, I have tried to find and get in touch with railwaves, to ask permission, but no luck, so I will take your advice and forget about the whole thing, you are right about the piracy thing, I should have thought about that before making the offer. Thanks for putting me right.

Mallard 2007

No problem. You may be able to get in touch with either snowsignal or akw via other methods though - check their profiles. I've got to contact them anyway regarding something else.

Shane

Shane,

I tried to buy the 170 from them a while ago but they had closed their site for new purchases. I think it is a pity that one of the most common trains used in the UK is not available anywhere. Perhaps, if they have no more use for it, they could consider making the mesh available for others to use in a re-build or re-skin?

Scottish

Interesting thinking there. I'd personally prefer if it became freeware. Peter Hicks had one in development a few years ago, but did not finish it.

As for reskins, I've got a couple of personal reskins.

Unfortunately, I haven't seen either snowsignal or akw on here for a while, so contacting them will be futile.

Shane

Hi Shane,

The last entry in Peter Hicks website about the 170 is in 2007. This is 5 years ago so I think the project is probably dead.

Like you, I feel that it would be preferable if a freeware model was available.

Most things have a natural lifespan and the only way of dealing with this is to let the work die completely, or benefit others by donating for posterity. Many non-active creators have given away their mesh in return for an acknowledgement when it is used in a new asset.

You are better know in the trainz world than me, and requesting them to donate the meshes would probably cause less offence if it came from you than from me, a stranger. Also you have the meshes in your possession already.

I would be happy to create a new asset for the DLS (and I am sure that others would also) if we had the meshes.

Scottish

Indeed - if I can get the required contact details, I can have a try. Even then, akw and snowsignal may not know me.

Shane

There is hope! if you head over to the British Trainz forum, you will see that a lot of ex rail waves content is being created. Plus nexusdj has one in the making, and he's been rattling off loads of content recently including the first of his new HST sets.

The only rail waves content currently being/been made is the class 56 and 57, but a 170 should appear at some point and nexus definitely said his Turbostar will be released at some point.

That's good, as I could do with a LM liveried Turbostar, as my reskin skills are not very good.

Shane

EDIT: Nexusdj's Turbostar is probably going to be a Class 172, from what he's said previously.

Last edited:
class 357 and 170

Hi I have the turbostar class 170 from the now shut railwaves website , if there is any way I could send a copy to you, please let me know. I do not know if I am allowed to do this, but if the railwaves site is shut down it might be okay to do so, can anybody on the forum advise me if this okay to do this. Thank you.

Mallard 2007
Could you send a class 357 or 170 to me please.

trennie - it is against forum rules (and potentially against the law) for members to send content that does not belong to them without the content creator's permission.

Shane

Oh ok I did not know that.
Now I wish I bought the game before The website closed

Last edited:
I've toyed around with the possibility of creating some british content from time to time, but it just don't have enough experience yet to attempt one. I must say that my recent trip to london led me to fall in love with some of the DMUs and EMUs there, as the FRA guidelines here in the US essentially eliminate DMUs from regular service.

But before I can make any promises, I still have a Silverliner V and Melbourne W2 to finish with Irashyd

Cheers

Back