Buy From simulator Central, i wish i had not

Thanks for that Shane answers my question. Not that it bothers me but for the fact of I had numerous failures on downloading Ts10. Just getting the jitters when to download to ensure a healthy connection.

One thing N3V have stated is not to use a download manager. This is probably due to the limited attempts.

Using a web browser like Google Chrome may help though.

Shane

Thanks for all your help Shane, I don't use any download manager anymore. It's just my area is prone to loosing connection to the internet (Kingston Upon Hull Communications YUK!) Cannot change providers as this area is unique to this service. There are certain areas within the city you can request to be wired up BT but cost a fortune.

Snip....Good Evening All
We are aware of an issue where serial numbers aren't being issued with some paypal payments, due to an issue with paypal confirming the payments. We are looking into this, however we have not yet been able to resolve this issue with paypal. I have issued the serial number to your order for you, and you should receive an email with this. If you don't receive this, then you can also access the serial number by logging into the simulator central website, then going to 'my account', then click on 'my serial numbers' on the left hand menu.

One problem could be when paying online via PayPal, if one has a DEBIT Card instead a CREDIT Card to pay with. I do have a proper credit card, my brother has only a debit card. If he buys anything online on a weekends for example (and I presume on other days as well), he gets a message from his bank here in Australia that funds will be transferred within 24 hours to PayPal. Perhaps this is what slows down the finishing of the PayPal transaction?

Just a thought?

Unfortunately, it is not currently possible, or viable, for us to provide 24/7 support, as we are a relatively small company.

But the powers that be could still monitor the Trainz Forum and Simulator Central and other web pages to see if all is running smoothly. In the immediate past and even further back in the past it took OFTEN a couple of days or longer for N3V Games to respond when such issues happened. I remember distinctly one instance of forum web pages troubles in the not too distant past where we were told in the forum, the person responsible for fixing this is overseas at that time, hence it will be some time to get this issue sorted out. Nowadays, with remote control or logging into the web sites affected for such person responsible (with such rights to change and fix web pages) to fix such issues can be done from ANYWHERE in the world, only a simple internet connection is needed to do and fix this.

Cheers

VinnyBarb

I use a Debit card and never had a holdup, always cleared immediately,
Cheers,
Mike

Well that would work except for those of us who have ever worked in computer security are very reluctant to use anything other than PAYPAL or possibly Amazon. You know that the lower levels of SSL have basically been cracked so anything you typed in that went to the web site could be copied on the way across the net? A surprisingly large number of Internet servers haven't had their security patches kept up to date.

I opened a bank account a year or two back and it was a fairly experienced banker "Would you like Internet banking?" "I've worked in computer security." "Say no more, for some reason those who have just don't want Internet banking."

It is a lot more difficult to get a fraudulent transaction rescinded on a debit card than a credit card by the way.

Cheerio John

Good Morning Vinnybarb
Some of us do monitor the forums outside of business hours, but this depends on what is happening at the time. Myself, I volunteer at a local heritage railway, so some weekends I'm unable to log into the forums at all. Other weekends I log in several times each day. Chris (WindWalkr) also checks the forums when he is able too, as do other staff members.

That said, where technical issues do occur, sometimes it can take a while. If a staff member is outside of the office, without a suitable device to access the servers, then he won't be able to do any work to them. So as to ensure security, we do lock specific parts of our website, which means that using an 'external' connection is not always possible.

Again, if you ever experience issues with an order, please contact us via the contact/helpdesk links on the appropriate website, and we will be able to look into it for you.

For Selector, I have issued the serial number to your order, and you should receive an email with this. If you don't receive this, then you can also access the serial number by logging into the simulator central website, then going to 'my account', then click on 'my serial numbers' on the left hand menu.

Regards

I use the Debit card through Paypal only. It is a special account and only transfer the amount needed to make the purchase.
Cheers,
Mike

Man I am glad I found this thread! I am having the same damn issue with SimulatorCentral.com! First let me clarify that using a visa card doesn't always work because of the currency issues. Sometimes the card will decline it because it doesn't understand the currency being billed. So I also used Paypal for the purchase and YES I checked to make sure the payment transaction was complete. When the order went through I also got an email from SC saying your download is ready and that your serial # is 'Serial number issued when payment received'. So wondering why I didn't have my SN when paypal said the transaction was complete I found a Auran KB article that said give it up to 24 hours for the payment to go through. So 24 hours later and with still no SN, I created a Help Desk Ticket at SC. And now another 24 hours later and my Help Desk ticket is sitting at 'unassigned'. At this point I am pretty frustrated at 2 days with no serial number so I try support.trainzportal.com. This is the funny part, even though I log in with the same username and pw that gets me into SC, Trainzportal shows me not having any open tickets. OK so I think I'll open one here... Well I challenge any of you to go to the Trainzportal Support and try to open a new ticket. The button says 'Ticket Submission' but all you can do is walk through their steps and then get told to contact support if it doesn't work.. with no way of actually doing that. So at this moment I'm more than a bit ticked. Somebody said 'Its the weekend' but BS, its actually monday night in Aus right now and somebody there had a full day to check their GD help tickets. Sorry Zec but I'm not feeling all that confident in your ability to actually monitor the help desk at the 'appropriate websites' to provide me with the support I need.

Now if somebody could please help me get my serial # that would be great!

SC Order #
SC Help Desk Ticket: XMI-287-93499

Hi,

I'm also having this issue.I payed with paypal on Friday and payment is confirmed but i still not receiving my serial number.

Order:#100026459
Ticket ID for this: OGE-659-64267

Cheers, Massimo.

Hi everybody.
~snip~Good Evening All
We are aware of an issue where serial numbers aren't being issued with some paypal payments, due to an issue with paypal confirming the payments. We are looking into this, however we have not yet been able to resolve this issue with paypal~snip~

First of all can I thank Zec for breaking his weekend off to deal with my/our problems in purchasing trainz 12. Can I also apologise for not replying earlier as I became otherwise engaged yesterday (15 September 2013)

However Zecs posting brings forward a further question. Simulator central are having an on-going problem with PayPal confirming payments, why then are customers still being allowed to make payments through them. N3V must be aware that those customers will be paying in reality for nothing whatsoever when the serial numbers are not being issued. There is surely very questionable “commercial ethics” involved here in allowing the foregoing to carry on.

To use an analogy for the above, a member of this forum walks into a shop and then proceeds to the till and states they wish to pay by card for the item(s) they wanted. The assistant scans the items through the till and the forum member puts is card into the reader, enters his pin number which is accepted and to him the items have been paid for. However, the shop assistant refuses then to give our forum member the items stating “you cannot have these goods until I receive an absolute guarantee that the money is in the company’s bank account”. You will have to come back and collect them in a day or two.

I believe that every forum member would find the above totally unacceptable, and yet that is what I believe Simulator Central (N3V) are asking us as product buyers, users and forum members to accept. Surely the very least that can be done is to warn customers during the card buying procedure that using PayPal will mean that their purchase will be unusable for a minimum of 24 to 48 hours and that only after a ticket is placed on the helpdesk.

Bill

Last edited:
Zec,
I have come across the same issue related to paypal not sending Serial numbers. I also paid for this on the 15th of September. Please help I am very exited to check out Trainz 12. Thank you and let me know if ther is anything you need from me.

100026864 15/09/13 $9.97 Complete

Hi everybody.
...snip...

To use an analogy for the above, a member of this forum walks into a shop and then proceeds to the till and states they wish to pay by card for the item(s) they wanted. The assistant scans the items through the till and the forum member puts is card into the reader, enters his pin number which is accepted and to him the items have been paid for. However, the shop assistant refuses then to give our forum member the items stating “you cannot have these goods until I receive an absolute guarantee that the money is in the company’s bank account”. You will have to come back and collect them in a day or two.

I believe that every forum member would find the above totally unacceptable, and yet that is what I believe Simulator Central (N3V) are asking us as product buyers, users and forum members to accept. Surely the very least that can be done is to warn customers during the card buying procedure that using PayPal will mean that their purchase will be unusable for a minimum of 24 to 48 hours and that only after a ticket is placed on the helpdesk.

Bill

Your analogy is a bit off, to say the least, and I think part of your angst is caused by how you do not understand how PayPal works.

A better analogy for PayPal would be to imagine going down the Pub, and giving "Henry" your debit card. Henry runs your card through HIS till, gives you a reciept and says "transaction complete, I promise to forward your payment to XYZ". Henry at the Pub then sends an email to XYZ saying that you payed for your item, and that he will forward the funds. That's all fine and good for you and "Henry", but XYZ has a history with Henry, and knows that Henry does not always abid by his word and make timely payments on behalf of HIS customers. XYZ also knows that Henry has a bit of "Muscle", and often times send them round to collect debts that are not legitimate or confirmed, such as when a customer gets their kit, then crys "foul". In less dramatic circumstances, sometimes Henry's email just never makes in out to XYZ as intended.

As for N3V being OBLIGATED to tell you that using a 3rd Party (PayPal) to process the transaction may cause some delay in your instant gratification, well, No They have no obligation to you, or anyone else. If you read YOUR PayPal Terms of Service, you would then KNOW that all is disclosed as it should be, from the source which it should be.
-I also bet that you might change your feeling on the security of PayPal if you read their TOS thoroughly.

When PayPal says "Transaction Complete", they are not speaking for N3V, they are saying; "Confirmed your request to transfer money...processing will take place as we see fit". Your "transaction" was the process of telling PayPal what you wanted to do, and that was completed. PayPal's "transaction" is with N3V, and funds will be transfered sometime in the next 48 hours, when the exchange rate is optimum for PayPal.
--Yeah, that's something PayPAl will NOT tell you...They charge you immediatly at one exchange rate, but then wait for the rate to drop a bit before converting and paying the recipient...making a few pennys, ten-thousand times a day.

All that said, and FWIW, I do use PayPal, to both send and recieve payments...been pretty lucky so far, a few hickups with bad customers, but nothing major.
-My expectations are realistic, so I don't get disappointed. (I don't like them, but sometimes it is nessasary).

Besides, isn't 36-48 hours still better than the 10 days for Boxed delievery?

Last edited:
Conrail.. This was a very well thought out post and what you said probably makes alot of sense and is probably true. I think my biggest frustration right now though isn't really with the lack of serial number, its with the lack of communication on Auran's part. Somebody there had a whole business day to answer that Help Desk ticket, even if it was with a 'I'll get back to you with an answer' or a 'sorry about the delay, we are swamped' or even a 'Hey not our fault Paypal sucks!'. Just something to acknowledge me as their customer but to check a ticket a day later and see that it wasn't even looked at.. For that there is no excuse..

Hi Dymod,

Thanks for letting us know how you feel about the Helpdesk. We'll look into seeing if we can streamline how we first respond to tickets, so that other people like you in the future don't feel left out in the cold. Please know, that you will get your serial number very shortly, and that due to the high volume of this happening we have enough cases to show as examples to PayPal, and we're working on a Solution to stop this from happening.

Thanx.. Still nothing on the SC end.. either with the SN or the ticket.. but I'll take the acknowledgement that something is going happening on your end.

HI KingConrail76 and everybody

KingConrail76, thank you for your above detailed explanation and analogy 3 postngs above on the workings between PayPal and their suppliers and customers. However, in all honesty and with all due respect I am not really interested. N3V are in the same position as all other businesses who have to decide whether they wish to accept PayPal’s terms, conditions and trading ethics or not. If they do not wish to accept them then they can do as many other businesses do and not accept payment from customers through that channel.

I was on Saturday (15 September) a customer of simulator central (N3V) and declared my intention as normal to pay through PayPal. All I wished for was satisfactory service as I have received from many of other companies when using PayPal. I did not wish to be involved in any on-going argument or dispute between the two organisations and possibly be used as a pawn in that. I have a debit card and two credit cards which I could have used as an alternative to PayPal, but like millions of others I always use PayPal when the opportunity is available for security reasons (and incidentally PayPal has never charged me anything for any transaction).

As stated, in their responses to this thread N3V have advised that they have a problem with PayPal which they seem to have been aware of for some time. With the foregoing in mind it would seem to me that simulator central may not have any legal obligation to inform me of possible delays in processing my order and sending the serial numbers, but as a customer of theirs I believe they have a very strong ethical and commercial obligation to inform me of such, or remove the PayPal method of payment from their website.

With regard to your words KingConrail76 on my “instant gratification” well, with retirement less than two weeks away and my seventieth birthday forthcoming in the next few weeks, I can honestly say that at my age I do not expect to get instant gratification in anything. Although thinking about it, there are a couple of things I would like to get quicker gratification from, or any gratification at all. (LOL)

You state that 36 - 48 hours waiting for the problem to be resolved is better than waiting 10 days for the boxed version to arrive. Well, having lived the prescribed “three score years and ten” two days could possibly be a considerable chunk of the time I have left. (LOL again). Therefore waiting 10 days for the boxed version to arrive as suggested would certainly for me be out of the question, and any organisation quoting such delivery times will certainly not get my order

Bill

Last edited:
Your payments will go through a lot quicker when using Paypal if you have two accounts that are verified ie; ATM, credit of checking. Your ATM is usually connected to your checking account. I have never had problems with Paypal and I have been with them since day 1, and have used it for all of my Tranz purchases from Simulator Central with out a glitch.

John

Last edited:
There is always an alternative:

At your bank get a debit/credit card under a new account, and only keep $100 or so in there, and keep replenishing it every so often, just enough to keep the account active ... that way nobody can take you to the bank, by hacking into your credit card account, or skimming your wallet from right inside your pants pocket (which does happen).

Say you go out to a fancy restaurant ... are you going to pay with PayPal ?

Last edited:
Back