Bug: Warning about setting the Assets Palette filter to Filter Visibility

pware

Trainz Veteran
I have just found and reported a bug in both Trainz Plus and TRS22PE. The bug, which involves using the Filter Visibility setting in the S20 Assets Palette, will render all track objects (signals, speed signs, switches, etc) invisible when the filter is returned to Filter Selection or Filter List. The good news (at least) is that those objects have not been deleted and will be returned to visibility if the route is saved and then reloaded.

Edit: Even easier, I have since discovered that toggling the route-layer visibility control OFF then ON again also returns the hidden track objects to full view. The route-layer is where I always store all track objects.

ScreenShot 1: On a single blank baseboard add track, track objects and some basic scenery (a few bushes).

Filter-Bug01.jpg

ScreenShot 2: Assets Palette set to select Scenery Objects and filter set to Filter Visibility. Track and track objects vanish (as expected) leaving only the scenery objects (the bushes) visible.

Filter-Bug02.jpg

ScreenShot 3: Filter reset to Filter List (or to Filter Selection). All but the track objects are returned to the screen.

Filter-Bug03.jpg

If the route is saved as it is without the visible track objects and then reloaded into Surveyor, the missing track objects will be returned.

Bug reported.

Last edited:
I notice that in the third picture, the settings visible in the window have not all been returned to the settings in the first picture. Might this have something to do with the issue?

Thanks for the suggestion but no, resetting the asset selection to anything including All Content, makes no difference.

Some progress. On a wild hunch I tried the following:-

After returning the filter to Filter List with the track objects invisible, I toggled the route-layer visibility control from Show to Hide and back to Show again. Unexpectedly, all the missing track objects reappeared.

NOTE: This obviously assumes that the track and all track objects are in the route-layer

This has been added to my original bug report.

Indeed. As a programmer myself, I agree that they are *almost never* that simple. I have however had an occasional surprise where a bug fix actually was that simple. Still, very rare.

Hello,

No, it has not been repaired in my opinion. I am in beta 125409. When I set the Filter Visibility to Track Objects, everything disappears. O no, not true, a train remains in the empty landscape... ???

Furthermore I found that some track objects are not selectable when I set the filter to Filter Selection. Some objects on the track are selectable, while others on the same track are not, though they are visible. This concerns signals, speedboards, levers, anything.

Then suddenly, doing something in some menu, I found all my track splines disconnected from a fixed track asset with many attachment points...
A lot of Ctrl-Z solved that but it worried it me.

And I found that some track splines would not snap/join, while they joined flawlessly in Old Surveyor...

There is more.
I found that sometimes it is hard to select a fixed-track asset with internal pathways, e.g. a road1 { } table. When you move it, the internal spline may get disconnected.
And worse, when you pick it up at the (spline)endpoints, the mesh may get irreversibly deformed. The spline may even wrap around to the attachment point at the other side of the asset.
In classic Surveyor, no such horrors occur.

Regards,
Paul

No, it has not been repaired in my opinion. I am in beta 125409. When I set the Filter Visibility to Track Objects, everything disappears. O no, not true, a train remains in the empty landscape... ???
I just tested it again in build 125409 and I have to disagree with you, at least as far as my experiments went.

The original bug was that after selecting Filter Visibility, where everything except the selected objects or object types disappeared from view, returning the selection to Filter List made everything except the track objects (signals, speed signs, track marks, etc) reappear. This occurred even if the objects selected were not track or track objects.

In build 125409 the filters have been moved to a new palette, the Filter Palette, where you can select the object types (splines, track, scenery, etc) to be filtered. When I select, for example, the Spline icon and then set the filter to Filter Visibility everything except non-track splines vanish. Resetting the Filter to Filter Disabled or Filter List makes everything, including track objects reappear. This result was repeated each time I tested it. So the original bug as I described it above has been fixed.

In your specific example, where you have selected the Track Objects icon and then set the filter to Filter Visibility the track objects will disappear because the track that they are attached to is now invisible thus making the track objects invisible. This, at least in my experience, has always been the case (bug or not). The Track Objects icon is suited more to the Filter Selection option than the Filter Visibility option.

Furthermore I found that some track objects are not selectable when I set the filter to Filter Selection. Some objects on the track are selectable, while others on the same track are not, though they are visible. This concerns signals, speedboards, levers, anything.

Again, using my limited selection of track objects (signals, track marks, switches, speed signs, etc) I have been unable to recreate this issue. All my track objects are selectable.

One stupid question that I must ask is are you using the selection icons that are in the Filter Palette, and not those in the Asset Palette where the filters used to be located?

And I found that some track splines would not snap/join, while they joined flawlessly in Old Surveyor...

I have not observed this but I do recall some earlier posts about it. I also seem to recall that it has been reported as affecting some track assets but not others.

This is a beta version and will be full of problems - I have encountered a few myself. I would recommend that you report your observations in the Bug Reporting Form.

Thanks for the reply, pware.
I have found what I have found, reproducible or not. I have used the new Filter Palette, not the one for the asset listing.
After a fresh loading of the session, everything works as expected. It is just that after some time of tedious editing, things get worse. Or may get worse.
The only thing that worries me really, is the hazard of unintended deformation of road assets with internal spline paths when one tries to move them.

Edit:
The problem concerns composite splines, not buildables, as stated yesterday. The splines attach either to themselves end-to-end, or they connect with the base asset spline. I cannot split them at the spline point in Surveyor 2 (Separate Splines in the menu is greyed out), but in classic Surveyor I can. The spline may reposition itself within the asset, it has become disattached. It may become entirely disconnected from the base asset.
When elongating a composite spline, one should therefore hold the shift-key to prevent snapping.
In some tests, after some manipulation, I found the asset to have disappeared entirely!

Regards,
Paul

Last edited:
Back