On a budget. Two options

jeff1959

My 7+ year old computer needs replacing:
WIN 10 Pro, i5-2500, 16 GB RAM, 1TB HDD, 2TB EXT HDD, RADEON RX580

I have 2 options available to me:
WIN 11P, RYZEN 5 5600X3D, 32GB RAM DDR4, 1 TB SDD, RTX 4060
or
WIN11H, RYZEN 5 5600G, 16 GB DDR5, 512GB SDD, RTX 3060

I know there are better and faster CPUs and GPUs out there. But with my old machine unable to run YRS 22 Plus and acting like it's dying; I need to get what I can afford. I don't understand benchmarks between different CPU/GPU combinations.

I want to be able to run Trains22+ at medium to higher settings. Will either of these setups do that?

Thank you for your assistance.

Definitely the first one with 4060 and 32 gb ram. That will probably allow you to max out most of the settings at ultra (I use a 4070 mobile, which would be about eqiuvlanent or even slightly worse then a desktop 4060 and can get 60fps maxed out). The only thing I see better about the second is the DDR5, but it's not worth it with half the memory, half the storage, and a generation older GPU.

Last edited:
I couldn't say which of your choices might be the better but I run your second option be it with a non graphic 5600 CPU and 3060Ti GPU and it runs a dream. If this is a self build, here in the UK I would agree with others that if you shop around there is little in price between the 3000 and 4000 series GPUs. Peter

I think either would be satisfactory, but my concern is the 512 GB hard drive. I am thinking unless you are very conservative with routes and assets you will be wanting that Terabyte hard drive. I have over a terabyte of TRS19 and over a terabyte of T:ANE. But then I am a packrat and trying to figure out how to reduce.

Hi,
I’m running with an RTX 2060 x it’s capable of running Trainz plus (TRS22) using the equivalent settings to “high” of TS19. So the 3060 should be fine.
I‘d suggest adding as large a second SSD as you can afford and using this for as many programs and data as possible. Keep the 512ssd for Windows and its files.
that way you’ll get really fast boot times, and have the advantage of using a SSD for your Trainz (and the SSD for Trainz makes a big difference!).
Colin

Back