Any good railroad watching spots?

Robo7527

Alco or no go!
Hi guys me(and my family)are big on traveling and I love rail watching so any good rail spots(preference to USA if you ask)Pics are much appreciated.THNX

Check a hobby shop for a book on where there are good spots to railfan. If I remember right, Kalmback Publishing puts these out. They may even be in the Walthers catalog or Walthers online site. Hobby shops would usually let you look thru their copy to order about anything. Heck, just thought, you may be able to go to the Kalmback Publishing site. Take lots of pics, nice thing about the digital age, any pics you don't like, just delete. No wasted film!

You'd never be able to tell based on this board, but the Windy City is like the country's railroad capital - Tons of yards and busy junctions in and around the city, and 6 of the Class I railroads (UP, CP, CN, BNSF, CSX, NS) meet here, plus Amtrak, Metra (Diesel and Electric), The "L" and the country's last real interurban line (the CSS&SB).

Chicago is great, you can take Metra everywhere, you wont even need a car if you are just visiting. Alot of cool places out west that I have never been. My city, Atlanta is great too, but you need a car, I've done it using MARTA but it takes forever to get anywhere. If you just like seeing lots of trains Folkston, GA is for you, tons of trains but all CSX and all GE widecabs.
My favorite trainwatching location? Gothard Pass in Switzerland. Just sit at the top of the spirals and watch the trains come to you, excellent for photography and a great place to take the family too.

I'll tell you what, if your looking for a good class 1 railroad to watch, Come over to Harrisburg PA, Enola yard is emense and always beaming with activity. Many spots on Rt. 11/15 to watch.

I'll tell you what, if your looking for a good class 1 railroad to watch, Come over to Harrisburg PA, Enola yard is emense and always beaming with activity. Many spots on Rt. 11/15 to watch.
Oh ya I remember those yards I travel east coast a lot and just north of Pittsburgh there is a large Norfolk and Southern yard always crammed with almost every regularly used car imaginable and I95 goes over it!!

Back