Prototype Queston on USA rail flats, 1940s era, Armor movement

Hi all

I am not quite so bright on standard gauge wagons on USA rail systems of the early 1940's.
I have seen many pics on line of flats moving military hardware such as Grant and lee tanks. It appears they are generally moved on 70 ton flats like I have seen available at Jointed rails website. Am I correct on this SWAG? (swag + Silly wild A$#@ Guess) or is there a more correct wagon for this type of movement.

thank you in advance

A factor in the tank designs was that they be easily transportable by rail. I no longer have R. P. Hunnicutt's $100 giant book of about 6lb, 3kg, weight, on the history of US medium tanks which is titled SHERMAN although it additionally covers previous types and a few subsequent types. But books have mentioned that it was desired for US tanks be sized and of weights to be readily movable on typical common railroad flat cars.
And on what might be common flat cars found overseas.

Both the Army and manufacturers published technical documents on how to properly secure the tanks to the cars for movement. Reproductions are available from time to time.

Flat cars are easy to get tanks on and off of - you can load/unload from the end, circus wagon style.
Or you can have the civil engineers make a bank of earth/timber/concrete/stone alongside the track and load/unload sideways

NOTE: Shermans, and the prior M3 Lee/Grant types whose hull the Sherman's slightly longer hull was derived from, did not have a steering type which allowed pivoting in their own length, uhh, is the technical term for that 'neutral steer'?
They had to be moving either forward or reverse to steer.
I want to remember that the turning radius depended on which gear had been selected.

I've been out of military models and miniatures and historical games for a bit over a decade now & unused memory fades away after a time.

Last edited:
Back