A Special delta lady

Status
Not open for further replies.

lner

Playing TS2016.....
I have been pondering wether to post this thread on here or not as again its not rail related but I thought that some members of the comunitiy may appreciate it.

On Tuesday 6th May 2008 I went up to RAF Coningsby in Linconshire to see what was going on (a trip of 80 miles i might add) what a suprise was waiting at around four I looked up to see Avro Vulcan XH558 soaring overhead

DSCF1863.jpg

Then she disapeered for a few minutes only to reapeer at the other end of the runway wheels down on the circuit to land

DSCF1884.jpg

DSCF1886.jpg

DSCF1887.jpg

DSCF1898.jpg

DSCF1900.jpg

Then after a fabulous landing (not any tyre squeel at all) she taxied round to her dispersal for the next 2 nights.

DSCF1911.jpg

Notice the Eurofighter Typhoon behind the Vulcan

DSCF1918.jpg

all parked up and performing final checks

I stress this was a by chance meeting not a publisised occasion

The Concord no longer exists.
It was taken out of service some years ago I believe.

Great shots none the less! It is a rare occasion to see aircraft like that.:wave: :D

Cheers,
Adam

V for Vulcan

Now that is a Lady of the skies, second to the Super Marine Spitfire.. Tell you what lner, I think you should consider a career in photography. I have not seen Images with as much clarity and definition as that for a long time.:Y: :clap: :Y: :clap: :Y:

The Concord no longer exists.
It was taken out of service some years ago I believe.

Great shots none the less! It is a rare occasion to see aircraft like that.:wave: :D

Cheers,
Adam
They are great shots and something quite special. It is always had to get such shots, and that clear.

Congratulations.

Adam (and others), the Concord was taken out of service after one crashed heading to Australia for the Olympics in 2000. I am not sure whether they where taken out in that year or shortly after, but that was the result of the crash.

Quite sad really.

Craig
:):):)

Hehehe , yea nice shots.. nice airplane...
But .. Im not so RAF fan .. or like in oure country Royal Dutch Airforce ..

Im a soldier .. so i stay on tha ground ..
I eat dust .. :cool:

Grtz

They are cracking photos. I love the haze on the first photo, its gives of a stealthy aura to the plane. The shot with the Eurofighter Typhoon in the background is a good 'un as well showing todays and yesterdays Delta winging aircraft. Its a shame in a sense that I'm not living in Lincolnshire anymore as I bet their would be a good chance of seeing her overhead at some point. Certainly see the Battle of Britain memorial flight often in summer months at my Parents.

Few corrections are in order here though. Concorde is a Anglo-French plane, as as stated by LNER the plane in the background is the Eurofighter Typhoon.

Rob

Wonderful shots! Just superb. What a stroke of luck for you - right place, right time AND a camera in hand! :hehe:

If I remember my Boys' Books of Planes from the late 50s correctly there were three of these things called "V" bombers. The Vulcan, the Valiant and the Victor. I believe they were meant to be capable of delivering nuclear bombs. Supposed to replace the Canberra or something.

Discuss furiously before this thread gets nuked! :hehe:

Cheers (and thanks)

Nix

lner, these are absolutely top drawer, great depth of field and lighting and composition, nice to see some lovely blue sky as well, are you sure you were in England?.....:hehe:

Thank you for putting them on display for us.....:udrool:

Cheerz. ex.

The V Bombers

Wonderful shots! Just superb. What a stroke of luck for you - right place, right time AND a camera in hand! :hehe:

If I remember my Boys' Books of Planes from the late 50s correctly there were three of these things called "V" bombers. The Vulcan, the Valiant and the Victor. I believe they were meant to be capable of delivering nuclear bombs. Supposed to replace the Canberra or something.

Discuss furiously before this thread gets nuked! :hehe:

Cheers (and thanks)

Nix

Yes, the 3 variants were our 'nuclear deterrant', named correctly as you state. There was a film on TV showing the time needed to get them off the ground, about 3 or 4 minutes I think.
Their claim to fame came during the Falklands Conflict when one did the trip from the UK, refuelled in flight and cratered the runway on the islands.
A hell of a flight! So they did see active service. I am not certain but I think the aircraft used was the Vulcan.
The Victor and Valliant had different wing configurations, shaped like a cresent instead of the delta.
Whatever, all lovely aircraft to see. The Vulcan is my favourite though. And good to see one back in the air too....

Angela

.....Adam (and others), the Concord was taken out of service after one crashed heading to Australia for the Olympics in 2000. I am not sure whether they where taken out in that year or shortly after, but that was the result of the crash.

Quite sad really.

Craig
:):):)
That is news to me and to eveybody else. Can you give your sources for this. To everybody else the only crash was when an Air France Concorde crashed on takeoff from Paris with a party of Germans on a private hire.

The photos of the Vulcan are superb. They bring back memories of seeing the first prototype at the Farnborough Airshow the day the DH110 crashed in 1952. Also the story that an early one was looped and came down with every rivet strained (I have never found evidence for this). I have recently been reading a book on testing the Vulcan by Avro's test pilot. His stories of problems only confirmed my impressions formed, when doing National Service in the RAF, that the public were being conned as to just how marvellous our planes were.

Adam (and others), the Concord was taken out of service after one crashed heading to Australia for the Olympics in 2000. I am not sure whether they where taken out in that year or shortly after, but that was the result of the crash....

The crash did not mark the end of the commercial life of the Concord(e) fleet. The fleet of planes were grounded after the Paris crash and extensive re-engineering was carried out to rectify a serious weakness. The crash did not however cause the withdrawal of the planes from commercial service. The fleet came back into service after modification but were not economically viable and of course were ageing hence the decision was made to withdraw them soon after.

Cheers
Dave

Their claim to fame came during the Falklands Conflict when one did the trip from the UK, refuelled in flight and cratered the runway on the islands.
A hell of a flight! So they did see active service. I am not certain but I think the aircraft used was the Vulcan.

Angela

Almost correct, the Vulcans actually operated from Ascension Island. But still, the "Black Buck" missions were the longest ever until B-52 raids during the Gulf War in 1991.

The Victor was used as an aerial tanker in the Falklands and Gulf Wars.

The Valiant also saw active service as a bomber in Suez, before they were converted to aerial tankers. They turned out to have structural deficiencies, and were withdrawn in 1964.

I would suggest that people wating to know more about these bombers check out http://www.thunder-and-lightnings.co.uk.

thanks for all your kind words, i am glad i posted the pictures :) 2moro i am off to cosford to see the Valiant, Victor and Vulcan under one roof. If you go to RAF Waddington then you can see Vulcan XM607 the one that dropped the bombs on the Falklands, it is opposite the public car park, you can't really miss it:hehe:

well after getting back from Cosford here is the best picture i could get of firstly the Vulcan then the Valiant, will post a pic of the Victor soon

DSCF1967.jpg

DSCF1964.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back