A BIG Plea to Creators of assets

BLACKWATCH

Mechanical Engineer
PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, give a thought to all those who cannot afford to update their computer to the specs to run 'T:ane'.

I have a machine that will run TS12 with a minimum of stutter, I cannot & WILL NOT spend money that I cannot afford on updating
my graphics card & memory plus my processor, just to run 1 bloody game.

IF you must update your TS12 assets to run in builds higher than 3.7 (TS 12-SP1) would you PLEASE, PLEASE give them a
different 'Kuid' number, instead of just incrementing the current Kuid.

By doing just upping the Kuid version, you break it for us TS12 users, have a thought for those of us who have donated our
money to further your gaming pleasure, knowing that we cannot actually take part.

YES, the old component will still work in our version, but it don't half make a GIANT COCK-UP of our content manager, cos it
keeps telling (nagging) us that there are updates, WHEN WE CAN'T USE THE FRIGGIN' THINGS.

I can understand why users increment the KUID though. If it's part of a multiplayer route, it causes a lot more work for route creators who use that asset to have to update their route to use the new asset if the route has been created in T:ANE and the fixes are to allow the asset to be used in T:ANE.

Shane

T:ane is a new beast Shane, it's a new engine, not everyone will update for it, it's needs it's own creations.

There is an old saying, "Don't bite the hand that feeds you", I have supported 'Trainz' for years, I even gave
to the Kickstart campaign even knowing I would never use 'T:ane', so I all I ask is a bit of consideration from
those that I helped, NOT TO BREAK MY GAME, that is not a lot to ask, cloning - updating & issuing
a NEW Kuid is bloody easy, if you've gone to the effort of updating an asset, it don't take much more to
make it 'T:ane' specific, I'm not asking much, just some consideration for us long time Trainz supporters.

I agree that users should look into cloning, but I can understand it if they are not willing to for the above reason.

Shane

it don't take much more to
make it 'T:ane' specific, I'm not asking much, just some consideration for us long time Trainz supporters.
Yep.
I make my content for TS12(3.5), and it 'should' work in T:ANE, but if and when I upgrade to T:ANE and find that some things need fixing for it, I'll make a new KUID for it.
It's unlikely, if the original doesn't work in T:ANE, that it's going to be in anyone's T:ANE route anyway, and if it is, a simple "replace" will sort it.

I'm still amazed that any version of CM makes the mistake of tagging an asset as "update available" when the updated version is clearly higher than the build that that particular version of CM is made for.
Obviously it isn't checking, and my point is, it should!

Brian.

Thank you Smileyman, at least you are being considerate (I do use a fair few of your assets so I appreciate your efforts)

Yes you are correct, N3v should sort this out with CM, but the old "If it isn't profitable to do it, don't give it a 2nd thought"
is the tenet of all modern business & trainz has always left it up to the buying public to do their work for free.

Can't a T:ANE asset be backdated, and the config file re-written (or fixed) so that it runs in 04, 06, 09, 10 12 ?

I think it's a lost cause ... all the great TC3 and older assets are long gone, by people messing with things on the DLS ... Soon we'll have all assets updated to T:ANE, and they will all be broken for 04, 06, 09, 10 12 users, and what is nexts after T:ANE ... A newer version ... which will break all the DLS assets ... I really don't care ... Trainz will be gone soon, as N3V will be history.

It's a shame that no one created a back up of the DLS, before it was destroyed by 09, 10, 12 trainzbuid config files ... Now T:ANE is the death bell tolling for Trainz.

How many times does Trainz have to screw you up, until you see the grande conspiracy ... N3V creates the program platform ... and private community members create all the assets, for free ... then a new game platform is developed, screwing up all the older trainz-build config files ... and N3V doesn't care, because they didn't rewrite all the T:ANE config files ... instead all the Community members self-screwed up all the 04, 06, 09, 10 12 config files, themselves ... sabotaging 04, 06, 09, 10 12 versions ... So N3V comes out with a brand new self-screwing up Trainz version, to purposely screw you up ... and you keep buying into the same old ruse, time and time again.

Last edited:
I build my assets to 3.7 presently, I don't feel the desire to roll back to 3.5 since I run a fully patched TS12, I can't validate for versions lower then 3.7, and I don't see why people actively avoid applying bug fixes.

As of now however asset creation is becoming a touch more complicated with newer features that T:ANE can take advantage of, and I intend to build assets that have T:ANE in mind for the sake of having a better asset overall.

Jack

Hmm........ I see what you mean, just checked some stuff I updated that's used in my Route in T:ANE, in TS12 looks like you can't even download the original version in 49922. OK will sort mine. Afraid this means people are going to have to do a manual replace in TANE and it's probably going to upset those who have already download them in TANE as dependencies. Going to have to do an up-version of the originals and clone the updates grrrrr lot of extra work! 135 assets............

It's a case of dammed if you do dammed if you don't.

Can't a T:ANE asset be backdated, and the config file re-written (or fixed) so that it runs in 04, 06, 09, 10 12 ?

Not if you have physically alter the asset to Work in TANE, billboards being a good example as the specular and gamma are different and they will be virtually black in TS12.

By doing just upping the Kuid version, you break it for us TS12 users

ONLY if you choose to download them. It's not difficult to check all items marked as obsolete and only download those you want. You can easily sort by build number for the proposed downloads, and select up to your highest valid build. Or use the in-game downloading only.

If Content Creators use a new KUID for updates of existing assets then the process of migrating existing routes to the new version becomes much more difficult.

It is more important to get TS12 routes into T:ANE than to save TS12 users a bit of bother in filtering their downloads.

Not to us TS12 users who can't run T:ane it insn't, plus there are more TS12 users than there are T:ane.

Yes it is. TS12 is old product. T:ANE is new product. Raging against the change is a waste of time and effort.

If content creators want to get the maximum exposure for their content they have to showcase it in routes for T:ANE, not TS12. They therefore should be making it as easy as possible to get that asset into T:ANE, and that means supporting the migration of routes. They do that by following the guidelines for version numbering.

Like I said - use ingame downloading, or a simple filter in CM.

The main point is to "NOT" overwrite the original kuid, obsoleting, and breaking the old original kuid, (ie: obsoleting a 04, 06 asset, and updating it to T:ANE trainzbuild, which will ruin the older version, original asset for everyone lower than T:ANE) ... but you should instead make a brand new kuid

The main point is to "NOT" overwrite the original kuid, obsoleting, and breaking the old original kuid, (ie: obsoleting a 04, 06 asset, and updating it to T:ANE trainzbuild, which will ruin the older version, original asset for everyone lower than T:ANE) ... but you should instead make a brand new kuid

Creating a KUID with an updated version number does NOT break the original and does not ruin the older version. The original is unchanged. It is as usable as it always was. The update only affects users if they choose to download the new version. And even then it only effects them if the changes made it incompatible with the older version, which is not necessarily the case.

To suggest that the version sequencing should be broken by assigning a new asset ID just for the sake of simplifying life for those users who refuse to filter their downloads is bad advice.

Creating a KUID with an updated version number does NOT break the original and does not ruin the older version. The original is unchanged. It is as usable as it always was. The update only affects users if they choose to download the new version. And even then it only effects them if the changes made it incompatible with the older version, which is not necessarily the case.

To suggest that the version sequencing should be broken by assigning a new asset ID just for the sake of simplifying life for those users who refuse to filter their downloads is bad advice.
Updating the original kuid, obsoletes the original kuid, removing the older asset from the DLS ... so by this method of simply updating kuids to T:ANE standard, this will permanently break the DLS for 04, 06, 09, 10, 12 users

Updating the original kuid, obsoletes the original kuid, removing the older asset from the DLS ... so by this method of simply updating kuids to T:ANE standard, this will permanently break the DLS for 04, 06, 09, 10, 12 users

Unless you are living in a different universe to me, uploading a later version of an asset does not remove the earlier one, that is the purpose of the versioning system. Earlier Trainz versions still have access to the version that suits their build.

The obsolete tag only indicates that there is a later version.

Peter

How could you have been using Trainz for so long and misunderstand this aspect so badly?

Back