4-8-8-8-4 huge boy

What blake said there isnt a huge boy in trainz,
maybe not answer if you dont know for sure blake lol

f1f9d0cf7bb05105fbe886cc08cc218e.jpg

There has been a huge boy made. It is payware. But I do not know if it currently available.
It is from trainzitalia. It is a part of their gold member downlolads.
Kenny
Edit: been beat to it.

Oh they didn't create one.

normhart201304190001.jpg

UP 8000 by rudolf3610
and
UP 8003 by pendolino

Both available with your subscription to trainzitalia.

Edit; they are too big for the turntables at Cheyenne and Laramie but both yards have wyes.

Last edited:
Depending on how the driver sets were arranged under the boiler on a real life 4-8-8-8-4 it would either be a disaster going around curves or have the same agility as a 4-8-8-4.

The disaster would be to have the rear set (under the cab and firebox) ridgidly attached to the frame and the other 2 sets swivel under the boiler. Boiler overhang at the front would wipe out fence posts and telephone poles with ease, lol.

On the other hand if the cener set was attached to the boiler and the outer two sets allowed to swivel overhang would be no different then a 4-8-8-4 just at both ends and its ability to negotiate curves would be the same as a 4-8-8-4. Connections to the tender might be a bit trickier as it had an automatic stoker I'm sure..

Just out of curiosity how does the trainzitalia version do this?

Ben

By hiding everything in the steam? :D

normhart201304200000.jpg

As you can see the front drivers are swiveling but both other sets don't swivel much and apparently both are attached to the boiler, possibly all three. (I think)

I'll see what can be done to improve the Huge Boy using the new tags introduced in TS2009 for bogeys :)

The upgrade of the Huge Boy to TS2010-TS12 standards, however, has a very, very low priority. I'm still having trouble with the enginespecs of our FEF and Challenger: they work fine on flat terrain, but as soon as they try to climb a gradient their performance becomes very poor:
- the Challenger cannot haul a 1,500 ton freight from Laramie to Hermosa: it stops halfway :(.
- the FEF can achieve 100 MPH with a dozen heavyweight cars, but on flat terrain only. Going east from Laramie, it only achieves 35-40 MPH :(

ty guys fo telling me but i cnt download any of them from the old trainzitlia fourms i dont have the log in for it just tthe new ones

Hey Pendolino!

I'd rather see the Challengers upgraded than more work on these fictional engines anyway. They really look OK under most conditions, I posted the picture of it cutting the track in response to Ben's question by deliberately picking a tight radius 'S' turn. On the open road the Huge Boys look fine.

Back