convert CDP file so I can open it in Blender

I hope I don't disappoint you, but that's not how the system works.
You can't take a CDP - a complete, ready-to-use Trainz Asset that isn't yours, on the other hand ... it can be Built-In, payware or downloaded - and open it in a 3D program.
You cannot modify it, it is to be used as is, you can only sometimes change some colors (known as reskin, which you can private use on your PC but not publish it as yours or distribute it modified).
You can do whatever you want with your own created Assets ...
If you know how to use Blender, all the better ... the easier it will be to create something.

You cannot convert CDP into a 3d model for use in Blender or anywhere else for that matter!

I want you to think about this one very carefully. Because many people has illegally converted models in the past and claimed as their own work, this is exactly why we have modellers dumping projects and stop enjoying their hobby. Think about HOW THEY FEEL!!

ASK THE AUTHORS PERMISSION, if you need to use or modify their models! It's not that hard to ask, if they say NO then get into Blender and 3d model it yourself..

Thanks a lot for your answers!
I need to recreate a real accident with a very specific locomotive, for an investigation, but we are working in unreal engine.
Even if the model is freely distributed, I contacted the author that did the model, in his facebook and in his youtube channel, but he never answered.
I guess I'll have to re do it.
And we are asking ourselves if we shouldnt use Trainz for all projects related to train accidents
Thank you!

Well, you would have gotten a lot more help if you had stated your intent in the first post. I don't see that you would be violating copyright by using a model as you described as long as you don't distribute the modified model afterwards. Now I don't know if what you want can be done but I suspect it can be. Maybe someone will offer up help now.

Well, you would have gotten a lot more help if you had stated your intent in the first post. I don't see that you would be violating copyright by using a model as you described as long as you don't distribute the modified model afterwards. Now I don't know if what you want can be done but I suspect it can be. Maybe someone will offer up help now.
Thanks a lot!

I need to recreate a real accident with a very specific locomotive, for an investigation, but we are working in unreal engine.
Even if the model is freely distributed, I contacted the author that did the model, in his facebook and in his youtube channel, but he never answered.
And we are asking ourselves if we shouldnt use Trainz for all projects related to train accidents
Thank you!
Technically bring the .cdp file into the game, I suggest TS22. Manage Content, right click show in explorer. What you're after is the .im file or the .fbx file. There are tools to get from a .im file back into Blender and I think .fbx will just import. Trainz is a lot more open to this sort of thing you can change the texture file to repaint the loco etc and the engine spec can be closely modelled. Use Transdem to recreate the exact ground if you need that and there is a lot of expertise in the forum.

Cheerio John

Thank you!

I understand not being able to contact an author of a model or a route. Just recently, I was trying to contact an author of a route but decided to have a change of heart requesting the threat to be deleted because I realised that I've attempted to contact the author previously about the route. Sadly, without any response..

If an author can't be contacted, we won't be able to use a model, reskin or have a route we'd like to have in our collection.

As John has suggested above, that's the only way you can open the CDP file.. However, John forgot something 'sorry mate' if the model had been created for TANE and higher you will not be able to find .im files within the model archive as this is an obsolete format, but still in use for some things.

You will also NOT be able to find any .fbx files within any archive via Content Manager. Many authors remove the .fbx to prevent any unwanted copyright of their models as it is their right to do so.

I understand not being able to contact an author of a model or a route. Just recently, I was trying to contact an author of a route but decided to have a change of heart requesting the threat to be deleted because I realised that I've attempted to contact the author previously about the route. Sadly, without any response..

If an author can't be contacted, we won't be able to use a model, reskin or have a route we'd like to have in our collection.

As John has suggested above, that's the only way you can open the CDP file.. However, John forgot something 'sorry mate' if the model had been created for TANE and higher you will not be able to find .im files within the model archive as this is an obsolete format, but still in use for some things.

You will also NOT be able to find any .fbx files within any archive via Content Manager. Many authors remove the .fbx to prevent any unwanted copyright of their models as it is their right to do so.
I only work in .im files so I'm not sure what happens on the .fbx side. However .im files work fine in TANE and above. My content these days is created for TANE but I still use blender 2.79b and .im. I'm not certain that going through the learning curve for Blender 2.8 and above and the .fbx side is worth it for me. I note the number of content creators isn't growing in leaps and bounds and there are even some still working in GMAX with .im format files. The reason I create in TANE these days is the scripting side is more stable in the later versions ie a TANE script is more likely to work in TS19 or TRS22 than TS12 or earlier one.

Cheerio John

Basically, when you import .fbx into TANE and higher. Trainz then converts it into a .trainzmesh file instead of the old .pm and .im formats

For positioning in an accident, don't forget that in Trainz 22 you can tilt and rotate objects to lay them on their sides or pitch them down embankments. I have seen screenshots by DARTrider and others of this type of scenario.

Basically, when you import .fbx into TANE and higher. Trainz then converts it into a .trainzmesh file instead of the old .pm and .im formats
i can deal with fbx easily it's just that everything is packed into .ace I tried unpacking with the Peas ace plugin but it shows empty folders when they are not

You cannot convert CDP into a 3d model for use in Blender or anywhere else for that matter!

I want you to think about this one very carefully. Because many people has illegally converted models in the past and claimed as their own work, this is exactly why we have modellers dumping projects and stop enjoying their hobby. Think about HOW THEY FEEL!!

ASK THE AUTHORS PERMISSION, if you need to use or modify their models! It's not that hard to ask, if they say NO then get into Blender and 3d model it yourself..
The illegally part is simple. TRAINZ. ANDROID.

i can deal with fbx easily it's just that everything is packed into .ace I tried unpacking with the Peas ace plugin but it shows empty folders when they are not
It's the first time I've heard about it ... the only ACE files I knew (and a long time ago) were textures for MSTS :unsure:

You're wrong there!

Trainz doesn't use .ace for textures. Only MSTS, TS Classic and TSW all use .ace file format for textures.

If you visit Steam4me MSTS, download Shape Viewer 2.2 and then you'll be able to view .im/.pm files and be able to press backspace to switch into wireframe mode..

Please keep in mind that you would need to type 'Steam4me MSTS' into Google copy the main link and use wayback machine, Shape Viewer 2.2 can be found under Utilities on the Steam4me site.

This is getting more and more mixed ... :unsure:
I did a little searching and ACE was a compression format related to the WinAce software in the 2000s... and the aforementioned PeaZip plugin was used to open them for read only.
I still don't understand the relationship with CDPs ...
The intention may be good or innocent... but a new member - literally first day - who starts trying to open a CDP in a bad way (which implies knowing or having researched what is inside) and it's familiar with Blender and FBXs does not smell very good to me. ...maybe the years have made me a little paranoid. My apologies if I'm wrong.

Last edited:
Back