Blender or....?

Taizahn

I'm am considering on making my own Trainz content (Locomotives, Rolling Stock, Buildings, etc) and most people recommend using Blender. I have nothing against Blender personally but does anyone know any other 3d modeling softwares that I can export models into Trainz with. And since I'm using a MacBook it would be best if they were compatible with it.

Basically there is no other free software that comes close to it's capabilities. I'm not sure if you can create from blender on a MAC. Possibly using FBX into one of the more modern versions of trainz such as TS22. Do be aware that there is a major learning curve to creating content and if you start in a different product then find you need the capabilities of Blender that will be another learning curve to go through.

Cheerio John

The main alternative to Blender is 3DSMax, but that is incredibly expensive. Blender is the best option if you are looking for free software and there should be no problem using it on Mac as the FBX exporter is built into Blender rather than reliant on external plugins (The now obsolete IM exporter was a plug-in that only worked on Windows). Some people also use sketchup, but that can't really be used for locomotives and rolling stock so isn't suitable for your purposes.

The other advantage of Blender is that it is very widely used both inside and outside of trainz so there are plenty of tutorials etc. available on the web both trainz specific and general.

I think you're right...I'll just stick with Blender....I was just wanted to see if there were any other modeling softwares that can be used to create content for Trainz. Thanks

Any 3D software that exports in the .fbx format can be used for TRS19 and up. If you don't already use other 3D software now then I would try Blender as its quirks won't make you crazy the way they do me. I'm a Lightwave 3D user. :)

From Blender Homepage :
Blender 3.6 support MacOs 10.15 and Intel Broadwell graphics cards.
Blender 3.4 support MacOs 10.13
Blender 2.83 support macOs 10.12

Other than Blender or 3ds Max :p:p:p I would recommend using Amabilis 3d Crafter 10. You can download the free version.
* hint: download the exe file for Windows 7 +' DON'T, whatever you do is it download via Windows 10/11 Microsoft Store...

The Windows 7 + version works PERFECTLY on Windows 7, 8, 8.1, 10 and 11 32/64 bit systems, without any issues.

You don't need the Professional version of 3d Crafter 10, it is optional if you wish to purchase the software, for all the advanced tools to be unlocked.. I recently purchased it this year '2024', to import Train Sim Modeler DST files to export to Wavefront OBJ to import into Blender ;) You could also do this in the free version using the 3ds export option, fixing faces and rescaling models maybe required!

You could also use Gmax, Sketchup and Maya.. Don't get too worried about trying to get Gmax registered, there is a 'LEGAL' workaround to register Gmax if you wish to go old school ;) pretty much any software that exports to FBX your good to go :)

Amabilis 3d Crafter can be found here http://amabilis.com/

Other than Blender or 3ds Max :p:p:p I would recommend using Amabilis 3d Crafter 10. You can download the free version.
* hint: download the exe file for Windows 7 +' DON'T, whatever you do is it download via Windows 10/11 Microsoft Store...

The Windows 7 + version works PERFECTLY on Windows 7, 8, 8.1, 10 and 11 32/64 bit systems, without any issues.

You don't need the Professional version of 3d Crafter 10, it is optional if you wish to purchase the software, for all the advanced tools to be unlocked.. I recently purchased it this year '2024', to import Train Sim Modeler DST files to export to Wavefront OBJ to import into Blender ;) You could also do this in the free version using the 3ds export option, fixing faces and rescaling models maybe required!

You could also use Gmax, Sketchup and Maya.. Don't get too worried about trying to get Gmax registered, there is a 'LEGAL' workaround to register Gmax if you wish to go old school ;) pretty much any software that exports to FBX your good to go :)

Amabilis 3d Crafter can be found here http://amabilis.com/
I think most of these are windows software.

Cheerio John

Back