Kuji Rail sim release date Friday 5th October 2007

How about this for a bummer then lol.

Rail Simulator Minimum & Recommended Computer Specs

by KujuAdam on 17 Sep 2007 12:10
Hi Everyone,

We can finally release details about Rail Simulators hardware requirements, so here they are:

In order to install and play Rail Simulator, your system must meet or exceed the following minimum system requirements
Operating System: Windows XP with latest service pack installed / Windows Vista
CPU: XP - Intel Pentium 4/AMD Athlon 1.7 GHz or equivalent; Vista - Intel Pentium 4/AMD Athlon 2.6 GHz or equivalent
RAM: 512 MB
Video Card: 64MB DirectX 9.0c compliant video card, Pixel shader 2.0 and above. (AGP and PCIe only)
Sound Card: - DirectX 9.0c compatible
Hard Drive Space: 4.5 GB of space is required to install the game

In order to play the game as intended, your computer should match or exceed the following recommended system specifications:
Operating system: Windows XP with latest service pack installed / Windows Vista
CPU: Intel Pentium 4/AMD Athlon 3.0 GHz or equivalent
RAM: 1.0GB
Video Card: 256MB DirectX 9.0c compliant video card, Pixel shader 3.0 and above. (AGP and PCIe only)
Sound card: Sound Blaster® X-Fi™ series from Creative Labs
Hard Drive space: 4.5 GB of space is required to install the game

Pity my machine doesn't meet minimum hardware specs, mind you it still gets an average of 38 frames per second at default settings in TC 1/2 though. I wonder why it needs a more powerful machine than is needed for Trainz?

Still I don't think I want to buy a new machine just to run this one.

Cheerio John

Of somewhat the same line is an e-mail I got awhile ago from the Railsimulator guys...

Since I have a computer that runs Vista very nicely I think I will wait till next year, who knows, it might have been released by then:p

WileeCoyote:D

Current version Kuju are about release will work on vista as it will work on xp, I don't they will release a seprate vista version.:)

Correct me Overmars If I'm wrong.

As I understand it, what Kuju seem to be saying is that the forthcoming version of Rail Simulator will work on XP or on Vista, and a later version will only work on Vista (and by implication will have additional features and/or performance).

On the other hand, Microsoft are currently saying that MSTS II will only work on Vista. However, I suspect they are actually judging the reaction to that statement, which doesn't exactly seem very positive.

John

On the other hand, Microsoft are currently saying that MSTS II will only work on Vista.

Where did you get that from ?
Some Aces Studio Devs have stated in the UkTrainsim Forums that some reporters from the Leipzig Games Convention Show misunderstood some of their statements and that it will also run on WindowsXP, it's just that the Vista version will make use of the more advanced features of DirectX 10.
It wouldn't have been a smart move from a game developer to cut off an entire customer base (the WindowsXP ones) anyways.

Tata
Mr.Jingles

It does make MSTS2 a rather expensive option if you are still on XP like myself. Still, in a year's time, who knows?

Tdragger's blog for 1-Sep-07 (he's one of the MSTS II developers) plus follow-up comments also by Tdragger on uktrainsim.

I agree that limiting it to Vista seems a very poor commercial decision.

John

Yes, and in that Blog (thanks for the link) he writes :
What I told journalists in Leipzig is that we're targeting both DX9 and DX10. Vista supports both and what you get depends on the hardware you have.
Pretty clear statement that it supports both, DirectX 9 and DirectX 10.

And I'm pretty sure that there will be a, call it an "inofficial patch" or tool around by the time it is being released that tricks the installer and game to believe XP is Vista, hence getting rid of the Vista-only installable thing.
This decision was probably made because of the anti-software-piracy improvements with Vista and there are already reports on the net, stating that this made some warez kiddies suffer badly, hehe.
Me, I don't really mind as I'm already happily running Vista besides XP.

Tata
Mr.Jingles

Microsoft claim that MSTS II will use some software components which only exist in Vista; I've no idea how valid that claim is but tend to be somewhat sceptical.

That's an interesting theory about Microsoft preferring Vista in order to reduce piracy, that could well be part of their reasoning, plus presumably it's all part of their policy to tempt reluctant people to move to Vista.

John

Pity my machine doesn't meet minimum hardware specs, mind you it still gets an average of 38 frames per second at default settings in TC 1/2 though. I wonder why it needs a more powerful machine than is needed for Trainz?

Still I don't think I want to buy a new machine just to run this one.

Cheerio John

That is easy:
Rail Simulator is a complete new game!
Every new game set the grafic higher.

For me Trainz is build in 2001 or have Auran build Trainz new?
****I buy Trainz_Retail, UTC, TRS2004 --->>> I would buy Trainz again, then Auran build a complete new Game with using next generation PC-Hardware****
I like Trainz but I like the better grafic from Rail Simulator too.

My PC is in the middle:
2600+ / 768 MB RAM / Radeon 9800 PRO (Pixelshader 2.0) WinXP

I will buy it and test it - then I build my next PC next year.

Hardware requirements say all and nothing to me!
Because:

CPU: Pentium 4 = 3 GHz - or Athlon 3 GHz? Which core? (Single, Dual-Core, Athlon 64)???

Grafic: only pixelshader and RAM: 2.0 and 64MB-256 MB

RAM: 512MB - 1000MB and ???? SD-RAM??? :D
DDR1-DDR2. Frequency????

Settings for min. and max.???
1280x1024 sliders default = fps???
1280x1024 sliders on high = fps???
1280x1024 sliders on high with quality settings on???

That is what I mean.
We need two things:
1. some users they test it and post her settings
2. a DEMO - so all users can test it self

One question to you in the great world wide web:
Would you say "there come a demo for Rail Simulator"?

I would say "no - never"
What do you mean?

Last edited:
Thats easy because by the time Msts 2 comes out Windows Xp wont be supported :p

I dunno - someone I've been talking to (nothing to do with MS) tells me that Microsoft will continue to support and issue product keys for XP until then end of January 2009. I'll see if I can source this - don't take it as absolute gospel until I can find out more.

BidMod
(who will probably have a Vista machine anyway before Jan 2009)

That is easy:
Rail Simulator is a complete new game!
Every new game set the grafic higher.

For me Trainz is build in 2001 or have Auran build Trainz new?
****I buy Trainz_Retail, UTC, TRS2004 --->>> I would buy Trainz again, then Auran build a complete new Game with using next generation PC-Hardware****
I like Trainz but I like the better grafic from Rail Simulator too.

My PC is in the middle:
2600+ / 768 MB RAM / Radeon 9800 PRO (Pixelshader 2.0) WinXP

I will buy it and test it - then I build my next PC next year.

Hardware requirements say all and nothing to me!
Because:

CPU: Pentium 4 = 3 GHz - or Athlon 3 GHz? Which core? (Single, Dual-Core, Athlon 64)???

Grafic: only pixelshader and RAM: 2.0 and 64MB-256 MB

RAM: 512MB - 1000MB and ???? SD-RAM??? :D
DDR1-DDR2. Frequency????

Settings for min. and max.???
1280x1024 sliders default = fps???
1280x1024 sliders on high = fps???
1280x1024 sliders on high with quality settings on???

That is what I mean.
We need two things:
1. some users they test it and post her settings
2. a DEMO - so all users can test it self

One question to you in the great world wide web:
Would you say "there come a demo for Rail Simulator"?

I would say "no - never"
What do you mean?

So my translation of what you are trying to say is that I should buy a new computer every time I want to try out a new program? My existing hardware is below their minimum specifications yet it runs TC at 38 frames per second which is well above film at 24 frames per second. Surely software programmers should be capable of finding new techniques to squeeze more out of the existing hardware not less, TC for example runs a little more smoothly than TRS2006, or do they simply not know what they are talking about or doing?

In answer to your question, very few games can use more than a single core, so their recommendation would be single core P4 3.0 or equivalent. I have a thread about benchmarking TC or Trainz in the forums, looking at your hardware I suspect it is a bit weak on aa and af, taking the memory upto 2 / 2.5 gigs and dropping in an ATI 1950 would give you quite respectable performance in Trainz for less than the cost of a new PC. Essentially memory DDR speed doesn't make that much difference, the video card will be very important, the more memory on it the more textures it can cache, the amount of main memory is very important.

Cheerio John

Last edited:
You have a very good point there, why hasn't Railsimulator released a Demo version?

WileeCoyote:D

That's the question, there are more questions in UKTrainSimForum.
Many users wait for answers. Nothing...
One of the Rail Simulator Team-Member (not with a Kuju-Account) write in the forum:
Monday or Tuesday we become the new video. Nothing...
You can read it here: http://forums.uktrainsim.com/viewtopic.php?f=156&t=73771#p882476

I have search fast this thread...

Have anyone read this?

EA HAS CHANGE THE RELEASE DAY!
Now it is 12.10.2007 in UK and 11.10.2007 in Germany.

@johnwhelan,
I don't want to update my 4 years old PC again.
Update cost money... and I become not much more fps.
I can't update - I have a Sockel A Mainboard.
I become trouble with RAM, AGP....

P.S. I have read/post so many Trainz performance threads. I have change my hardware since Trainz-Retail 3x in 4 years. I has with every update more CPU/GPU power, I have more RAM. Now I change the programm - and test again. :)

Last edited:
Few more weeks and we should have the kuji sim available in UK but not sure about other countries.
At least plenty of new functions to explore.

Although not very interested in trains early, steam, narrow gauge and mining etc may interest me as regards running routes.

As far as I know satelite dem data srtm2 is integrated so from my point of view it will be worth it just for that as already made most of the west coast of the UK using srtm2 satellite data for the sailing sim I make content and sceneries for.

Pity content making is restricted to 3D Canvas initially, but maybe other file types will eventually be usable as regards Blender, etc and would then might see if I can create some canal networks, docks and rivers c1800 as in Trainz, all on DS for 2004 version.;) :D
http://www.barrywright.clara.net/

Barry

Last edited:
I dunno - someone I've been talking to (nothing to do with MS) tells me that Microsoft will continue to support and issue product keys for XP until then end of January 2009. I'll see if I can source this - don't take it as absolute gospel until I can find out more.

All the info you need can be found on Microsofts Lifecycle page.

(who will probably have a Vista machine anyway before Jan 2009)

That would be me then :D and I'm happy with it.
SP1 will hopefully fix the remaining issues though.

Tata
Mr.Jingles

for the vista verson that will work to the full potentual there will be a patched released :eek:

I have dual boot Windows XP Pro and Windows Vista Ultimate 32-bit and I will test kuju's Rail Sim (the released version next month) on both operating systems.:D

Back