Uploading 3rd party content

THOMAS2000

Hi, just me again :hehe:
As some of you may know i have run into trouble uploading third party content in the past. After being told what to do i removed them from my website. However what is the copyright surrounding built in routes in Trainz 2010. Would i need to ask their permision to upload a modified version of say- CSX Saginaw Subdivision?

Many thanks, Simon

Since it is not your route, you will need to get permission first.

It does not matter where you find which content, as long as it is not yours and you don't have permission to share (a modified version of) it, you will need to obtain that first before legally being allowed to do so.

The creator of the route. Assuming you know how to use Content Manager, you should be able to figure that out :)

It's in the route config file, read the license, if there is no license you still need to contact the creator first. Search his kuid, (the first set of numerals are his ID). If the creator does not respond, or is deceased, or not active in Trainz ... You CAN NOT modify the asset or route, and redistribute it ANYWHERE

Seems everyone wants to modify OPS (OtherPeoplesStuff), instead of making their own assets

I do know how to use said things yes. I am just trying to be a little more cautious than when i started out with my own website. I am used to YouTube copyright rules -As in, if no immediate copyright locks, then credit the original creator with link to their channel and so on. Surely if you are not attempting to gain any profit and are simply sharing your version of a route then it is OK? Im not trying to be ignorant, but if the rules you have stated are true then there would beno routes aailable on the DLS dueto the individual assets beinguseed were copyrighted? Also, i am talking about completely redesigned track layout new scenery, just simply the original route as a base as it were. I produce videos of routes i have constructed or modified (Channel name: Train Maniac) if you would like to see what im talking about.

Redistribution of other peoples work, without getting explicit written permission from the creator, and giving it out, even for free, is illegal

No If's, And's, or But's ... Do you understand ?

Do your own work from scratch ... No Piracy allowed

Even if you flatten mountains, raise hills, move track, reskin a loco or railcar ... If it was originally someone else's work, you are stealing

Last edited:
Ok, jeez! I am only checking man. Got to learn from somewhere or otherwise i will contniue to make the same mistake.

Right i get that it's illeagal and all that stuff, but some people say 'You may upload this asset to the DLS but not on 3rd party websites'. What is the difference?
Secondly, considering as we are on the subjcet, does all this permission business include sharing between a group of friends?

Right i get that it's illeagal and all that stuff, but some people say 'You may upload this asset to the DLS but not on 3rd party websites'. What is the difference?
The original creator can specify any rule they like on how the material can be distributed. Differences that might be relevant are that only registered Trainz owners can access the DLS, N3V responds quickly to takedown requests, and the DLS applies quite stringent validation to any uploaded material. My guess is that by restricting distribution to the DLS the original creator has some chance os seeing what other people are doing to the work. But what reasons might be relevant to the original creator are known only to them.
Secondly, considering as we are on the subjcet, does all this permission business include sharing between a group of friends?
Copyright rules apply to any form of distribution - whether it is public on a website or privately by email or anything else. You cannot distribute what is not yours.

OK thankyou. I appreciate the advice given.
When contacting the author of a product what is the best way to ask? 'Hi, my name is (Simon), I have been modifiying your asset (CSX Saginaw Subdivision ) and was wondering whether i could upload it to my website (Inserts link)'?
Lastly, what do you do when the author of the asset has been inactive for a number of years and hasnt replied to the email? Do the rules still apply?

When contacting the author of a product what is the best way to ask?
Whatever works for you. There is no standard.
Lastly, what do you do when the author of the asset has been inactive for a number of years and hasnt replied to the email? Do the rules still apply?
Nothing changes. Even if they have died, their material is still subject to copyright and whatever conditions they specify. There is a time limit, but it's not likely to be relevant to Trainz.

Ahh the 70 year rule, i see. Thankyou for answering my questions. I have followed your advice as closely as possible. Thanks again, Simon

Without explicit written permission from the creator, you can not host the asset on your own website, nor host it on anyone else's 3rd party website, you can not upload it to the DLS ... You can NOT do anything with it redistribution wise, you can not give it away, you can not sell it, you can not trade it, you can not host a link on YouTube ... You can't do NOTHING ... Without explicit written permission from the creator !

It's pretty clear ... the answer is NO ... Without explicit written permission from the creator ... until 70 years from when you first attempt to ask permission

I got the answer i was looking for from Sailor Dan. He answered with simple facts without treating me like a naughty school kid. I accept that i broke the rules the first time, but it was only becuase i misinterperted the license. I simply want to learn from my mistakes. I had a look at what you have been doing and you seem to be dealing with a guy called billvu. I am NOT like that. Usually i behave myself on places like these but i was unsure if the rules were different for Trainz or not.(which has now been answered) I was expecting the Trainz Forum to be a welcoming place where you can show projects you have created and ask questions on things youre not sure about. I also realise that this isnt YouTube and is a lot more grown up. So far, however, i have been told that my ideas are worthless, I find out that someone else has already asked the same question as me on most of the things i ask, and get repeatedly beaten down for showing curiosity over expanding my content. So, I ask this, am i on the wrong site?

i have been told that my ideas are worthless
If that was done without constructive criticism, ignore it or at least don't let it drag you down.
Everyone's first product is crap. After that you improve. Live and learn.

I find out that someone else has already asked the same question as me on most of the things i ask
After 10+ years, that is bound to happen. The good news is that you can find a lot of answers by using search, the bad news is the search on this forum is so-so, so I would suggest using Google for that.
Nothing wrong with asking a question a 2nd time if you are not aware it is the 2nd time. Be sure to share as much detail as you can when asking questions; what version (and build) of the game, what have you tried so far, what are you trying to achieve, etc. Re-read your post assuming you are a total stranger and see if the post contains all the info for this total stranger to understand your situation and help you.

get repeatedly beaten down for showing curiosity over expanding my content.
If the curiosity (assuming the above) is about finding ways to still trying to share not self build content, this will happen. My initial answer to your question was short yet clear, but you continued asking if there were ways "because...".
You will see that if you are interested in building your own content (so starting from scratch), people are usually very helpful.

So, I ask this, am i on the wrong site?
Probably not. Might be the wrong attitude or making to many assumptions, but you live and learn.

Yes, indeed, we do 'live and learn'. Im sorry that I was letting my frustration get the better of me, its just im not appreciative of the way i was being spoken to. I also apologise if i am proving to be an annoyance, but my own experience of copyright, being a college student studying media, is that different rules can apply to different places. I think i have a very questioning personality. Its in my DNA if you know what i mean :eek:
For your inital response i was hoping for you to elaborate a little more. I also think you will find that i have attempted to create my own content- i can only get so far, before another problem crops up. There is help if asked (as you have proved, again, thankyou) but it does wear on ones patience with things such as blender- It isnt a case of being lazy i was just trying a different angle, if you get my meaning. I have contacted Chrisracer (the guy who created CSX Saginaw Subdivision) by private message and am now waiting for a response. I hope this is the right thing to do.

Last edited:
It's in the route config file, read the license, if there is no license you still need to contact the creator first. Search his kuid, (the first set of numerals are his ID). If the creator does not respond, or is deceased, or not active in Trainz ... You CAN NOT modify the asset or route, and redistribute it ANYWHERE

Seems everyone wants to modify OPS (OtherPeoplesStuff), instead of making their own assets
if the creator is deceased the route will go public domain so you can redistribute it if the copyright holder is dead it depends if he even went to the US (or whatever country he/she was in) copyright office to apply for a copyright

Back