Australian screenshots

Afternoon All,

Some further progress shots with Central Division; as I took a dual chance to test my Lander carriage betas and to showcase my continued work on the scenery. Here is the results...

trainz89_20160509_0002_zpsplipjkar.jpg

trainz89_20160509_0007_zps3lmjlj9o.jpg

trainz89_20160509_0003_zpskx3zk88t.jpg

trainz89_20160509_0010_zpsoqqfuzil.jpg

trainz89_20160509_0012_zpskee67qxn.jpg

Regards,

M.Gitsham

Last edited:
Bit of a slap in the face for Aussie route creators - thanks :eek:

Unfortunately it's the truth mate. A lot of the Aussie routes available to download are extremely outdated compared to today's standards. Just check out what the Yanks are dishing up in the JointedRail screenshot section, their work is nothing short of amazing with how realistic it looks. Rastis, Scratchy and Zec have shown in the last few pages here what a great route should look like, with the use of HD textures and assets that are up to today's game standards. Patchy's Cooma layout is the only layout I can think of that is available to download that takes advantage of the new HD assets available. The other problem is a lot of the Aussie layouts being built are just fictional and are just based on certain areas. We have available DEM data through a couple of Trainz users that anyone can request, which makes the game a whole lot more realistic. My upcoming Bairnsdale to Orbost line takes advantage of that, as does Zec's Healesville layout, and I wish a lot more route builders would consider going down the DEM path (trust me, makes it so much easier to build the route, everything is shown in colours for you where the tracks go, roads, fences, etc.).

If any route builders out there are building a HD route and need help with the creaion of custom HD assets, I am happy to help :)

H222.

You just mentioned my Old "Brisbane South B" have you perchance downloaded the updated version for Tane ?
A couple of years ago Auran asked me to update this Version but i refused as it had been superseded in 2004.
It was started back in 2002.
If so Don't blame me for this version I DID NOT do this update !

Norm.

Brisbane South 04 I'm referring to Norm.

Brisbane trams runs well and looks good in TANE.

Sorry Dave, that's the truth. There are more routes with one texture solid baseboards and using UTC assets than there are that take advantage of brand spanking new stuff. Much of JointedRail's assets are globalised and generic. I've used dozens of their buildings in my Modern Geelong Line, despite it apparently having no scenery (cough, Mick)

And before someone has a go at me not contributing: good routes take time.

Currently im building Melbourne-Geelong in its modern (2010) form (80km), including the Sunbury Line to sunshine (another 15km) (meaning Tottenham yard). Most trackwork is done (at least the most complex areas).

In combination with this, I'm building the very urban section North of Caulfield of the Frankston Line that Mussels412/Luke is building (his route is fantastic so far) to eventually link with my layout.
As well as this, I'm building the Port Melbourne Line in its Late 30s/40s form, only about 10km but has 2 of the most complex yards one can imagine (Jolimont and Melbourne Good's yard). Plus Flinders St Station and Spencer St
I'm also supposed to be adding final touches to Tom's Bdale-Orbost line, especially regarding trackwork, when the route works in my TANE that is.

Now ive got that out of the way: roast me.

One of the other problems with building detailed and accurate routes is some locations need specifically built scenery stuff for it which can be a nightmare to build or obtain.

Cheers.

Nothing special about Railworks, trust me. I bought Railworks and TANE on the same day and TANE is the only one I play and didn't really make a start with it until November, so really only been using Trainz for 6 months. I'm just starting out with route building and use as much Australian content a I can, but have found Aussie buildings few and far between and HD content even rarer (Shepparton on my Goulburn Murray Lines route is the best example for this) Really you can only use the same buildings so many times and if the landscape has a sameness to it, go for a drive in the Goulburn Valley and surrounds, it's inevitable. Gum trees that look good but don't cause lag are almost impossible to find, hence a trade off in places of looks for performance. GML is something to learn surveyor on, it's my own personal trainset that I don't mind sharing. I keep being inspired by the Americans (and that does include Canada) and the Europeans with the quality of screenshots they produce, but often wonder whether they are taken on a route or a specifically constructed module. There are some good Aussie routes and agree that Healesville is one of the best, along with Cooma - Bombala, Southlines, Illawarra and NSW north coast and a couple of others fit the bill as well. I welcome any new content, especially Australian and am now waiting with great anticipation for some of these yet to be released routes and hoping that they are released at some stage.
Keep up the great work guys
cheers,
Graeme

Bloody nora! That's Railworks quality there! Is that locomotive on the DLS as freeware? :D

Those steam effects are making me drool.. you can use it as water for the locomotive.. :hehe::mop:

The locos are payware, but not currently available for TANE. I'm part way through updating them, with half of the pack almost finished (the other half, the standard gauge versions, shouldn't take too long to update hopefully).

The steam effects are the same as the 'VR DD T2' locos included in TANE :)

Regards
Zec

Brisbane South 04 I'm referring to Norm.

Brisbane trams runs well and looks good in TANE.

Sorry Dave, that's the truth. There are more routes with one texture solid baseboards and using UTC assets than there are that take advantage of brand spanking new stuff. Much of JointedRail's assets are globalised and generic. I've used dozens of their buildings in my Modern Geelong Line, despite it apparently having no scenery (cough, Mick)

And before someone has a go at me not contributing: good routes take time.

Currently im building Melbourne-Geelong in its modern (2010) form (80km), including the Sunbury Line to sunshine (another 15km) (meaning Tottenham yard). Most trackwork is done (at least the most complex areas).

In combination with this, I'm building the very urban section North of Caulfield of the Frankston Line that Mussels412/Luke is building (his route is fantastic so far) to eventually link with my layout.
As well as this, I'm building the Port Melbourne Line in its Late 30s/40s form, only about 10km but has 2 of the most complex yards one can imagine (Jolimont and Melbourne Good's yard). Plus Flinders St Station and Spencer St
I'm also supposed to be adding final touches to Tom's Bdale-Orbost line, especially regarding trackwork, when the route works in my TANE that is.

Now ive got that out of the way: roast me.

Speaking of me...
With the express and stopping modes sorted for my signals/crossings, here's a few screenshots

XR551-X48 sit at incorrectly numbered post 18 waiting for an X'Trap to clear post 12 at Cheltenham

My-Trainz-Screenshot-Image.jpg

XR551-X48 arrive into the Caulfield through siding with #9556 up Long Island goods

X44-X39 with a wrong routed #9461 down Maryvale paper train between Glenhuntly and Ormond

XR551 leads #9557 down Long Island goods over the Glenhuntly tram square

Boys,

A lot of us do our best. No one has to release what they do, it's done to give us at least something to play with.
Many, like myself, are full time workers and don't have time to sit and make something out of nothing.
Yes, the standard is improving and their are some beautiful routes being created, but that doesn't give anyone the right to **** all over what others have done, no matter how outdated it is. Not everyone has the skill (including myself) to build a line to the quality of Healsville and it's unfair to expect everything be built to this level.

I have have been working on a DEM of the NSW South Coast line and I don't find it easy at all. A lot of work is required scouring Google Earth and thousands of photos to have it remotely resemble the actual location and to do a protoypical route adds a lot of pressure, mostly "that shouldn't be there or that is wrong". The other hard part is the lack of Custom content to make it real. I can't build stuff and so my project suffers. It is nice to see someone finally offer a hand (you have no idea what you've got yourself into Lesley ;) ) but most moan about it and move on instead if lending a hand.

Im not writing this to point fingers but I think we should be grateful for what we get and if we want better stuff, we as a community need to pitch in. I'll take any help with content I can get.

Taggy:

it takes the same amount of time to lay HD track or put down HD textures as it does UTC stuff.

Mate, some people don't have HD stuff. I myself don't have a lot and what is available may not fit the project. (Textures excepted)
You are lucky to have Content creators highly interested in Victorian operations. There is a ton and fantastic stuff for Victorians to use. We here in NSW have a lot less to work with and we use what we have. A lot of NSW content creators have moved on and while some have taken their place, we don't get as much new HD stuff to play with. I'm grateful and use what I have, until someone offers to help expand the Content. (Scenery and Track/Track objects mostly, we have the trains very well covered)

Graeme, just the way I see it mate. Not here to tell people off, just to offer the other side of the story. :)

Well I would love to know who these DEM providers are as so far have found nobody who can do a NSW DEM for me of the Lithgow to Orange region - having done a few DEM routes they are the way to go.
Unfortunately it's the truth mate. A lot of the Aussie routes available to download are extremely outdated compared to today's standards. Just check out what the Yanks are dishing up in the JointedRail screenshot section, their work is nothing short of amazing with how realistic it looks. Rastis, Scratchy and Zec have shown in the last few pages here what a great route should look like, with the use of HD textures and assets that are up to today's game standards. Patchy's Cooma layout is the only layout I can think of that is available to download that takes advantage of the new HD assets available. The other problem is a lot of the Aussie layouts being built are just fictional and are just based on certain areas. We have available DEM data through a couple of Trainz users that anyone can request, which makes the game a whole lot more realistic. My upcoming Bairnsdale to Orbost line takes advantage of that, as does Zec's Healesville layout, and I wish a lot more route builders would consider going down the DEM path (trust me, makes it so much easier to build the route, everything is shown in colours for you where the tracks go, roads, fences, etc.).

If any route builders out there are building a HD route and need help with the creaion of custom HD assets, I am happy to help :)

Taggy, HD textures and track have been built in since 09 at the very latest. I said nothing of HD buildings. Textures and tracks make a HUGE difference.

Boys,

A lot of us do our best. No one has to release what they do, it's done to give us at least something to play with.
Many, like myself, are full time workers and don't have time to sit and make something out of nothing.
Yes, the standard is improving and their are some beautiful routes being created, but that doesn't give anyone the right to **** all over what others have done, no matter how outdated it is. Not everyone has the skill (including myself) to build a line to the quality of Healsville and it's unfair to expect everything be built to this level.

I have have been working on a DEM of the NSW South Coast line and I don't find it easy at all. A lot of work is required scouring Google Earth and thousands of photos to have it remotely resemble the actual location and to do a protoypical route adds a lot of pressure, mostly "that shouldn't be there or that is wrong". The other hard part is the lack of Custom content to make it real. I can't build stuff and so my project suffers. It is nice to see someone finally offer a hand (you have no idea what you've got yourself into Lesley ;) ) but most moan about it and move on instead if lending a hand.

Im not writing this to point fingers but I think we should be grateful for what we get and if we want better stuff, we as a community need to pitch in. I'll take any help with content I can get.

I 100% agree mate. None of this is meant to be negative towards route creators, but more constructive criticism to match what the US guys are able to do. A lot of the older stuff can be updated very easily to todays standards and in not much time. There is a ton of HD textures already available, theres about 100 built-in to TS12 and above (just search in game for TS12) and fantastic textures available on the DLS by motorbreath (all start with the prefix 'JR') as well as Aussie made textures by James Sheppard: http://jamezshepherd.com/. As for HD buildings, I strongly urge people to head over to JointedRail and download everything scenery wise from their freeware website, including the grass. I understand for those building layouts based off real life might get a few rivet counters saying this should or shouldn't be there, but who cares really, I'd rather have a layout that's similar to real life than a fictional one (take the Illawarra line that's available on the DLS already, nowhere near exact but people can recognise the places).

I just spent the last 15-20min updating a section on the Wadalbavale Line to show how much of a difference HD content can make a scene look. I'll let you guys be the judge...
Before:
e98d289550dc0c0a33b3776a5ac0b47f.jpg

After:

1afccf05cf88e46b326c8387290233ee.jpg

This was just a quick replace asset tool use to show what can be achieved. For those wanting to go the extra mile, the buildings could also be changed out, telephone poles, fences etc. and more clutter could even be added to the scene!
And as I said above, if anyone needs custom content built and can send me reference material to build it from then please PM me as I'm happy to help :)

Tom, I see what you mean now. The difference in before and after is quite stark. I have had a look around my own route and noticed that the only major low def texture I have used in both stage 1 and 2 was ballast which I have now changed (some HD ballast looks like boulders even at smallest scale) and some trees which were changed some time ago when I began stage 2. The only textures I can't find in HD, seem to be some dry grass for paddocks, but while driving they are barely noticeable.
I have had a look around both Healesville and Cooma-Bombala routes. Healesville does use a lot of HD textures however the Cooma route barely has any at all. What we really need are more Hd high performance gum trees, (look like RMM Evkalipt but performance like billboards) but for now, high quality trees in town and lower quality in the scrub and on farms will have to do. I suppose I could use less trees, but it really wouldn't look right.
cheers,
Graeme

Back