Australian screenshots

so how does one go about planting the grass is it a mass planting somehow or is it plant by plant then copy paste? Cant seem to find turffx stuff

Pete

Hi Pete, Mick
My first suggestion would be to watch the tutorial videos which can be found on the page Mick has linked to, or at the following two links:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zTqYRMIqCs&feature=youtu.be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Yc7epaBoDc&feature=youtu.be

To simply drop a default TurfFX grass, at default settings, you need simply follow these steps:

1) Load your route into Surveyor
2) Open the Topology/Terrain tab
3) Open the Advanced section
4) Click on the 'Edit Effect Layer' button (the icon that looks like a white box with a few smaller white boxes floating above it)
5) Enter a name for your first effect layer and click the checkmark (leave the 'effect type' setting set to 'TurfFX')
6) Select the desired TurfFX asset from the 'turffx-asset' option
7) Click the checkmark in the Effect Layers window
8) Select the Height Up tool in the Topology/Terrain tab
9) Paint the tab as if you were painting ground textures

You should then see grass on the map!

To go back to terrain editing with the terrain tools, click the drop down box to the left of the 'edit effect layers' button, and then select Ground.

Regards

Thanks Zec probably should of mentioned i havnt really had a good look at the Turfx yet still just enjoying the actual game and for a straight out of the box game N3V have done well but i do hope they have had a look at doing sumthing with the lighting as thats about the only drama i have with it other then that I'm quite pleased with it and cant wait too se what elsle they have planned.
Cheers Mick.:)

Mick,

Turfx is pretty easy to use once you work out how to get the right settings. At this stage I haven't really played around with it too much, I have gone into the route that shows off the various TRS19 features and copied the parameters used for the turfx and that seems to be pretty effective. The only issue I have with turfx is that you can't make it have a clearly defined edge. It paints on like a texture and as far I am aware you cannot have a discrete finish, it sort of tapers off. This is frustrating around track as it tends to have grass growing through the ballast and I cannot get a clean edge like you might see in real life. The other issue is that you cannot "save" the settings so have to create the parameters for each route. But apart from these quiblles, turfx is one of the most significant improvements in route building ever in Trainz. It sure makes a route look more realistic and natural.

At this stage I haven't really played around with it too much
Thanks Mark I haven't really gotten into the TurfFX either mate still just enjoying looking around but the Content Samples Route sure does make this game a ton more enjoyable once we get a handle on the extra's supplied now with the game, Can't wait too see what sum Aussies can come up with in the route building department and your Steam Engine is looking pretty snazzy as well mate keep up the great work.
Cheers Mick.:)

Nice work Stefan, keep at it mate.

Great screenshot Erik.

Good luck Mick with your grass growing. By the way, I know someone who has a spare Victa.

I've gutted my Central electric platforms 16-23 and started the 1950s version. Thanks Aaron for 'straightening' me out and pointing me towards 'curved' platforms instead. It's also given me a chance to install the additional exit stairs my previous version left out.

2018-09-26_173858.jpg

With all those people waiting on the platforms, I'd better get cracking!

By the way, if anyone has any 1950s photos of the platform buildings situated on No's 16-23 for the platform master, waiting room, toilet, etc. They have been modernized over the years, but I'm really looking for the earlier version if possible.

Cheers,
Roy

Hey Roy, have you seen the Six Maps site? It gives an overview of Sydney in 1943 by USAF I think. I bought the disk about 15 years ago but it is now available freely...

http://maps.six.nsw.gov.au/ If you haven't seen it click on Basemaps icon & choose 1943.

Thanks Dom for the link, I have made use of 'SixMaps' on several occasions before and the definition of them is quite clear.

I regularly use 'City of Sydney Atlas' http://atlas.cityofsydney.nsw.gov.au/maps/city-of-sydney-aerial-photographic-survey-1949/ which is set at a later date but not as sharp as SixMaps.

Thanks again mate,
Cheers,
Roy

I was digging around looking for old Central Station departure boards, when I came across this relic.
CENTRAL_DEPARTURE.jpg

I've also been working on a model of the old ticket barriers that were in place on all Sydney stations, before the card-swiping technology was introduced.
TICKET_BARRIER.jpg

These models will be included on my route when it is completed.

Cheers,
Roy

I thought I had Central Station as good as I could make it, but then found a way to take a perspective image and convert it to a full frontal image. So Central station has been rebuilt from scratch again.

Here are a few shots of my recent efforts.
2018-10-02_235937.jpg

2018-10-03_000111.jpg

And of course it wouldn't look right without some 1950s cabs sitting at the rank.
2018-10-02_235555.jpg

A mix of traffic around the terminus.
2018-10-02_235852.jpg

A view from the concourse with the 1950s indicator board and the ticket barriers
Cheers,
Roy

To mark the occasion of my 15th Weddin anniversary.
WeddinNSW track layers finally reach Eugowra. Its taken me nearly as long as it took the original pioneers :)

Approaching Eugowra...

Approaching-Eugowra.jpg

Arriving Eugowra...

Arriving-Eugowra.jpg

Arriving-Eugowra.jpg

From the drone...

My-Trainz-Screenshot-Image.jpg

Phil

Last edited:
Great stuff Phil. I know what you mean when you relate to construction time.

You pay good money to the workers, but they all belong to the union. Sometimes they turn up for work, and when they do, you find them a bit slack, having a smoke or a beer out the back of the shed when there is work to be done. lol

It all takes time and when the grandkids also want to use your computer, then route-building has to take second place.

Keep at it mate.

Cheers,
Roy

Nice shots Phil and Roy, so true about computers and entertaining grandkids.
I've finally got a little bit to show on the Geelong line, I've been doing a little bit of scenery around Newport Workshops. North Williamstown and Newport. You can only lay so many roads before needing to move onto something different. Both Jamies and Aarons routes are very much road laying stage at the moment. I'm still building in T:ANE but testing in TRS19.
Newport Workshops

Newport Workshops from Williamstown Cemetery

Newport Workshops from Williamstown line

cheers
Graeme

Thanks Graeme. I particularly like your trackwork around the Newport yards. The track, ballast and ground cover blend nicely together.

Great work mate.

Cheers,
Roy

Back