RSA Trainz aka AFRI Trainz

RSA Trainz (also known as Afri Trainz from now on) is back and this time we are here to stay.

We are in full swing and working on the famous Sishen to Saldanha Iron Ore Line for Trainz 2012.

Follow us on:

Twitter: - http://twitter.com/#!/RSA_Trainz

Facebook Group: - http://www.facebook.com/groups/rsatrainz/

Facebook Page: - http://www.facebook.com/rsatrainz

Our Website: - http://www.rsatrainz.co.za

About the Line

The Sishen–Saldanha railway line, also known as the Ore Export Line, is an 861 kilometres (535 mi) long heavy haul railway line in South Africa. It connects iron ore mines near Sishen in the Northern Cape with the port at Saldanha Bay in the Western Cape. It is used primarily to transport iron ore and does not carry passenger traffic.

The Sishen–Saldanha line was built by Iscor, the then iron and steel parastatal, opening in 1976. In 1977 the line was transferred to Transnet Freight Rail, then known as South African Railways & Harbours, and a decision was made to electrify the line. A voltage of 50 kV AC was chosen instead of the usual 25 kV in order to haul heavier loads and to allow a larger distance between transformers.

A single set of tracks with ten crossing loops to allow trains travelling in opposite directions to pass was constructed; this has since been increased to 19 crossing loops to increase line capacity.

From an altitude of 1,295 metres (4,249 ft) at Sishen, the line climbs for 42 kilometres (26 mi) before descending to cross the Orange River about 10 kilometres (6 mi) downstream of Groblershoop. For the next 300 kilometres (190 mi), the line rises and falls before descending towards the Atlantic coast. The railway crosses the Olifants River on a 1,035 metres (3,396 ft) viaduct between Vredendal and Lutzville and reaches the coast about 160 kilometres (100 mi) north of Saldanha. From here it follows a coastal route.

Initial train lengths consisted of 3x class 9E electric locomotives, hauling 210 type CR ore wagons with a payload of 80 tons. Upgraded wagons now carry 100 tons. Train lengths have been increased to 342 wagons, employing Radio Distributed Power (RDP) technology. These 4 km long trains (10 locomotives and 342 wagons), are the longest production trains in the world. More than 3,000 of these RDP trains have been operated since launched in December 2007

Last edited:
South African Class 6E
640_My6eRener_1.jpg

and South African Class 34-000
start%20wip08.jpg

Hi guys,

Thank you for providing South African content for Trainz. I am really looking forward to being able to see these beasts in action.

Regards,
Ian

Very nice models! I don't envy you when it comes to UV unwrapping those beasts though, itll take a long time but im sure itll looks good in the end! Are you using the 3D details to make a normal map or getting them in game like that? Looking forward to the U26C!

clas 34-000 is one of my favt engine but unfortunatly i cant find it in good quality.hope this turn to be a good quality

Red Devil/LD Porta/3450 (It is all the same locomotive) looks already great, but I miss the axle-driven air compressor for the sandig equipment.
I'd love to see different conditons of 3450 (Superscript?) (in Trainz) and a few more class 26 locomotives (In Trainz and in Real life aswell).

Very nice models! I don't envy you when it comes to UV unwrapping those beasts though, itll take a long time but im sure itll looks good in the end! Are you using the 3D details to make a normal map or getting them in game like that? Looking forward to the U26C!

The 3D details are for normal maps but some of it will find its way into the game - one thing it has though me is I definitely need a more powerful machine for unwrapping and texturing

Red Devil/LD Porta/3450 (It is all the same locomotive) looks already great, but I miss the axle-driven air compressor for the sandig equipment.
I'd love to see different conditons of 3450 (Superscript?) (in Trainz) and a few more class 26 locomotives (In Trainz and in Real life aswell).

We have the version already in the workshop with the axle driven air compressor

reddevilaxle.jpg

Last edited:
Some More Renders...

The 6E 3D work done 98%

6e_render_6_1024.jpg

Brand new paint job on the 6E (authentic paint colour)
6e_render_1_1024.jpg

UCW plate
6e_render_2_1024.jpg

6E Number Plate
6e_render_3_1024.jpg

On the Roof

6e_render_4_1024.jpg

a couple of years on already

Dirty_6e_2_1024.jpg

and now for some commuter renders

5M2A

5m2a_wip08_1024.jpg

and the bogie detail

5m2a_wip06_1024.jpg

Jan the GL's and the Gnam's is also on the list

Hi enginetension.

That is a big ten4 - like we used to say on the CB radios in the old days !

Are there any plans for the 11E and the coal line ( Mpumalanga - RBCT ) , would be great to have the 200 truck trains up with 6 x 11E's pulling and 37000 diesels banking !

Jan

Hi enginetension.

That is a big ten4 - like we used to say on the CB radios in the old days !

Are there any plans for the 11E and the coal line ( Mpumalanga - RBCT ) , would be great to have the 200 truck trains up with 6 x 11E's pulling and 37000 diesels banking !

Jan

Jan the Sishen line and the Mpumalanga line will both be availble.... we are currently working on one of them... ??????

Back