1st winter storm

This looks like it'll be a good one once everything is done. We got 1/8 of an inch the other day. Now we have nothing. This is quite unusual for New England, and I have a feeling we're in for the same weather we had last year.

John

Well, at least Iowa will have a white Christmas. They were calling for up to 6" here in Chicago overnight, but the weather report seems to be changing hourly. The latest is rain today, wind tomorrow, and no snow. We'll see.

Stay safe out there everyone. Buy your bread, milk, and TP, and remember, just because you have AWD, doesn't mean that the car will stop on snow and ice.

just because you have AWD, doesn't mean that the car will stop on snow and ice.

Yeah but AWD makes for one hell of a fun time in the snow ( ice no fun at all though). Donuts are funnnnn!

Althought this is coming from someone whos owned 4 Subarus now....:D

Yeah but AWD makes for one hell of a fun time in the snow ( ice no fun at all though). Donuts are funnnnn!

Funny story about that, my Jeep, and what MoDot (and the rest of St. Louis) thinks is an appropriate response to snow....

Funny story about that, my Jeep, and what MoDot (and the rest of St. Louis) thinks is an appropriate response to snow....

What gets me are people that go too slow. The speed limit will be lowered to 45 mph due to the storm, but they'll go 7-10 mph. This causes backups like crazy as they get stuck at the bottom of the on ramps and hills. One trip home from work took me 5-1/2 hours to go only 35 miles. I nearly wet myself by the time I made it home!

Then of course there are the idiot jocks who think they can do 70 mph just because they own a 4xdrive truck. You see them fly along then stuck in the snow bank facing the wrong direction.

What Jeep do you have? I have a 2011 Liberty, which is great in the snow. It has real 4xdrive and not the all wheel like some of the newer Cherokees have.

John

Snowing really bad here in Central Illinois. I heard that a train stalled getting to Hilltop on the IMRR which isn't too far from where I live.

Its a steep price to pay, just to get rid of those pesky "Skeeters" ! It's Snow fun, being cold !

I guess "That Weather" is comming, sooner or later ... take care.

Keep yer' rubber side down, and yer' stick on the ice !

If we all suddenly hopped on a plane, and went to Australia, for a winter vacation, to go swimming at the beach tomorrow, would the Earth tilt off it's axis from the weight shift ?

Last edited:
What gets me are people that go too slow. The speed limit will be lowered to 45 mph due to the storm, but they'll go 7-10 mph. This causes backups like crazy as they get stuck at the bottom of the on ramps and hills. One trip home from work took me 5-1/2 hours to go only 35 miles. I nearly wet myself by the time I made it home!

Then of course there are the idiot jocks who think they can do 70 mph just because they own a 4xdrive truck. You see them fly along then stuck in the snow bank facing the wrong direction.

What Jeep do you have? I have a 2011 Liberty, which is great in the snow. It has real 4xdrive and not the all wheel like some of the newer Cherokees have.

John

2012 Wrangler X. I love it. Can't drive it in water or snow in 2WD, it's way too light, but it sticks to the ground in 4WD. The only problem I have with Mopar's 4WD system is the transfer case. In 4HI, I have a hard transfer case, which makes the front wheels slip going around sharp curves.

My usual commute to work was 35 minutes. It snowed half an inch one morning, MoDot never plowed the streets, and the trio took 2 1/2 hours. Plenty of wrecks, cars facing the wrong way, and others just plain stuck. Plus the ***holes who drive 70, like you said.

It just started snowing up here. They're saying half an inch, but who knows. Stay safe everyone.

30 degrees C (just under 90) here tomorrow, looks real dangerous :hehe:

Jamie :p
The wind finally stopped blowing so I could get the snowblower out and clean the driveway out before sunrise. The snow was real hard and crunchy, felt good blowing back into my face (not really) and had to warm my freezing hands on the muffler a few times.

Back