Running Trainz with external FPS limiter

xawery

Has anyone tried running Trainz with any kind of external FPS limiter? Right now i'm experimenting with MSI Afterburner. It's a freeware program that among numerous tweaking tolls offers the option to cap the FPS at any number you desire.
The results has been very promising so far. I'm getting consistent 25FPS on almost every route. In theory one should get the same results from putting "-framerate" and "-framestoaverage" lines in trainzoptions file. However in my case external limiter does a much better job. The overall gameplay is very smooth and almost stutterless.

I've been using -framerete=25 and -framestoaverage=16 in trainzoptions but i've never got a satisfactory results. Capping the FPS at 25 by the mean of external software apparently did the trick for me.

My experience in FSX is similar. I was never able to get rid of stutters with internal limiter until i've tried external tool (small dll called "antilag").

Do you have any experiences to share?

Last edited:
Got a feeling it only works with MSI supplied cards, I've had problems using another brand overclocking program in the past. There is a program called Nvidia Inspector from the Cpuid bunch that works on all Nvidia cards which has a third party hack you can add to limit the FPS, however it doesn't go lower than 30 FPS. Doesn't help with Trainz as I've tried it.

@clam1952
Despite its name MSI afterburner should work with any brand of GPU. It works perfectly with my ASUS HD5670. And you can definitely go lower than 30 FPS (i'm using 25 at the moment). In my case it really helped to reduce stutter (surely - the results may vary between different PCs). I will try to come up with some sort of tutorial when i find some time

Last edited:
Back