Cutting Sections of Track

Rixer

I am modeling the old NYNH&H line from Waterbury, CT to Winsted, CT as it was in the late 1930s. When I started the project, I was new to Trainz, and simply estimated distances between points from Google. Not good! Now, putting in scenery details, I've noticed that some of these distances are off (not way off, but enough to bother me). Is there any way to remove sections of track (land, scenery, etc) and close up the gap? I realize that I will have to do those parts over, but it sure would be better than starting all over again? Appreciate any ideas? Thanks.

Jim

P.S. For those of you who are wondering, the Rixer handle is because I have a '93 RX7 in mint (original) condition (my baby).

You can delete a baseboard (in topography tab) and plop down a new blank baseboard 720m x 720m grid ... but you can not close the gap unless you made 2 copies (clones & rename them) of the routes, edited out the offending baseboard, and merged the 2 routes baseboard segments together.

CascadeRR,

Thanks. I was afraid you would say that. Merging two pieces was going to be my next experiment, but there will be a lot of merges. I might have to reconsider just leaving most of the small discrepancies.

Jim

How far along are you on your route ? weeks ... years ... lots of hand built mountains, and irreplacable/redoable trackage ?

Looks like a nice intersting route location ... please post some screenshots

I am modeling the old NYNH&H line from Waterbury, CT to Winsted, CT as it was in the late 1930s. When I started the project, I was new to Trainz, and simply estimated distances between points from Google. Not good! Now, putting in scenery details, I've noticed that some of these distances are off (not way off, but enough to bother me). Is there any way to remove sections of track (land, scenery, etc) and close up the gap? I realize that I will have to do those parts over, but it sure would be better than starting all over again? Appreciate any ideas? Thanks.

Jim

You can cut and paste. As far as I can tell there's no limit to the area you can specify, other than being able to see where you are pasting it, and you can only move in whole grid squares. Mark the region you want to close up by inserting track splines at the borders, and then deleting the track that's going to be removed. Use the cut tool to define the area that you need to move up. Then paste it to the new location, making sure you paste everything. That a large portion of the pasted area is over an area being copied doesn't matter. Then clean up the area that is left behind.

You will be limited to about one baseboard at a time because of the difficulty of identifying your paste location - you have to use a low angle view to see the edges, and the exact position is hard to identify, depending on the terrain. Markers placed for the purpose can be very useful, ezpecially when combined with bare mounds where the paste border stands out very clearly.

One solution might be to use the cut and paste method to allow you to accumulate the distance errors into portions of the route where the scenery is repetitive and so the errors are not noticeable.

Bob and Everyone,

Thanks for the suggestions. I've decided to leave some of the smaller errors alone. The distance between Thomaston, Ct and Torrington, Ct is twice what it should be (I thought I had done a better job), so what I'm going to do is to work out from both sides and correct the bigger errors ( of course that will increase the distance between those two cities) and then remove one big chunk of track between the two cities and close that up. To answer a question: I've been working on this since February, 2012.

One interesting thing, for those of you who might want to try something like this - Google is pretty much useless. Things really change in 80 years. A lot of track is gone ( the whole stretch from Torrington to Winsted is no more), the beautiful RR station in Torrington was allowed to decay and has been demolished, and there are new modern buildings all over the place. Luckily, I was able to locate a topographic map of CT (1951) which shows roads and track back then. Along with old photos, and my memory (not as good as it was - I grew up there in the 1940s ). Goggle has helped if you know what to look for. Even after 30 years, when a lot of the track was removed, if you look closely, you can still find ghosts of the right-of-way. The run is great, especially with steam. The track follows the Naugatuck river. A lot of opportunities for small bridges and cuts and fills. I will post some pictures.

Jim

Back